Hey guys, could use some advice on a new DJ setup purchase!
    Tech Convert

Default Hey guys, could use some advice on a new DJ setup purchase!

So I'm planning on getting a complete new setup (I'm new to DJing) but I plan on making a career out of producing/djing so I'm not going for cheap gear. I was aiming towards a DJM Nexus 2000, Traktor, Allen & Heath K2, and Lemur iPad. Any thoughts on why I should/shouldn't go for it?
    Cheers!

Tech Wizard

If you're new to DJing, you should "test the waters" first. It's too early to plan on making a career out of producing and DJing when you haven't put many hours into it. Imagine how much it would suck to buy expensive gear and figure out in a few months that DJing just isn't your thing!

I would grab a beginner controller like the Kontrol S2 to start. It's not too much money, has great features and is good quality. Hook it up to your laptop and have fun. Then when you've put lots of hours into mixing, you will have an idea of what gear would really be suitable for you and what direction you'd like to go in.

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by protocol View Post
    If you're new to DJing, you should "test the waters" first. It's too early to plan on making a career out of producing and DJing when you haven't put many hours into it. Imagine how much it would suck to buy expensive gear and figure out in a few months that DJing just isn't your thing!

I would grab a beginner controller like the Kontrol S2 to start. It's not too much money, has great features and is good quality. Hook it up to your laptop and have fun. Then when you've put lots of hours into mixing, you will have an idea of what gear would really be suitable for you and what direction you'd like to go in.
    Well I've been practicing for a year without my own gear, I'd still call that new IMO. No way I'm a don at the art yet! haha I've been using a DJM-850 and CDJ-900s with Serato in the meanwhile though. My brother in law tours full time as a producer/DJ so I've got a hell of a mentor! Definitely going in on it, I'm just not quite tech savvy as everyone else yet. He uses Serato as well with a Pioneer setup so he can't really help out when it comes to midi controllers/traktor. I'm going to be playing tech house, techno, and around the lines of deep house if that makes any difference! Thanks!

Tech Mentor

This is what I did when I first started and I do not regret it one bit.

I bought some second hand cheap technics 1210 m5g's. Mine were in perfectly good mechanical condition. Only issue was that someone had spray painted them white on the top and shit brown on the bottom. They work no problem, just don't look the business so to speak.

I then bought a traktor audio 6.

I then bought a 2nd hand Xone 22 and mixed with DVS. By this time I had already learnt to mix using CDJ 1K m3's but this was my first complete setup.

I then added a Kontrol X1 so I didn't need to touch the computer.

Finally I bought a novation twitch to play at house parties and practice when gigging at another city.

I still use this setup. WTB new 4 channel mixer though.

Honestly start CHEAP and then work your way up. Leaves you a LOT more money to buy tunes. You support the artists right? who produce them?

Tech Wizard

I'm with everyone else on starting cheap, probably because almost everyone starts that way out of necessity. Just to give you an idea, when I started I bought the cheapest Stanton Vinyl Package available. I originally just wanted to mix but then got into turntablism pretty quickly. My TT's were so entry level they had absolutely no decent controls (height, anti-skate, etc.), so I had to learn how to handle vinyl with the utmost delicacy, or it would skip all over the place. At that point I though "Man I really need some better TT's". It took me months before I finally got the point when I really knew what I enjoyed and wanted to do, which gave me an idea of what gear I should invest in.

This is why I think if you're just starting out, get whatever you can afford and practice like crazy on it. There will be a point where that gear might be holding you back, but by then you already know what you like to do and what gear fits that bill. That's why it's best to go cheap, 'cause you'll probably want to upgrade eventually.

The only other thing I would suggest is to consider your starting route. Pick 1 of the 3:
    1. Vinyl (DVS)
    2. CDJ (Controlled)
    3. Controllerism

The DVS isn't required, but it's an option. Just pick whatever you think makes the most sense for now. If after a while your initial choice isn't grooving, you can always add a controller, TT, CDJ, etc. to your set and branch out. This way you'll learn what works best for you, while learning DJ fundamentals, and you won't break the bank!

In terms of what you're looking at. The DJM 2000 Nexus is a high level mixer (with a price tag to match). I personally thinks it's too much money for someone just starting out, this is the sort of mixer people buy to finish their set, not start it. Traktor is a good idea, never too early to invest in DJ software since you can always switch between controlling it with Vinyl, CDJ's or controllers, and you'll save money versus buying vinyl and CD's. The K2 isn't a bad idea, but why not opt for a X1 or F1 from NI? I just figure that would make more sense when getting into controllers if you're going to start with Traktor. That way you can ease your way into mapping and see if that's something for you. Lemur is a sandbox, endless possibilities but useless with no direction. I highly recommend it, but only if you have a clear idea of how you plan to use it (probably best to use once you're comfortable mapping stuff). I think if you just simplify some of your choices you'll end up with a set that has good cohesion and will allow you to learn everything you need and more. If you need more help deciding on actual pieces of gear just let me know.

Hope this helps!