How did you guys get your first gig?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default How did you guys get your first gig?

I am a beginner DJ and I have been bedroom DJing for the past year and I think I am decent enough to start playing for public.
    The problem is I don't know where to start to get my first gig, so I am wondering, how/where/when did you get your first gig?
    I'm only 16, is it even possible to play in clubs? Probably not haha..
    Also, the only equipment I have is my laptop, Traktor S2, and TouchOSC on my iPhone. I havent looked into speakers or anything because I just use my computer speakers, what would I need to start?

Anyways, yeah! How did you get your first gig?
    anddd
    What styles of music do you spin?

Also while I'm at it, tips for beginner Ableton live user? I have started trying to make songs myself with Ableton. I preordered the Arturia Minilab, and meanwhile Im just using my keyboard and drawing notes in
    Last edited by Ugadeee; 05-04-2013 at 03:00 AM.

Tech Guru

Hugs
    Last edited by Jester; 05-07-2013 at 08:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by oliosky View Post
    Hugs
    no you didn't..
    Last edited by Jester; 05-07-2013 at 08:40 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by donstone View Post
    I only use VINYL flooring. Rugs are for cheaters.
    Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    If you can't find an Abba song that you like, you are a liar of the highest order.

Quote Originally Posted by Ugadeee View Post
    I am a beginner DJ and I have been bedroom DJing for the past year and I think I am decent enough to start playing for public.
    The problem is I don't know where to start to get my first gig, so I am wondering, how/where/when did you get your first gig?
    I'm only 16, is it even possible to play in clubs? Probably not haha..
    Also, the only equipment I have is my laptop, Traktor S2, and TouchOSC on my iPhone. I havent looked into speakers or anything because I just use my computer speakers, what would I need to start?

Anyways, yeah! How did you get your first gig?
    anddd
    What styles of music do you spin?

Also while I'm at it, tips for beginner Ableton live user? I have started trying to make songs myself with Ableton. I preordered the Arturia Minilab, and meanwhile Im just using my keyboard and drawing notes in
    Our first gig (i have a duo with a friend) was at our school. Thing is, it was something new for them, we live remixed some tracks by the school band and they went mad crazy on us.
    From there i talked with a loungebar owner and he gave us a residency, and from there gigs started just happening :P

This however is in a small, up-in-the-mountains country, so where you live might be different.

Edit: oh yeah, we started out with nothing but our 2 laptops and vdj, and we went on borrowing a little controller from a friend
    Last edited by Polygon; 05-04-2013 at 07:00 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by donstone View Post
    I only use VINYL flooring. Rugs are for cheaters.
    Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    If you can't find an Abba song that you like, you are a liar of the highest order.

I got my first gig by speaking to a local promoter and asking how I could get a set in his club - he said to give him a demo CD showing my styles and range of sounds, it took me over a year to get the right equipment after that as I didn't want to attempt a set on 1210s after learning to mix on Numarks.

When I finally got the set I took some cds along to give out, met some more promoters and carried on until I started gigging on a regular basis. I also worked hard on forums/message boards making sure people know what I was doing and where I was going to be, promoters love all that.
    13" Macbook Pro i7/8gb/750gb :: Traktor S4 + F1 + Pro 2 :: Allen & Heath DB4 :: Allen & Heath K2 :: Midi Fighter Classic :: Midi Fighter Pro (BM) :: Midi Fighter 3D :: Pioneer RMX1000 :: DJM800 :: 2 xCDJ1000mk3 :: Beats Pro + Beats Studio

Production work>DJs and Promoters take interest>Gig

I created it? I' m currently approaching my local bar to create my own Tech House night, once a month. And I think it will work. If you can't find a scene, create one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ross View Post
    We could make love next to your DJM2000, you could caress the EQ knobs as I hit the effects button... It would be so perfect.
    DJM-2000 + X1 + A8 + MBP 13 (early 2013)
    Backup: S4 - S2 - CDJ-400s - T.62s

I think the best way to enter the scene is to organize a event. And it's hella fun !

a lot of talking can help.

Tech Guru

All about knowing the right people.

My first gig stories are a bit different, my first gig was when i was 11 playing ska and metal to a beer tent full of bikers because a DJ didn't turn up, then when i was 15 i was playing in a biker/rock bar because my family were involved with it, probably a bit of a special case though!

For you, i'd just spend time building your own musical knowledge and do some production as well, then when you're old enough to be out and about, network like crazy! It's even easier nowdays to network with the internet, especially if you have productions under your belt you could jump straight in to clubs as soon as you're of age.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast