S4 or mapped ddj-sx ?

Default S4 or mapped ddj-sx ?

Hey i have not been dj'ing for a few years now, got in some debt and had to sell all my equipment Used to play techno on 3 1210's djm 600 and also had a korg chaos pad... anyway i want to get back into it but am gonna go digital.

I will probably use traktor over serato but am having trouble deciding between the s4 or a pioneer ddj-sx mapped to traktor. i want to be able to do a little scratching (nothing to fancy) sample and possibly hook up some 1210s maybe a drum machine in the future.

Basically wondering what peoples thoughts are on it and, would like to know how the pioneer maps with traktor as i have zero experience with mapping or digital. Also curious as to how serato holds up against traktor.

Would appreciate your input thanks

Tech Convert

I had a similar issue trying to decide which controller to opt for. If you are going to use turntables, go for the s4 as it natively supports timecode integration, it has a tighter integration with traktor and is perfect for shooting samples on the fly. The only concern as many say is built quality which is not too great. There are mappings available to use the ddj with traktor but they won't be as tight and well integrated as with the s4. The s4 fits all your requirements as is going to be a cheaper option too.

Tech Guru

If you want to scratch on software, the best options are proper turntables or Serato controllers like the VCI 300.
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

Quote Originally Posted by AMJ View Post
    I had a similar issue trying to decide which controller to opt for. If you are going to use turntables, go for the s4 as it natively supports timecode integration, it has a tighter integration with traktor and is perfect for shooting samples on the fly. The only concern as many say is built quality which is not too great. There are mappings available to use the ddj with traktor but they won't be as tight and well integrated as with the s4. The s4 fits all your requirements as is going to be a cheaper option too.

Thanks for the advice