Traktor S4, is it too late ?
    Tech Convert

Default Traktor S4, is it too late ?

I recently decided to upgrade my controller, since i have a really old one. After digging into every controller i found that the s4 fulfills all my requirements compared to the others. My main worry is that the s4 has been out for long now, is NI going to release a new controller ? Is it worth to buy the s4 now ? I don't want to risk the fiasco of buying an s4 just before something new is released.

Any suggestions ?

If it fits your needs, why would it be a fiasco to buy it?

Seriously, people should stop focussing on getting the latest and shiniest and focus more on how you want to DJ and what makes you happy and enables you to do your thing.
    2x A. Audio HTD 4.5 | Sony MDR 7506 | Xone:4D | Sony Vaio E i7 | 2x KRK 8 | Traktor Scratch Pro 2 | Launchpad | NI Maschine | NI Komplete 8 | Ableton Live 9

there are a few newer controllers out by pioneer and vci that you should check out as well. integration wise, the s4 is a great controller but the build quality (especially with my beta version of the controller ) leaves a lot to be desired
    Maschine Routine with live musicians
    http://youtu.be/ubEQZSvocto
    fb: http://www.facebook.com/djizn

i bought the s4 about a year ago. i know the features like the back of my hand. even if NI came out with a new one, I dont know if Id switch right away. maybe after a year or two... but im so comfortable with the s4 that I dont really want to get used to another controller. so just get it. you can always resell it on craiglist or on here...
    I'm a fan of all things art. Music, film, photography, acting, dancing. Expression is powerful.
    www.twitter.com/mtlgrrr
    www.soundcloud.com/mtlgrrr
    www.facebook.com/mtlgrrr

I would like a controller with 4 FX on/off buttons on each channel. I could map it, but I can't really be bothered right now.

I mapped flux to the cue buttons. When I hit shift+cue on the relevant channel it toggles flux. I would really like the cue button to flash when it's on, but hey-ho

I would like a controller that is better made, has push up and down (kill switches) knobs for the filters and eq's, like the gain knob has to reset the gain, or on/off buttons to the sides. I would like the 4 x FX on/off buttons for each channel, and even 2 more fx banks at the top. And CDJ style platters.

Have an additional shift button. Shift is useful for mappings, but it would be good to have an additional one (option button)

Not much to ask

Would be good to have FX send and returns too, but that would be bit much to ask.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Timbo21 View Post
    I would like a controller with 4 FX on/off buttons on each channel. I could map it, but I can't really be bothered right now.

I mapped flux to the cue buttons. When I hit shift+cue on the relevant channel it toggles flux. I would really like the cue button to flash when it's on, but hey-ho

I would like a controller that is better made, has push up and down (kill switches) knobs for the filters and eq's, like the gain knob has to reset the gain, or on/off buttons to the sides. I would like the 4 x FX on/off buttons for each channel, and even 2 more fx banks at the top. And CDJ style platters.

Have an additional shift button. Shift is useful for mappings, but it would be good to have an additional one (option button)

Not much to ask

Would be good to have FX send and returns too, but that would be bit much to ask.
    CDJ style platters is quite a lot to ask, they're massive.
    Kontrol S4Senn HD 25-1Kontrol F1

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by Michielygil View Post
    If it fits your needs, why would it be a fiasco to buy it?

Seriously, people should stop focussing on getting the latest and shiniest and focus more on how you want to DJ and what makes you happy and enables you to do your thing.
    Thanks for feedback, i know what i will be able to do with the s4, my point though is that i don't want to buy the s4 just before a new version by NI might be released since the s4 has been out for long.

@ IznremiX I have checked out the pioneer ddj-sx which is not really my type of controller, i even thought of the vci 400 ege but since the s4 has much tighter integration with traktor and i can connect my turntables directly to it without needed a NI soundcard, i was leaning towards the s4.