Tiesto's Hakkasan residency, is this the end of Ibiza? - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

gotta agree with karlos,
    the only way they would "steal" would-be ibiza customers is if you could actually fly from europe to vegas without blowing your full holiday budget on the flights alone.

I cant speak for NYC, but I used to liv eint he midwest and now that IM on the west coast, LA hads a wayyyyy stronger scene than chi town. Chicago has a few amazing events, but LA has good events all the time.

@squidot, pm me fool. I live in Vegas! And where the hell are you finding tech house on fremont street?
    - Equipment - 2X Technics 1200, 2X Audio Technica ATLP1240, 2X XDJ700, 2X XDJ1000 MK2, Denon DNX-1100, Mixars DUO, DJM750 MK2, NI Audio 10, NI Aduio 4, Serato SL3, 4X Shure M44-7, 2X Ortofon Pro S, 2X Numark Groove Tool, Maschine MK3, Samson Carbon 49, Roland SE-02, Novation Launchcontrol, TouchOSC, Nocation Peak, Arturia MiniBrute, Korg Volca Kick, MicroKorg (Classic), NI Komplete Audio 6

Quote Originally Posted by hellnegative View Post
    And where the hell are you finding tech house on fremont street?
    ^^^ This! I live in LA but like most of LA I wind up in Vegas every once in a while, and the music in nearly every club I've been to generally sucks. I'd love to know if there's any underground tech house or actually pretty much anything electronic going on there.

As for what effect anything Tiesto does (or anything that happens in Vegas) will have on Ibiza, I agree with everyone else here, absolutely nothing. Never heard of this club (and there's one in LA too!) and I'd never go see Tiesto in either place so I really couldn't care less. And I'm happy to say there will be one more American in Ibiza this summer for a couple of days
    "Art is what you can get away with." - Marshall McLuhan

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Polygon View Post
    I know this has been discussed thoroughly in other threads, but only now i see that tiesto, harris, deadmau5 and aoki have signed up for actual residencies at the club...
    Whaddya think?
    I doubt it would affect Ibiza at all, completely different places and tbh completely different ethos; one is a hedonistic, lose yourself a little experience whereas the other is a commercial, money making machine!

As has been mentioned, Hackmysac is pretty much for the domestic US market or those already visiting Vegas, I can't imagine Easyjet and the like advertising £49 returns to Vegas any time soon

Also, IMHO, it won't be a bad thing to have those DJ's away from Ibiza, they represent something very different to what my feelings are about Ibiza - purely my opinon of course.
    20+ years man & boy, working the platters that matter. D3EP DJ.

Quote Originally Posted by Karlos Santos View Post
    I don't understand how this question was ever asked (no offence). How would a club chain opening in Las Vegas and other cities affect the the whole tourist industry of an island that is famous the WHOLE WORLD OVER.
    I asked this because big clubs in ibiza are kinda sorta stopping signing residencies with big dj's.. And while what you said about being it cheaper for europeans is completely true, just try to imagine an ibiza with no known dj's. It'd decline very rapidly, and if vegas is starting now, i can only imagine it being massive by then, attracting not only americans but europeans, too, maybe with arrangements for cheaper, no-baggage flights to LV..

Now, i'm not talking about 1-2 years , more like 10-15 yrs from now. And i totally see this situation as a possible one.
    Last edited by Polygon; 05-03-2013 at 03:28 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by donstone View Post
    I only use VINYL flooring. Rugs are for cheaters.
    Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    If you can't find an Abba song that you like, you are a liar of the highest order.

Quote Originally Posted by hellnegative View Post
    I cant speak for NYC, but I used to liv eint he midwest and now that IM on the west coast, LA hads a wayyyyy stronger scene than chi town. Chicago has a few amazing events, but LA has good events all the time.

@squidot, pm me fool. I live in Vegas! And where the hell are you finding tech house on fremont street?
    i caught some tech house a couple of nights at downtown cocktail room. it was by a dj who was surprisingly using traktor but i wasn't able to catch his name. every other time i've been there (when someone is djing) it's been funky, deep house vibes and one time there was a dude playing trumpet over the dj. pretty cool stuff. i haven't been there in a few months though, so not sure if the vibes have changed. i hope not.

they were also playing some nice deep tunes at vanguard a while back but the last time i went it was a kind of top 40/classics type situation. i've heard they do some popular hip hop too...kind of a shame because i really liked it when they kept it underground. hopefully they still have some of those nights going on.

they were also playing a combo of deep, prog, and tech/tribal house the few times i've been to lady silvia but there was no dj on the decks. i can only assume their djs play a similar vibe, but i'm not sure since i have yet to see someone actually playing there.

i'll definitely hit you up sometime though dude! i haven't really gone out and about for a little bit so i wanna check back into the downtown sounds soon.
    Last edited by squidot; 05-03-2013 at 04:22 AM.
    tsp 2.5 | vci-400 ege | mfspectra | kontrol x1s | rokit 8s (ferrari grey) | krk 10 sub | audio 8
    hp dv6 - i5 - 8gb | maschine | mpk49 | apc40 | rokit 5s | technics sl-1200mk3ds | cdj100s
    thread of free music

Vegas cannot be compared to Ibiza. Also i don't think there is a decent techno club in vegas.
    Techno Producer and Dj//Upcoming releases on Discovery Records and other labels//Australia//https://soundcloud.com/mrmye

Tech Guru

I asked this because big clubs in ibiza are kinda sorta stopping signing residencies with big dj's.. And while what you said about being it cheaper for europeans is completely true, just try to imagine an ibiza with no known dj's. It'd decline very rapidly, and if vegas is starting now, i can only imagine it being massive by then, attracting not only americans but europeans, too, maybe with arrangements for cheaper, no-baggage flights to LV..

Now, i'm not talking about 1-2 years , more like 10-15 yrs from now. And i totally see this situation as a possible one.
    Hi Polygon, I can see what you're saying but personally I can't see Vegas replacing Ibiza, they're completely different in so many ways not just geographically. Ibiza is special and as much as Vegas may grow with the current US mainstream popularity of dance music or 'EDM', this will eventually die away and the mainstream will move on to the next big thing and therefore so will the Vegas clubs.

Vegas smacks of making money, bottom line. And although it could be argued the large clubs in Ibiza are out to do the same, the ethos of Ibiza is different, it's about the experience - as much as Vegas can book 'big name DJs' to fill venues night after night, it cannot compete with history of the Balearic Island and Vegas throwing a load of money at it, such as Hakkasan, won't work either. You cannot 'buy' it.
    20+ years man & boy, working the platters that matter. D3EP DJ.

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

Ah right, yeah with you now. Get ya.

No, it won't happen... ever. I don't think the prices would ever come down that far and also , dont you have to be 21 to drink in America. Not gonna get any young Brits going if they cant get smashed.

Quote Originally Posted by backtothefront View Post
    throwing a load of money at it, such as Hakkasan, won't work either. You cannot 'buy' it.
    100% agree. History tells us that when people throw money into 'creating' an instant appeal dance culture it fails.
    'Home' (nightclub) anyone ?

Good stuff grows over time. Great clubs, cities, festivals grow and become great when people deem it right as and when they develop and become wonderful, beautiful and cherished.

You cannot buy the respect and love of genuine music lovers. You have to earn it.

These dick-wads going to clubs with expensive tables and champagne are anathema to what I believe makes a great club or a great scene... it's pathetic, horrible, ostentatious and the worst aspect of clubbing.

Again, no disrespect to the anyone from Las Vegas but isn't this the place that has a mock up of the Eifel Tower and the Pont di Rialto and the Taj Mahal and just about any other significant wonder of the world. I suppose it's only fitting that they make a mock super club.

Maybe they will have some genuine San Antonio sand flown in and charge a $1000 a glass.

i'm sure the entire island is currently ripping its hair out over tiesto and a few others not gracing them with their presence...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast