Hi-Fi Speakers and Amp vs. Active Nearfield Monitors - Page 4
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by makar1 View Post
    I don't see any powered speakers there.
    That's the point. I don't advocate the use of active speakers, whatsoever. The only exception I'd make to this is PA stuff (specifically for gigging), and powered subs for home cinema use, because of the reduced need for a high quality amplifier and the prohibitive cost of decent separate monoblocks.

For audio, decent quality hifi speakers and a stereo amplifier are the best option; and usually the cheapest, if you're smart about it.

Tech Guru

I completely agree on using passive speakers, which is why I recommended them as my 1st reply to the thread. But then he said he didn't want to have a separate amp which of course is very limiting at this pricerange.
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

I have a pair of Alesis Monitor One mk2. They are sound pretty good and have good bass. They are placed at head height at each end of my desk. Got mine for around £120

http://www.alesis.com/monitoronemkii

I , on the other hand, hate passive speakers if they're not biamplifiable.
    Sure, higher priced boxes will aoid very good, but buying a pair of floorstanders for 10$ usually gets you a pair of great-looking, sgit-sounding white van speakers, or some used-to-be-great boxes with rotten surrounds and corroded interconnects.
    Quote Originally Posted by donstone View Post
    I only use VINYL flooring. Rugs are for cheaters.
    Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    If you can't find an Abba song that you like, you are a liar of the highest order.

Quote Originally Posted by makar1 View Post
    I completely agree on using passive speakers, which is why I recommended them as my 1st reply to the thread. But then he said he didn't want to have a separate amp which of course is very limiting at this pricerange.
    Very true. But my advice to anyone thinking that would just be to get used to the idea of using an amp :P

Like other people have said, active monitors are useful for production, but not particularly good for listening.

Quote Originally Posted by Polygon View Post
    I , on the other hand, hate passive speakers if they're not biamplifiable.
    Sure, higher priced boxes will aoid very good, but buying a pair of floorstanders for 10$ usually gets you a pair of great-looking, sgit-sounding white van speakers, or some used-to-be-great boxes with rotten surrounds and corroded interconnects.
    You'd be surprised... all of my Mordaunts are biampable, although personally I don't see the point for listening to 320kbps MP3s. If I was using SACD or DVDA sources, then maybe.

Patch, this is what I'm using at the moment. Took me a while to settle on the perfect combination, but this configuration, plus a set of MS5.30s under the desk powered by a separate amp when I want a LOT of bass do the job perfectly. Whenever anyone comes over I sit them down and play David Guetta - Titanium and they literally sit there with an open mouth haha.

Tech Guru

^What I'm using at the moment, the Wharfedale Diamond 9.1s (linked on 1st page). I've got a SW150 sub under the table too, but that stays off most of the time as the 9.1s have plenty of bass for normal listening.
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

Both of those amps look like they'd squeeze into cube in my expedit...

What are they, and how much can they be had for?
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

That's a Class T amp, they're like £50 from eBay brand new. Relatively low power, but ultra-low distortion levels. And they're TINY. Only downside is, there's no tone controls on the amp, so you'll have to do your EQing in software which is a bit of a pain.

The Teac is a gorgeous "little" thing although it's bulkier than it looks. It's about the size of a shoebox, and fairly heavy due to the massive toroidal transformer inside. Fantastic sound quality though; unlike the Class Ts it actually has a "character", although that does mean you need to match the speakers you choose to it carefully.

EDIT: Also, the Diamond 9.1s are very nice, although pricey brand new.

EDIT2: Teacs in WORKING ORDER usually go for between £50-100:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_fr...mplete=1&rt=nc

Although there is one available at the moment Buy It Now for £79.99: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Teac-A-H30...item2c6e7f8c38
    Last edited by mdcdesign; 05-14-2013 at 06:36 PM.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast