DJing a graduation party? help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default DJing a graduation party? help

So I normally spin edm/party music etc. BUT Ive been contacted to DJ a highschool graduation party. When asked what kind of music to play the host said "You know like happy stuff, like bruno mars and stuff, no sad stuff". So I ask you all, what should I play?

The crowd is going to be some kids (highschool and younger) but I believe mostly adults, family to the student graduating you feel me.

What do you guys think?

Play Breakcore, everybody likes Breakcore

Quote Originally Posted by johney View Post
    Play Breakcore, everybody likes Breakcore
    Serious answer is just whatever's on the radio. At that kinda event, it is more important people are having a good time than pushing your own musical preferences. You could probably warm-up with RNB stuff (Jason Mraz etc) and build it up to faster tempo dance stuff.

Top 40.

Play easier stuff during cocktail hour(if there is one)/dinner (i usually play anything from light pop rock to sinatra to easy listening). Then when they want to dance, Top 40 (you can even throw in a a good remix too of top 40 songs if you have one. nothing too heavy though). Also just be ready for requests, party standards/line dances, and a couple slow songs here and there since it will be a majority of adults. But other than that, make sure the music is CLEAN and dont play anything that might offend. And enjoy the food too cause private parties tend to feed you good too.

Tech Mentor

Why accept a job if you don't know how to do it? If you mess up, and there is a decent chance you will, you will never get invited back and you'll ruin a night...

Play gabber the whole time lol, no but seriously just go on google and search top party songs or something, it's a sure win.

Top 40 for sure

Tech Mentor

Top 40 and some remixes! Anything about 115bpm and in a Major Key should be fine

These kids want to hear the same music they were listening to on the car ride over. Play radio top 40, but if you want to stick to your roots, look for remixes of the tracks on the radio. That way, you are going to have more fun (mixing EDM) and they will have more fun (singing along). But as others said, keep it clean. The quickest way to ruin your chances of getting to do this again is to drop a trap remix of "my neck, my back"
    2 x gemini PT 1000 . Gemini PS-525 . X1
    NI Audio 6 . Traktor Scratch pro 2
    2007 Macbook Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by The Mighty FV View Post
    manners don't cost a thing dude - never forget that, it'll help you in all walks of life.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast