[HELP PLEASE] What to price your beats
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default [HELP PLEASE] What to price your beats

Hey everyone! I have produced some beats and there is this guy who wants to buy one.
    Since it's my very first beat I'm selling exclusively to him and to him only, I do not have ANY idea what to price.
    Can you guys help me? All help is appreciated!

id much rather give a beat away for free and collect on royalties than have a barrier to entry on my music.
    I'm a fan of all things art. Music, film, photography, acting, dancing. Expression is powerful.
    www.twitter.com/mtlgrrr
    www.soundcloud.com/mtlgrrr
    www.facebook.com/mtlgrrr

How would i collect on royalties? I'm new to this

Quote Originally Posted by Numbox View Post
    How would i collect on royalties? I'm new to this
    lol idk. i dont sell beats.... but just my 2cents... id rather have people hear my music for free and then get paid off a succesful song than charge 25-50-100$ a beat, and no one want to pay for it cause the next guy is producing just as good, if not better beats and giving them out for free.

the music business has changed a bit where giving music out for free and earning $$ off the splash that it causes is way more successful than charging $$ for songs/beats in the first place.

so lets say this guy uses ur beat for a song... what are the situations?

1. he makes a song with your beat for free. 50 people hear it on his facebook page, and then thats that.
    2. he makes a song, it explodes, and gets 500,000 views on youtube, and people want to know where the beat came from.
    3. you charge him $50 for the track, no one hears it.
    4. you charge him $50 for the track, it explodes, he gets famous, and you dont collect on anything because he bought the beat.

im not a master in this area of knowledge, so i could be wrong, but thats what I've known/heard. Diplo (Boss of Mad Decent label) talked about how his company almost folded because no one was buying their music. then he said fk it and put out everything for free and shit went viral and now look at him.
    I'm a fan of all things art. Music, film, photography, acting, dancing. Expression is powerful.
    www.twitter.com/mtlgrrr
    www.soundcloud.com/mtlgrrr
    www.facebook.com/mtlgrrr

Thanks for the help man! I know what you mean. I just need to know how do i collect the royalties? Does he sign anything? is it a percentage of the sales he makes or is it just him saying produced by Anton Sherar and that's that?

Tech Mentor

I can sort of speak on this as this is how I got started making and selling hip-hop beats...

Get your music copyrighted, register your act, and have a few template contracts drawn up.

^^^ This is really the only way to protect yourself, and your intellectual property. It's a lot easier to have a binding document than to have a verbal or "hand-shake" in terms of getting your due money.

I've been burned soo many times from shady deals that weren't properly presided over. I also made some really good coin from people that were trustworthy and stood by their word. I've also had 2 albums of some of my best beats turn to skeletons sitting on a shelf because I couldn't re-sell them and were bound to a company who decided not to put out the material.

All these are things you should think about when having your documents drafted. Example, after how long of inactivity do the rights of the track revert back to you.

Hope this helps.

Thank you so much! I have been thinking about getting my music copyrighted, but I honestly have no idea.
    Can you tell me how you got yours? Would really help!
    Thank you two both of you!

Tech Mentor

Different countries different rules. the States have ASCAP, in Canada we have CMPA. You'll have to do some research to find which one is applicable to you.

http://www.ncb.dk/index.html Do you think this would be the one for Denmark?

Tech Mentor

You need to get some proper intellectual property advice on this, as it involves things such as royalties, licensing, and copyrights. Get a good book on the subject and read it. Don't rush into anything, you don't just "sell" rights to beats overnight. That's a great way for things to go pear shaped. You need proper advice on the matter.
    Countenance - (n). Appearance or expression. (v.) Admit or accept as possible.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast