What should I do? - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Tech Guru

Second hand Maschine mk 1 for your beats + Akai lpk 25 for basslines/chords + the DAW of your choice and you're set.

Quote Originally Posted by Drade View Post
    What are the pros/cons of using a keyboard or pads?
    If you're a pianist or have piano skills / are classically trained, the keyboard is useful because it's like a piano. It's much easier to play huge ranges with all 88 keys (or even 61, etc) at your fingertips.

Pads can be a much more expressive and effective solution for rhythmic sounds like drums and, especially in the case of QuNeo (X-Y, poly aftertouch, velocity) or Maschine (super sensitive, velocity, poly aftertouch), provide a great way to integrate performances into productions and vice versa.

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by botstein View Post
    If you're a pianist or have piano skills / are classically trained, the keyboard is useful because it's like a piano. It's much easier to play huge ranges with all 88 keys (or even 61, etc) at your fingertips.

Pads can be a much more expressive and effective solution for rhythmic sounds like drums and, especially in the case of QuNeo (X-Y, poly aftertouch, velocity) or Maschine (super sensitive, velocity, poly aftertouch), provide a great way to integrate performances into productions and vice versa.
    I see, I have no piano skills at all and have never played the piano so would you recommend me going for a pad controller? Also why are you against the Ableton Push?

Sorry for all the questions I'm really just interested in all there is to know and want to learn.

I see, I have no piano skills at all and have never played the piano so would you recommend me going for a pad controller? Also why are you against the Ableton Push?
    Well, maybe. If you want to learn to play the piano, a keyboard makes sense. A lot of musicians start with piano and / or consider it home.

Maschines / pads are fun. I think they are great for beginners, too. You seem to be interested in a lot of music, but if you have a taste for beats you're very probably going to want some pads.

Push doesn't really deliver on the things that I expect out of Ableton or any controller- it has virtually no functionality to do with editing audio, and makes you use the mouse. I maintain that putting the encoders above the screen is dumb (I don't find that it makes any difference whether I'm seated or standing). I think that the pads on Push and the MPC controllers are inferior to Maschine's pads.

Sorry for all the questions I'm really just interested in all there is to know and want to learn.
    No problem.

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by botstein View Post
    Well, maybe. If you want to learn to play the piano, a keyboard makes sense. A lot of musicians start with piano and / or consider it home.

Maschines / pads are fun. I think they are great for beginners, too. You seem to be interested in a lot of music, but if you have a taste for beats you're very probably going to want some pads.

Push doesn't really deliver on the things that I expect out of Ableton or any controller- it has virtually no functionality to do with editing audio, and makes you use the mouse. I maintain that putting the encoders above the screen is dumb (I don't find that it makes any difference whether I'm seated or standing). I think that the pads on Push and the MPC controllers are inferior to Maschine's pads.

No problem.
    I specifically am aiming to make EDM such as Electro House, Progressive House, Trance and Tech House mainly, then of course a little of other EDM sub genres besides Trap. I could always buy one before buying the other but there's so many options/decisions. Which would be the most cost effective/worth the price? Do you think I should get the Maschine with its production software to start off with? Or a Midi Keyboard with a certain DAW?

You can reply here or just PM me your thoughts, whichever is easier?

Tech Mentor

Honestly, you don't need a controller to create music at all, that is the beauty of the advance in technology. In 1988, you needed at least a sample, a synth, a mixer and DAT, today only a laptop is necessary. I owned a lot of controllers during the last years and sold almost all of them. Yes it is nice to have the tactile feel but is it really necessary especially if you are on a budget and wants to create electronic music? I don't think so. If you are not a trained pianist or interested in hip hop music, you don't need a controller.

For pad controllers, I had LPD 8 (nice and portable and cheap), Korg Pad kontrol (very nice pads and cheap), Maschine MK1, Mikro Mk1 and MK2 (great quality but moving the projects to ableton Live was a chore), Midi Fighter (Very nice for DJing not so for production due to the lack of velocity), Akai APC 40 (Big and bulky but was nice for Live), Launchpad (my favorite with LPC by Native Kontrol and the monome M4L devices, portable and powerful but no velocity) and finally Push (Great but honestly it is not worth the price tag of $599). Push came with a damaged pad so I returned it and because the new batch are coming at the end of June, I will see if i really "need" it.

Keyboard: LPK 25 (still have it, will sell it when Qunexus is released - very useful if you're traveling and playing drums and simple bassline on it is fine), M-audio keys (piece of crap), Novation SL Remote 25 (very nice keybed but the pots were awful), Novation Impulse 49 (very cheap quality of pots and faders, pads were okay), Arturia 32 (my favorite, great quality and no useless pads that are crammed on a keyboard). Push was nice for melodies especially in scale mode but nothing that can be done with your mouse and some basic knowledge of music theory (or the Scales Live midi effect and any cheap keyboard).

Today I only use an iPad with Griid, Touchable, Lemur and V-control for controling softwares, a minibrute (great synth and keys, 1 knob per function: perfect) and eurorack modules (that is highly dangerous if you have GAS).

I really think that for most electronic music controllers are not essential. Just a laptop and maybe a MPK mini to bang some midi notes in real time is I think a perfect setup for beginners. Sometimes you are using a controller for tasks that are better suited for the mouse, yes it is less fun than Push or Maschine but don't believe the hype, these are just tools! Buy a Mpk mini used, Live 9 and you are set!

Enjoy the summer, it is finally getting nicer in Chicago!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234