How to mix tracks in different keys?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default How to mix tracks in different keys?

Anyone got any techniques on how to mix two tracks that are in incompatible keys?

Yep. You just mix them.

It's a guide, not a rule.

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by shr3dder View Post
    Yep. You just mix them.

It's a guide, not a rule.
    This is true. The camelot wheel is a good guide, but it's not the bible. Also consider that most software can't determine key correctly 100% of the time, but it does come close, so the key of some songs may be misleading. Just know your music. Throw together different keyed tracks and see what happens.

If it sounds awful then use different tunes.
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Jester View Post
    How do you usually find compatible tracks? I mean, I find them, but after going through a bunch of different tracks. Is there something you look in the track to help you find a match easily?

pretty much ^

Tech Mentor

Your average crowd is unlikely to notice unless it sounds *really* bad. So just go ahead and do it. There are no 'rules' like with beatmatching. Though the more elements of the track you mix together, the more noticeable any clash will become until it sounds like a trainwreck.
    Countenance - (n). Appearance or expression. (v.) Admit or accept as possible.

You CAN harmonically mix 2 tracks that are in completely different keys.

A "key" is just a group of notes.

Melodies in tracks are usually only made up of a couple of those notes in any key.

Different keys share similar notes. So as long as the NOTES in each track ARE hormonically compatible, the mix will be fine.

I'm sure someone with more musical theory experience than me can explain it better...

But basically:

Quote Originally Posted by Jester
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Just make it a quick mix or use the beat intro and mix with the beat outro...
    CLUB OF JACKS - RELEASES >>TRAXSOURCE
    Club of Jacks are a London based House & Garage production / DJ duo with releases on a number of underground labels including Plastik People Recordings, Blockhead Recordings, Hi Energy!, Pocket Jacks Trax, Soul Revolution Records and their own Club of Jacks imprint.

Tech Convert

I often find myself in the situation of having to mix two songs in very different keys, if the transition sounds really bad, i search for a third song which has a key mid way between the two original songs key, this way is sounds more melodic, avoiding to sound like shit...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast