Necessary to use the software mixer with Traktor Pro?

Default Necessary to use the software mixer with Traktor Pro?

This is probably a stupid question, but here goes.

So while I've been DJing with vinyl for a while, I'm getting tired of how expensive it's become and how much of a pain it is to carry a huge record bag around, and I'm playing with the idea of switching to digital vinyl.

But the set-up confuses me. If I'm using a laptop, do I absolutely need to use the software mixer? I just want to run a different audio source through the turntables, but replacing a hardware mixer with an on-screen mixer isn't really something I have an interest in doing.

Is it possible to still use a hardware mixer without turning my laptop into a single-channel source?

If you use timecode you would use an external mixer.
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

...and you can hide all the software mixer elements on UI so you just see the waveforms. You can hide those (pretty much) if you like as well.

I made the transition from regular vinyl to DVS by putting a towel over the laptop and just concentrated on what I could hear. I only started messing with FX and using the visual feedback after I had got used to timecode. It IS a bit different to regular vinyl.

Tech Guru

You can use a hardware mixer or the software mixer regardless of whether you're using timecode or not. If you're using an external mixer you need a sound card with enough I/O channels for the number of decks you require.

The Audio 4 DJ, Audio 8 DJ, and Traktor Audio 6 are all suitable for using 2 turntables with Traktor timecode. If you want 3 or 4 timecode vinyl decks you'll need the Traktor Audio 10.

You can also get mixers with built-in sound cards that are compatible with Traktor timecode.
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

Although you cannot use the channel faders or crossfader in external mixing mode. The ability to do this was taken out in Traktor Pro 1.

*Feature removed to prevent drunk confusion*
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

That's right (kinda) the reason given for removing it was that far too many users were filling support tickets saying they couldn't hear the track, the EQ was wrong, only one side played because they were in External mode and the software mixer was not set correctly thus could not see it.
    The EQ's were also removed but there was mini shit-storm and they were reintroduced.