Why pick Beatport over iTunes?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default Why pick Beatport over iTunes?

So I'm sitting here trying to decide where would be the best place to buy my music from and a big question popped up.

Why would anyone pick beatport over iTunes?

Are there advantages to this when it comes to djing/producing?

Better quality. iTunes sells tracks at 256 kbps, I believe. Beatport has tracks at 320 kbps. Beatport is worth it if you're serious about DJing.

Quote Originally Posted by bieberatemytaco View Post
    Better quality. iTunes sells tracks at 256 kbps, I believe. Beatport has tracks at 320 kbps. Beatport is worth it if you're serious about DJing.
    Itunes encodes with aac which, from my understanding, is at least as good as a standard 320. People generally pick beatport because of selection of underground tunes and the interface layout with searching by sub genres. Not sure If you can search that way in itunes, but If you can find a track for cheaper, go for it.
    tsp 2.5 | vci-400 ege | mfspectra | kontrol x1s | rokit 8s (ferrari grey) | krk 10 sub | audio 8
    hp dv6 - i5 - 8gb | maschine | mpk49 | apc40 | rokit 5s | technics sl-1200mk3ds | cdj100s
    thread of free music

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by squidot View Post
    Itunes encodes with aac which, from my understanding, is at least as good as 320 mp3s. People generally pick beatport because of selection of underground tunes and the interface layout with searching by sub genres. Not sure If you can search that way in itunes, but If you can find a track for cheaper, go for it.
    Gotcha, so there would be no issue trying to produce or dj with tracks from itunes?

Nope. Same tracks, different quality.

What kind of stuff you're after? if you're after underground/electronic stuff definitely check Bleep/Boomkat/Digital-Tunes/Surus/Juno, much better alternatives to BP and iTunes

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by squidot View Post
    Itunes encodes with aac which, from my understanding, is at least as good as a standard 320. People generally pick beatport because of selection of underground tunes and the interface layout with searching by sub genres. Not sure If you can search that way in itunes, but If you can find a track for cheaper, go for it.
    The search function in iTunes sucks. You really need to know what you're looking for. Beatport also allows you to search things you weren't specifically looking for. You can spend literally days on beatport digging for tunes.

i buy lossless.

The biggest thing that keeps me coming back to beatport is the interface. It's just so much easier to find what I'm looking for, both because of their search filters and because of the mybeatport section. While you certainly shouldn't limit yourself to just beatport if you want a good selection of tunes, there are plenty of advantages that make it my first stop every monday.
    Facebook : Soundcloud : Beatport DJ : Twitter DJ
    My Show: Sunday Nights 00:00 - 02:00 GMT (7pm -9pm EST) on Fokus FM Radio
    My Setup

DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Drade View Post
    Gotcha, so there would be no issue trying to produce or dj with tracks from itunes?
    You don't produce with someone else's music

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast