Collection syncing among computers and backup Nirvana
    Tech Convert

Default Collection syncing among computers and backup Nirvana

So I've read just about every thread I can find on syncing and backups, etc - Played with a few schemes to accomplish a few goals as simply and gracefully as can be managed, but need some advice.

The goal: Create a method of keeping one prep computer (desktop hackintosh w/ separate music drive) one playout computer (MBPro w External HD) and one backup (MB air w/ external HD) all in sync with regard to Traktor. That means pre-gig, everything pushes from the Desktop to the Lappys, then post-gig, everything pushes from the Playout lappy back to the Desk and backup rig.

It SEEMS like backing up and distributing the Traktor root and music libraries are the way to go - The problem, is that the music - as Traktor sees it - is always "missing" after an update from another computer. This, of course makes sense: Move the collection to a new computer, and suddenly the music is no longer where it used to be. (I sure wish there was a baked-in way to point Traktor at root music folder, and as long as the contents were the same, have it "just work.")

This is somewhat addressed in many threads that discuss "moving" a collection either for better housekeeping or when swapping a drive in an emergency, but doing a consistency check and then re-locating the library each time doesn't seem feasible for a library that's over 100 gigs. (I also think it is way too cumbersome to be a recovery method for a pre or (god forbid) mid-gig crash, so my plan-b is another laptop.) Is there a way around all this?

One possibility I've considered is using external drives and giving them all identical names. One reason I keep trying to think beyond this is that I'd like to find a solution that also allows for multiple users to gig off the same laptop after a quick drive change. Not really feasible to have everyone name their drives identically.

For some of the same reasons, iTunes is kind of a non-starter for me, and because I simply don't trust Apple not to suddenly and arbitrarily break iTunes for our purposes.

I'd love to hear if anyone's been down this road, and how they worked it out. Thanks in advance!

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mojoworkin View Post
    (I sure wish there was a baked-in way to point Traktor at root music folder, and as long as the contents were the same, have it "just work.")
    There is. Just have the Hard Drives in both machines named exactly the same and have the music in exactly the same root folder with the exact same path.

When ever I buy a new Mac I make sure the HDD is named the same as my current mac. That way I can use the same Time Machine backup and make my new machine the same as my current machine.

I use iTunes and have done since say one using Traktor 8 years ago. No problems at all.
    With Home Sharing it's easy to have both machines have identical libraries.

I can copy over my Traktor Collection from my gig mac to by backup mac and do not have to perform relocate.

I do the same as the previous poster on my pc's at home. I also have a backup hard drive already caddied for my laptop in case mine e ever crashes I just slide the backup in and go.
    - Equipment - 2X Technics 1200, 2X Audio Technica ATLP1240, 2X XDJ700, 2X XDJ1000 MK2, Denon DNX-1100, Mixars DUO, DJM750 MK2, NI Audio 10, NI Aduio 4, Serato SL3, 4X Shure M44-7, 2X Ortofon Pro S, 2X Numark Groove Tool, Maschine MK3, Samson Carbon 49, Roland SE-02, Novation Launchcontrol, TouchOSC, Nocation Peak, Arturia MiniBrute, Korg Volca Kick, MicroKorg (Classic), NI Komplete Audio 6

Tech Convert

Makes total sense. Thanks!