New gear advice
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New gear advice

Tech Wizard

Default New gear advice

Hi,

I only got interested in Djing last September and got my first controller, a U-mix Control Pro 2 at Christmas. I have practiced a lot with it and my mixing skills have improved immensely (i.e. I was terrible and now I'm alright ), but I am wanting to do more advanced things and I am feeling limited by the controller. Also I feel that if I ever manage to get a booking somewhere (that is not a house party at my Uni halls ) then turning up with that controller may make me seem very amateurish.

I would like to have four channels, as I am experimenting with mashups, and upgrade to either Serato or Traktor. I was looking at the Novation Twitch for its controllerist approach or the Numark NS6. Is there a different way of going about it such as a mixer and CDJ's that would be better? Bearing in mind this is still a hobby so I don't want to be shelling out a couple of grand just yet I have recently bought an LPD8 to give me more control over sample banks and loops.

I have been doing a lot of thinking and I am just not sure which way to go so I thought I may as well ask the pros. Any advice at all would be greatly appreciated

Tech Mentor

As far as controllers go, head over to Digital DJ Tips . com and they have an ultimate controller guide for 2013. Happy reading .

CDJ and mixer will prepare you better for a club, but isn't the most cost effective way.

Tech Wizard

Thanks for the reply, I have read through it many times and can't decide :P I don't know whether to go with a Novation Twitch or NS6. I noticed that almost all clubs have CDJ's but like you said, very expensive

Tech Mentor

There are a million threads very similar to this, but I am bored so will force upon you my own views, and they will probably be very different to other peoples.

Cheapish - Traktor S2, Serato Novation Twitch - Both 2 channel

Expensive - Traktor S4, Serato Reloop TM4, Serato Pioneer DDJ-SX.

I have never touched an NS6 so can't comment on it, but I started on a mixtrack pro, and numark did a good job of that.

The Twitch has a slightly different workflow to the others (no jogs) so first try and have a play and see if you like using jogs or not.

Traktor is much cheaper than Serato.

I upgraded from a MTP to an S2, and then bought an NI F1 and X1 and also got given an LPD8.

If you can see yourself doing this for a while, get the best you can afford, if not, buy the cheapest you are comfortable with and see where it takes you.

Another tip which I never considered when starting out, is buying 2nd hand. If you get a good condition one of certain controllers, then you will be able to sell it on for pretty much exactly what you paid for it if you don't like it.

To be honest, whatever you get you will love, and your workflow will adapt to the shortfalls of your gear.

Pick a software, and then pick hardware

Tech Guru

If you want to be prepared for club CDJs, you can get a pair of 800 Mk2s along with a 2 channel mixer for around the same price as a new mid-range controller like the S4.
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

Tech Guru

Denon MC3000 and MC6000 are very good as well.

Tech Wizard

Thanks for your input Big Panda, I can see myself doing this for quite a while so I reckon I will make the investment. I didn't think to check the price of software, I think I shall go with Traktor. I shall see if I get any interest from clubs and bars, if so I think I will get some second hand CDJ's, like makar1 suggested.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by SlvrDragon50 View Post
    Denon MC3000 and MC6000 are very good as well.
    Agreed. Any of the main players will be a great choice

If you are just "alright" don't worry about a new controller, get better with what you have. You've got an lpd8 now, so you have more buttons and knobs to learn to integrate. Don't rush, take your time, and wear that controller out while saving up for bigger and better, you will be happy you did.
    2 x gemini PT 1000 . Gemini PS-525 . X1
    NI Audio 6 . Traktor Scratch pro 2
    2007 Macbook Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by The Mighty FV View Post
    manners don't cost a thing dude - never forget that, it'll help you in all walks of life.

I, like many here, started out on a MixTrack Pro. But chose your software first. I played with VDJ, Serato and TRAKTOR but in the end, TRAKTOR was what I was looking for. No one would be happy about going out and paying $500-$1,000 on a higher end controller only to dislike the software.
    2013 15' MBP Retina, TRAKTOR Pro 2.6, S2, X1, F1, Crane Stand Pro, Numark NPM5, HDJ-500

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast