What things should I get as a starting producer?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default What things should I get as a starting producer?

Hey, you've probably seen my past threads asking which midi controller/keyboard to buy and might be thinking that these are one of those threads. But thankfully this isnt the case.

I've decided that instead of wasting my money getting a piece of hardware that I probably dont need yet wouldnt help me at all if I dont learn the software yet so I've opted out of getting any type of controller until I'm more confident in the software and can figure out what I will need to help my work flow.

I've already decided that I'm going to buy Ableton Live 9 Suite as my DAW of choice however the rest of the things I get are up in the air as to the order in which I should purchase them. I do not have the money to get them all at once and would each most likely need a months time before purchasing the next thing. This is where I need your help on which things would be most necessary/useful for me to produce with.

1. Ableton Live 9 Suite
    ?. KRK Rokit 6 G2 (2 of them)
    ?. A new desk to use for my workspace (my current one is rather tiny and only about 24 inches long)
    ?. NI Massive
    ?. Soundcard (I dont know anything about soundcards nor do I know what do they do or which one to get, help?)
    ?. Upgrade my laptop to a MacBook Pro

After Ableton, what order do you think I should get the rest of the stuff? Also I need help on the soundcard as I stated earlier in this post. Thanks

mackie MR8 and MR5 are way better than KRK rockit and are in the same price bracket, they produce a much cleaner flatter response than the KRK which are more a mid way between monitors and dj speakers that drive the sound harder to my ears. Try them out in the shop and you will hear the difference

I would prioritise speakers & soundcard first. The 'M-audio fast track pro' is decent enough and cheap. You will need a new desk to hold your speakers so your probably up for $800 so far "not including ableton"..

Upgrade to a MacBook Pro later, but max out your RAM on your current computer until that happens.
    Why did the elephant get lost... Cause the Jungle is MASSIVE!

Tech Mentor

Out of that list; my vote goes to the speakers. Not on that list might be a Ableton lesson or 2?.

On the topic of new desk, I currently have my monitors on my desk and am looking into making stands that'll sit next to my desk to free up a lot of space on my desk for some new toys (technics 1200 and other devices). So I found this thread from a very renown DJTT member...

http://tarekith.com/studio-stage-diy-ideas/

and it's a great read (and also, anything tarakith writes is generally a good read).

On the Monitor subject, I read up for ages on which one's to get and went into my local store and heard a bunch of them, in the end the best piece of advice I heard/read was that no matter which monitors you by, all that matters is that you know and understand the sound they make, inside out. Flux Pavillon uses KRK Rokits and he's stated that, although their may be superior monitors out there, he has come to learn the sound that the Rokits make.

For this reason I ended up getting Samson A5s at $160 for a pair (essentially brand new) and have been extremely pleased with them since.

Tech Wizard

I'd go for speakers and soundcard too ! Both are complementary i think !

For the desk, i'm shure you can manage something temporary, even if it's not very clean, don't spend your money in that too quickly !!
    Another thing you could do, is buy a very good pair of studio headphones that are very comfy, something you can work with for hours ! It will be much cheaper at first than speakers and you always need some headphones ! Money saved can get you a sound card faster i guess !
    3 x CDJ 2000 Nexus, DJM 900 Nexus, Sennheiser HD 25 II, S-DJ05 Speakers
    Macbook Pro 15" Mid 2010 - Midi Fighter Spectra - Ableton Live 9

DON'T GET Ableton Suite and Massive!

Ableton Suite is MORE THAN ENOUGH for a starter producer. Trust me. Massive is, well, MASSIVE! There is a LOT to learn within massive, which could disract you from learning the basics of arranging and mixing.

If you get a nice desk, make sure you get a really nice, comfy, adjustable chair. A great chair makes a huge difference!

You don't absolutely have to get a MBP, either.

But in all truth - as long as you get Ableton Suite, everything else is supplimentary for a long while. You can learn to produce on the laptop you already have, with a mouse and a nice pair of headphones.

Too much gear can distract you from the task at hand, which is Arranging and Mixing - and that can ALL be done with a lappy with headphones!

(Edit: P.S - if you ever are looking for a one-stop-production keyboard, check this out:

http://forum.djtechtools.com/showthread.php?t=71022

knowwhatimsayin'? )
    Last edited by Patch; 05-14-2013 at 06:43 AM.
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Look around and see how little producers actually use the "popular" stuff in their studio's. Photographers like getting the shots with a glowing apple close to the guy's face, but if you look at pictures/vids of studio's, you'll find pieces of unhyped kit mor often than the latest apple/NI gizmo's

There are little reasons to buy a mac for production, except for midi synchronisation (which you don't really plan on).

If you'd ever consider Massive, save up for one month more and buy a piece of popular kit that many pro's do use: A Maschine. It has the most hands on and expressive production value for the buck (after a good keyboard offcourse). AND it holds up well live too.
    IBM Thinkpad X41 - IBM Thinkpad T60p - Xone 4D - 2x SL1210 - Maschine mk2 white

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by boarderbas View Post
    Look around and see how little producers actually use the "popular" stuff in their studio's. Photographers like getting the shots with a glowing apple close to the guy's face, but if you look at pictures/vids of studio's, you'll find pieces of unhyped kit mor often than the latest apple/NI gizmo's

There are little reasons to buy a mac for production, except for midi synchronisation (which you don't really plan on).

If you'd ever consider Massive, save up for one month more and buy a piece of popular kit that many pro's do use: A Maschine. It has the most hands on and expressive production value for the buck (after a good keyboard offcourse). AND it holds up well live too.
    Sure there is.. say you have 1500 extra dollars youd like to just give away.. thats a perfect time to buy a mac for production!

For half the price you can get double the mouse buttons!
    IBM Thinkpad X41 - IBM Thinkpad T60p - Xone 4D - 2x SL1210 - Maschine mk2 white

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    DON'T GET Ableton Suite and Massive!

Ableton Suite is MORE THAN ENOUGH for a starter producer. Trust me. Massive is, well, MASSIVE! There is a LOT to learn within massive, which could disract you from learning the basics of arranging and mixing.

If you get a nice desk, make sure you get a really nice, comfy, adjustable chair. A great chair makes a huge difference!

You don't absolutely have to get a MBP, either.

But in all truth - as long as you get Ableton Suite, everything else is supplimentary for a long while. You can learn to produce on the laptop you already have, with a mouse and a nice pair of headphones.

Too much gear can distract you from the task at hand, which is Arranging and Mixing - and that can ALL be done with a lappy with headphones!

(Edit: P.S - if you ever are looking for a one-stop-production keyboard, check this out:

http://forum.djtechtools.com/showthread.php?t=71022

knowwhatimsayin'? )
    So you suggest I simply stick with Ableton Live 9 Suite for a while and get monitors/better desk and learn the software before buying plugins and stuff?

Quote Originally Posted by boarderbas View Post

I know about the Maschine however put it into my plan because I dont know what my workflow will be yet! Perhaps once I start to understand Ableton and everything it may be something I need but if not then Massive is always an option, know what I mean?

--------------------------------------------------------
    I understand what all you guys have been saying about the MacBook Pro, but I also thought it would be a good upgrade to my current laptop as well as a strong laptop for me to use with school and everything. However I understand not rushing into buying one

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast