Does your play style change when you use CDJs? - Page 2
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Fk those "real DJs" that rag on u. I use an s4 strictly cause I live in center city and apartments are small so Space is limited. And if any DJ ever said anything to me to my face, I'd have no problem putting them in there place.

Thing is, I use my s4 as CDJs without an interface. I have my laptop about a foot to my right so I only look at it to select tracks. I don't even bother with wave forms.

Learn how a song is constructed. Build up, breakdown, sections, and learn how to find where the "one" is just by listening. Not by looking. This is why phrasing is important.
    I'm a fan of all things art. Music, film, photography, acting, dancing. Expression is powerful.
    www.twitter.com/mtlgrrr
    www.soundcloud.com/mtlgrrr
    www.facebook.com/mtlgrrr

Nice post.

It's not WHAT you're using, but HOW you're using it that matters.
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Tech Mentor

Are people dancing when you play do they look happy 99% of the audience does not care if you using a laptop or cdj's or vinyl.

Quote Originally Posted by Dhinojosa94 View Post
    Im one of the few residents that uses MIDI, and i usually get put down by other, older residents scolding me on how real djs use cdjs bla bla, not the point of the thread. I use midi cause it improves my performance su much, having visual references i can mix songs so that intros of one son overlap perfectly with the drop of the other one and so on, sadly i havent been able to achieve this with cdjs and i dont want to risk my job. When i use cdjs i find myself playing one track to the end, where i just play the outro with the intro of the next and so on. Recently i noticed that all the other local djs do this aswell, they just use large mashups instead of individual tracks. Should i bother trying to learn cdjs as well as i know midi or do i continue doing my midi?
    then you need to step your game up.

Quote Originally Posted by johney View Post
    then you need to step your game up.
    yes, that is true. while its shitty to rip on someone cause they use a controller... ur not actually DJing when your using wave forms, your more so playing tetris, trying to fit things together.
    I'm a fan of all things art. Music, film, photography, acting, dancing. Expression is powerful.
    www.twitter.com/mtlgrrr
    www.soundcloud.com/mtlgrrr
    www.facebook.com/mtlgrrr

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by slinkydisc View Post
    Are people dancing when you play do they look happy 99% of the audience does not care if you using a laptop or cdj's or vinyl.
    No but plenty of club owners do.

I this turning into another CDJ vs controller argument. Say what you will, but there's plenty of places that you simply CAN NOT bring a controller for various reasons - not allowed, doesn't fit, etc. Having said that Im sure there's also plenty of places that you can....but that means without knowing how to play on CDJ's you're limited on where you can play, and if that happens then Yes, step up your game and learn. There's tons you can do on CDJ's these days.
    SSL - DJM 800 - Technic 1200's - X1 - ITCH - NS6 - VCI-300

Nope.....with newer CDJs I still have waveforms, loops, and hot cues. It's the same as Traktor without the computer. Get with the program and invest in Rekordbox and learn how to use it.

Unless you're one of those MIDI controller DJs that like to use a beatmasher effect every bar.....jk....seriously though....don't if you do.
    A&H Xone DB4 l (2) Traktor Kontrol X1 MK2 l Maschine MK2 l Traktor Scratch Pro l Ableton
    Avalon (Hollywood) l Exchange LA (Los Angeles) l DS#ARP LA (Los Angeles) l Undercurrent (San Diego) l Frenzy Afterhours (Los Angeles) l AL Party (Los Angeles) l Spin (San Diego) l Sutra (Orange County) l Monarch (San Francisco)

better on CDJs, because your listening closer to the music rather than watching the waveform,

saying that im quite bad for looking at the waveform on 1k+'s, but only glancing
    DJM800 | 2xCDJ2000 | RMX1000 | Adidas HD25's
    2011 MBP | Traktor 2.6 | Kontrol S4 | Scratch Live | SL2
    Mac Pro | Ableton | Access Virus C | Maschine
    Facebook || Soundcloud || Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by djmetalgear View Post
    Fk those "real DJs" that rag on u. I use an s4 strictly cause I live in center city and apartments are small so Space is limited. And if any DJ ever said anything to me to my face, I'd have no problem putting them in there place.

Thing is, I use my s4 as CDJs without an interface. I have my laptop about a foot to my right so I only look at it to select tracks. I don't even bother with wave forms.

Learn how a song is constructed. Build up, breakdown, sections, and learn how to find where the "one" is just by listening. Not by looking. This is why phrasing is important.
    Im a producer myself, i know how to "feel" the track taking cues from the song to know where the middle of the intro is and stuff, i guess since im just breaking in im too nervouse to mess it up on a cdj id rather play it safe

pussy.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast