Helppppp I'm an idiot.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default Helppppp I'm an idiot.

Okay, so I'm not a complete idiot but I got you to read this post right? My old setup was my MBP, S4, and a MF3D. About a week ago I bought a technic, and consequently Traktor scratch. I've installed it and got it running smoothly, BUT while my collection of music is there, when I load them into a deck, none of my cue points / beat grids are coming up.

I've spent so much time fixing my grids and mapping my songs with cue points, I know I can save and import a collection but I didn't save my collection before I upgraded my software. I literally thought about saving my entire collection as I was opening scratch, but was to excited to play with it, stupid.

Does anyone know how I can get my Traktor S4 collection into Scratch? It's saved somewhere obviously I'm just unsure how to go about it. Basically I just want my collection that I was literally working on last week, in my current version of traktor.

I was considering using my external HDD that I back my computer up on every now and then, but I haven't done this in over 2 months and would lose a lot of work this way, plus that doesn't solve the problem of me not knowing how to find/do it lol.
    13" MBP 4GB RAM // Kontrol S4 // MF3D // V-Moda LP II's // Rokit 6's // Sony MDR-V700's

there is no difference in software between traktor pro and traktor scratch pro. scratch just opens up the timecode functions after you input your code into the service center. it sounds like you just upgraded in general, which wasn't really necessary.

have you tried re-analyzing a song or two from your "old" collection?

if that doesn't work you can go into your traktor folder (not sure where this is on mac) and look in there for a backup of your collection when it was working.
    tsp 2.5 | vci-400 ege | mfspectra | kontrol x1s | rokit 8s (ferrari grey) | krk 10 sub | audio 8
    hp dv6 - i5 - 8gb | maschine | mpk49 | apc40 | rokit 5s | technics sl-1200mk3ds | cdj100s
    thread of free music

DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

It's in a folder called Backup inside your traktor's install folder. Each time you save the collection (ie: close traktor) a new file is created and the old one is dumped in there.

Tech Mentor

THis is one the reasons why I converted all my lossless music to .aiff file format. It was the only format which I could get ID3 tags, traktor tags and serato tags all saved into the file, readable by itunes, traktor and itch.

You might want to look into this a little more and make sure that you are using a file format which traktor supports saving its native tags into.

I never have a problem with deleting my collection or restarting it, all the beatgrid informaton is saved inside the tags and I lock the grid so it doesn't get replaced upon analysis.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaek View Post
    THis is one the reasons why I converted all my lossless music to .aiff file format. It was the only format which I could get ID3 tags, traktor tags and serato tags all saved into the file, readable by itunes, traktor and itch.

You might want to look into this a little more and make sure that you are using a file format which traktor supports saving its native tags into.

I never have a problem with deleting my collection or restarting it, all the beatgrid informaton is saved inside the tags and I lock the grid so it doesn't get replaced upon analysis.
    Interesting, can you collaborate on how to do this????
    MBP 13' 256 SSD 8Gb RAM. Traktor Scratch Pro 2.6.8 | MF Classic | NI Audio 2 | NI Audio 10 | CDJ1000MK3 (2) | Technics 1200MKII (4) | A&H Xone 92 (UK) | NI Kontrol F1 | Ipad 4 | Korg Kaoss Pad Mini | Ableton Live Suite.

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by squidot View Post
    there is no difference in software between traktor pro and traktor scratch pro. scratch just opens up the timecode functions after you input your code into the service center. it sounds like you just upgraded in general, which wasn't really necessary.

have you tried re-analyzing a song or two from your "old" collection?

if that doesn't work you can go into your traktor folder (not sure where this is on mac) and look in there for a backup of your collection when it was working.

I needed the time-code ability of the scratch upgrade, I had whatever the S4 version of traktor, and could use my technic as a live input but not with my digital tracks. That's why I bought scratch.

I have tried re-analyzing some of my tracks that I am POSITIVE I had beat grids and cue points set up in before I made the switch, and nothing.

I found some backup-traktor files right before I upgraded with the file name: collection_2013y04m30d_18h27m17s.nml ......but Traktor isn't letting me load this as a collection. Clearly I'm thinking this isn't the correct file lol.
    13" MBP 4GB RAM // Kontrol S4 // MF3D // V-Moda LP II's // Rokit 6's // Sony MDR-V700's

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by padi_04 View Post
    It's in a folder called Backup inside your traktor's install folder. Each time you save the collection (ie: close traktor) a new file is created and the old one is dumped in there.
    I found the files but traktor won't load them. I've tried to files that I found, one with a file name collection.nml and one with a name called collection_2013y04m30d_18h27m17s.nml ....once I load them traktor says "Some files have different tags then what is in your current library, which would you like to use?" I choose the files being loaded, not the current files, and then nothing really happens. Except all of my tracks are now not in my collection, its just blank. My playlists are still there and it still lists how many artists, genres, etc. I have but no tracks. I'll attach a screenshot below.

I'm pretty upset about this Screen Shot 2013-05-08 at 2.52.06 PM.jpg

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Kaek View Post

I would REALLY love to do this so I don't have to worry about this ever again, can you point MrAybar and I in the correct direction ??

Tech Guru

You need to delete the one named collection that's in the main folder, and then re-name the backup one collection and move it out of the backup folder to the main folder

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by manchild View Post
    You need to delete the one named collection that's in the main folder, and then re-name the backup one collection and move it out of the backup folder to the main folder
    Do you have any idea which one file will work ?? or will either of these work ?? collection_2013y04m30d_18h27m17s.nml collection.nml <---just a collection.nml file from a day or two before I upgraded

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast