Streamlining Widows Vista

Default Streamlining Widows Vista

Alright guys, i could really use a hand with something from some of the laptop gurus on this site.

Im trying to set up a new profile on vista just for traktor as discussed in this DJTT article http://www.djtechtools.com/2009/07/1...djs/#more-1541

Now... I've set up a separate user account but i've run into two problems.

1. I cant seem to separate one hardware profile from the other. The article doesnt explain how to set up two different hardware profiles. Can someone advise me on this?

2. Currently when im using traktor on my own profile i have all the tracks in my collection coming from an itunes playlist named 'DJ'. When i go onto my new 'traktor' user profile and load traktor the itunes playlist is not there (as the playlist was created on the other profile). When i try changing the itunes directory in the traktor preferences i cannot access my original profile and load the tracks i want. How do i resolve this?

If anyone can help me out i'd really be grateful... Vistas a pain in the hole
    Last edited by Modus Operandi; 09-06-2009 at 11:02 AM. Reason: Bad Engrish

Tech Wizard

Default hello

if u want/must use windows, then please install xp
    i dont think that playing on winvista is a good idea...
    or at least use win7
    thats what i do, it works great
    no crashes or anything similar

greetz

anyone able to advise on vista? (read thread title, im not looking for alternatives but thanks for your input none the less)

Tech Mentor

im using vista, never had an issue with the OS. i did have an issue, but it turned about to be hardware issue on the new laptop.
    vista doesnt allow seperate hardware profiles. so dont worry bout that.
    with your data locations... honestly, i have found it is easier to have all my djing stuff on the djing user. especially if you use like itunes or zune or whatever to listen to stuff. i had a serious issue with having ID3 tags being changed or random reasons. so i keep all my djing stuff seperate from just the general listening stuff. it doubles the size of stuff, but keeps everything straight. also, dont keep your collection on an external drive... yet another potential point of failure.
    feel free to PM me with any other questions.

So, you are one of those guys who are stuck with vista (i can't downgrade, i failed at all atempts)

AFAIK no user hardware profiles on Vista. However, there is one... it is called "do it yourself every time you are about to do a session". it is great pain in the ass, but AFAIK it's the only solution. With practice, this step takes not more than 5 minutes altogether.

In your DJ profile, clear your desktop from any icons and place in desired order shortcuts to:

System, Security and additional driver software needed for your soundcard.
    Make exact list of all changes you need to do before playing.
    (i have
    1. turn off every needless HW from your profiles.. webcam, wifi, net, DVD, internal sound etc.
    2.turn off firewall
    3.turn off windows update
    4...list goes on, you get the idea.)

There isn't really a good way to work with windows services that way, as that involves loads of restarting the computer, so i don't advocate this.

First time it took me like 10 minutes, now i am pretty confident to do it in 3 mins or less (over time you will memorize each and every step).
    DJ Blofeld - The Evil Genius
    I shall look forward personally to exterminating you, Mr. Bond.” Ernst Stavro Blofeld to 007
    Doomsday device: TRAKTOR SCRATCH PRO, AUDIO 8, VCI-100black 1.3, 2x Technics SL1210mkII

if i disable all the unnecessary drivers on one profile do i have to enable them all again when i go onto my general use profile or will restarting the computer do this for me?

Tech Mentor

just reenable them. i actually only disable the battery hardware (causes nasty latency) and exit adware and a couple other auto startups.

Quote Originally Posted by djalexlaine View Post
    just reenable them. i actually only disable the battery hardware (causes nasty latency) and exit adware and a couple other auto startups.
    What sort of auto startups? i cant find how to disable them

Tech Mentor

stuff like adware, video card control software. i also have a piece of software that controls the ECO power settings. so i disable those cuz i dont need them.
    if you use windows defender, you can manage software startups i believe. i dont use it though. my PC is pretty powerful, so as long as i disable the the programs that take a lot of resources its fine.