What things should I get as a starting producer? - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Massive is JUST a software synth. Yes, it woks very well, but there are more. Ableton allready has lots too.

Massive is very tightly integrated with maschine. (Maschine packs contain lots of massive sounds). If you decide Maschine will be your synth of choice, Maschine is a very nice controller for it.
    IBM Thinkpad X41 - IBM Thinkpad T60p - Xone 4D - 2x SL1210 - Maschine mk2 white

Quote Originally Posted by Ham View Post
    On the topic of new desk, I currently have my monitors on my desk and am looking into making stands that'll sit next to my desk to free up a lot of space on my desk for some new toys (technics 1200 and other devices).

So, just gonna throw this out there for you.. I would suggest getting a larger desk and keeping the monitors on th desk. You will most likely get terrible sound moving them onto a stand. Unless you have a serious studio then the sound will be terrible.

For the OP in order of importance.

Upgrade the Computer
    DAW
    Soundcard
    Monitors
    Soft Synths
    25 Key Midi controller
    Maschine - last only because you are new to producing.. if you knew what you were doig I would place the Maschine above the VSTs

If you don't already have them I would also suggest a decent pair of cans. Most home studio folks I know arent able to properly condition the studio area and being able to fall back to headphones for details can be really helpful. The order you buy things depends on your priorities. If you're just learning the software and don't mind creating a few dozen throw away tracks go for software first and just listen on whatever you have and play around. When youre trying to mix down a final track is when you absolutely need proper monitors.

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by LanceBlaise View Post
    For the OP in order of importance.

Upgrade the Computer
    DAW
    Soundcard
    Monitors
    Soft Synths
    25 Key Midi controller
    Maschine - last only because you are new to producing.. if you knew what you were doig I would place the Maschine above the VSTs
    Can you explain to me exactly what a soundcard is/used for?

Also where would you place a good desk on that list since my current one is quite small and shitty.

Tech Wizard

Which MacBook Pro would you guys recommend?

MBP 13" 2.9GHz
    or
    MBP 15" 2.3GHz

The brand new models you'd find on the Apple website

Why would you spend $1500 on a laptop that doesn't really offer anything you can't do on windows when that money could buy you a studio and you could start producing... you can still get the laptop later
    Why did the elephant get lost... Cause the Jungle is MASSIVE!

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by synthet1c View Post
    Why would you spend $1500 on a laptop that doesn't really offer anything you can't do on windows when that money could buy you a studio and you could start producing... you can still get the laptop later
    I was planning on getting the laptop at a later time, I was just wondering which model would be better

Quote Originally Posted by Drade View Post
    Can you explain to me exactly what a soundcard is/used for?
    For a while I didn't have one. And I plugged my monitors straight into my MBP. That is bad thing to do. You 'll get a lof static and stuff.

A soundcard provides a quality connection for your monitors and volume control on the hardware. Having inputs is also nice if you want to record a DJ mix, a singer, plug in your guitar, sample a record,...

Additionally to what MyUsername said above, a SoundCard (a.k.a. your interface) will also allow you to connect external instruments and mics to record straight into your DAW (in your case Ableton).

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast