Pioneer xdj-r1?? - Page 29
Page 29 of 29 FirstFirst ... 192526272829
    Tech Mentor

there's an update that supposedly fixes a lot, 1.05 on Aug 1st

Here's the link: http://pioneerdj.com/support/product...p=XDJ-R1&t=250

fix list:
    Ver.1.04 -> Ver.1.05 (1 August, 2013 Release)
    - Fixed a freeze issue when playing some AIFF files.
    - Fixed an issue where the same position of the track is repeated when scratching.
    - Fixed an issue where the LOOP IN position is repeatedly played when AUTO BEAT LOOP starts with QUANTIZE enabled.
    - Removed one of the causes of freezing.
    - Added a caution message when the tempo slider is moved when disabled.
    - Fixed an issue when a cue is set at the start of a track with quantize enabled,
     the cue actually starts at the next beat when the track’s first beat is at the track’s start position.
    - Fixed an issue where BPM SYNC starts when a track playing on the slave deck is changed when a track's BPM is “out of range”.
    - Fixed an issue where the cross fader position on remotebox is not synced with the XDJ-R1 even when the cross fader is moved on XDJ-R1.
    - Improved the operability and stability of XDJ-R1.

Tech Mentor

so how goes it with the firmware fix.... all good?

Well, played on a gig with my XDJ-R1 today. I was using songs from a HDD (analysed with RekordBox) and CD's. For my HDD I used Remote Box with my Ipad2(ios7). The unit didn't failed any time. The only issue I had was with my Ipad and remote box, the app quit 2 times during the gig. Music didn't stop (as it was being read from HDD) and I just had to launch remote box again.

My unit is using firmware 1.0.7.

Sorry to re-ignite an old thread here but just wondering on how these units are faring with the new 1.7 firmware. I'm looking at getting one of these or an Aero. But not sure which yet.
    http://mixcloud.com/audioaerosol
    Black MacBook 2.4ghz 750gb HD, 8gb RAM
    XDJ Aero & Rekordbox

Quote Originally Posted by Audio Aerosol View Post
    Sorry to re-ignite an old thread here but just wondering on how these units are faring with the new 1.7 firmware. I'm looking at getting one of these or an Aero. But not sure which yet.
    Well... Lately, I've played some gigs all night long with the XDJ-R1 (1.0.7 Firmware) and it didn't fail at all for me. BUT I always keep a deck around just in case...

Default xdj-r1 firmware

Well... Lately, I've played some gigs all night long with the XDJ-R1 (1.0.7 Firmware) and it didn't fail at all for me. BUT I always keep a deck around just in case...

Schalenberg

I'm in the exact situation. Curious to hear any news.

Tech Mentor

Last week the right-side Cue button on my SX started to give out. As I use that button a lot to start playback of a song I had to get it fixed (three year warranty luckily ).

As a temporary replacement unit, they allowed me to take home the XDJ-R1 so I could see if this is something for me: taking with me a retina MacBook Pro and SX is quite a hassle and even though I'm insured and most liabilities are for the clubs I play in, I'm always a bit scared of damaging my equipment.

So right of the bat; Rekordbox doesn't work properly. If you have a library created on a USB-stick for CDJ's there's a proper chance you'll need to format said stick as I couldn't convert it. It would tell me some things don't go with the library and then I would automatically get a failure message telling me it couldn't create the library. Googling the problem didn't work and I'm not keen on asking the Pioneer Forums as they really aren't of any help most of the time. I'm running Rekordbox 2.2.4 btw and Firmware 1.09 on the R1.

I ended up buying a new USB 3.0 stick as I didn't want to format my drives. Even though I currently don't know whether or not they will work now with CDJ's.

Ok, on to the unit;
    It is heavy! It weighs 9.4KG or about 21 pounds. Which is heavier than my SX and Macbook combined. It actually isn't a super-large unit but the CD slots make it a lot higher than a lot of the other units out there, which sound logical of course. It looks mediocre in my opinion, the jogs wheels are lit, but it's static unlike the DDJ-T1 for example. The jog wheels do make use of the same jog-wheel technique the SX, SZ and Aero do which makes it much smoother than the old ball-bearing system in tje CDJ's jogs. Also, a spinback sounds way much better on the XDJ-R1 than it ever will on the DDJ-SX or other non-stand alone Pioneer midi-controllers.The difference is actually embarrassing for Traktor and Serato. How can Pioneer make the spinback sound so good, yet two of the biggest DJ-software manufacturers can't?

Also, colour FX! I think it borrows the cFX from the DJM-850 with Noise, Pitch, Crush and Filter. Noise and Filter are awesome as you'd expect. The pitch is really handy for a riser effect. The crush seems a bit overkill for the music I play. Normal effects are transpose stretch (gater), flanger, echo and roll. Out of these 4 I only really use echo and sometimes a hint of flanger. You can't set the parameters like you can with a normal DJM mixer so even though it sounds good, it isn't as useful.

And here lies my problem with the machine. I jump tempo's a lot during night and on these occasions I'm tied to a simple echo-out, a spinback or maybe sometimes a filter sweep but I really have to work to make transitions sound proper. There is no vinyl-brake, no 100% wide mode (I think it says it does, but I can't seem to put it in wide so a manual vinyl brake isn't an option either).

On to the screen: it fits a lot of information on such small screens, however; searching for a track is a pain in the but unless you've organized your library perfectly. And I haven't. I'm used to typing in which track I wan't and BOOM, there it is. Even on newer CDJ's you can see like 5 or 6 tracks at the same time which makes scrolling through playlists that much easier. Not having a search mode to type in tracks like the CDJ2000 haves is a miss for me. However, it does say the BPM to 1 decimal which is quite handy. And I did find the scroll buttons (rubberized) quite ergonomically. I did notice that I've spent a lot of time looking down at the machine's screens last night, which is funny as that's normally a complaint for DJ's who use their laptop's.

Sound quality seems awesome. I'm not sure what it is, but it seems like it's impossible to make a bad transition with these things. The DJM quality mixer sounds that much better than a Traktor based one (personal preference) to me. The buttons also are really nice, near to none plastic caps, mostly the soft-touch knobs you're used to.

The biggest problem I had last night was when one track just quit playing during the peak of it. The crowd was singing along to Love Me Again and all of the sudden the sound just stops. I immediately started the other deck as the one on the left didn't want to respond to any command anymore until I loaded in a new track. I hope this is a rarity as I barely got away with it.

Hope this review is of any help for those who want to buy one. It's awesome value for money, however I do realize now why it's cheaper than the SX. I don't think I will change my set up anytime soon, but it's a great kit for DJ's who do more with a mic and less with FX!

Tech Mentor

One trick I found out a few weeks ago and which is very useful: Using the 4-beat-sampler with the roll-fx. "Storing" the loop of the sampler in the roll-fx you can have even more stuff going on at once. Nice creative tool for layering loops and a (tiny) bit of a 4 deck controller feeling.

Page 29 of 29 FirstFirst ... 192526272829