Same scratch all the time
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Same scratch all the time

So I have been scratching now for only 6 months or so and every time I throw on a different beat or sound, I always seem to use the same scratch pattern. I have tried so hard to do something different, but it always leads back to that annoying scratch. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Listen to someone else for inspiration.

Listen to the beat you playing to and think up and new little drum pattern that will go with it.

Then try and re-produce it on teh decks.

I had the same issue.

I just stand back for a second. Close my eyes and listen....come up with a new pattern and focus on that.

DONT GET STONED FIRST!

It doesnt help shit!

APC80:STR8-100's+Ortofon Concorde Scratch\Electro:ButterRugz:TSP2-NI Audio4DJ:Xone22+Innofader:MacBook Pro 15"
    www.soundcloud.com/djsarasin
    www.youtube.com/adriansarasin

Tech Guru

I'd recommend you check out Q-Berts Scratch Univ.

He has a really good lesson in Scrath Theory and cutting beats by 1/2 and 1/4 to make different sounds with the same scratch. I use maybe 2-3 scratches vayring tempo and combinations. Q goes on to discuss fairly well how to use your scratches as an instrument to create a beat or sound not to just go wiki-wiki.
    SSL - DJM 800 - Technic 1200's - X1 - ITCH - NS6 - VCI-300

Tech Wizard

listen to recordings of drum corp units. no joke. You will pull lots of nice triplet and 16th rest patterns out of listening to stuff that is 100% centered on rhythmic expression. I'm still waiting to see someone translate the Swiss triplet to the decks.

To add onto that, once you have a pattern you're hearing in your head over and over and want to try on the mixer, apply the same idea I tell my drum students. "If you can say it with your mouth, you can play it with your hands." It works, give it a try.
    Last edited by Seven Deep; 05-16-2013 at 12:03 PM.

What scratch are you doing? Try tears. 1 forward, 2 back. 2 forward, 1 back. 3 forward, 1 back, 1 forward, 3 back. You would be amazed at the sounds you can make with different tears. Also, get off of the aaaahhhhh sample. Try fresh, try scratching 2 word samples, work on your word play, scratch a track without using your fader hand.
    2 x gemini PT 1000 . Gemini PS-525 . X1
    NI Audio 6 . Traktor Scratch pro 2
    2007 Macbook Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by The Mighty FV View Post
    manners don't cost a thing dude - never forget that, it'll help you in all walks of life.

Thanks all I am going to take all the great advice and try some new stuff tonight.
    I spend most of my time scratching with crabs, orbits, and chirps.

Quote Originally Posted by Seven Deep View Post
    I'm still waiting to see someone translate the Swiss triplet to the decks.
    Isn't that a regular triplet with a flam on the quarter note? I suppose you could do this with chirps and a twiddle on the quarter so it's four sounds in a triplet -- di-dit dah dah, di-dit dah dah... Hmmmm...
    "Art is what you can get away with." - Marshall McLuhan

So you got crabs, orbits, and chirps down? are you sure your not transforming? try forwards, stabs, and chops. that's a total of 6 scratches that can fit into any 4/4 time measure bar. 6 scratches and 2 variations of each scratch and changing the order and combinations you should have unlimited combos.... what scratch do you usually start with? if you really can do all those scratches i can help you.

Quote Originally Posted by djproben View Post
    Isn't that a regular triplet with a flam on the quarter note? I suppose you could do this with chirps and a twiddle on the quarter so it's four sounds in a triplet -- di-dit dah dah, di-dit dah dah... Hmmmm...
    triplet flam is a 2 clik flare as a doted quarter and a 1 clik flare as a 1/8th note

the second patter di-dit dah dah, di-dit dah dah is 2 clik orbit

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by djproben View Post
    yup. Or better known in drummer babble as "black-oo-dah black-oo-dah"

hah

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast