Can anyone reccommend a good DJ decks for a beginner? - Page 5
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    DJTT Mapping Ninja Moderator Stewe's Avatar

Right

Quote Originally Posted by denniswright108 View Post
    Looking to start djing but not sure where to start with dj equipment, any help would be great!
    First download virtual dj home. Figure out how everything works. Then after a month or two figure out if you truly love djing. Personally, I had a mix track pro and I loved it. Now the mix track pro 2 seems great. The traktor s2 is a bit pricer but great aswell. Just get well informed on each controller, what they can do and can't do and also the price range you're looking for. Also do you want to be a controllerist? A vinyl dj? a cdj? Also you can probably check craigslist and get some used gear off of there as well. Lastly if you live near a guitar center or sam ash head out to one and check out what they have on display, usually they have some dj sets that you can touch and or play with.

Banned

YEah sorry, meant to post a link tothe studio 4a

Tech Mentor

Technics SL1210's + either Pioneer DJM-T1 or Trakto Z2. Opens your possibilities up.

You can learn to practice on software and hardware. You get audio interfaces built in to the mixer.

You get to play mp3's/WAV and Vinyl

You get the best tactile feel in the business.

You have a pretty professional set-up, which you wont need to upgrade when you get better. Just add to.

Buy your stuff second hand, and if you don't feel it's for you, you can sell it on, and make back pretty much most (if not all) of your money.

Can be had for the same cost as a high end controller.

You can post on here, with absolute arrogance, KNOWING you are a REAL DJ because you have the 1210's...
    Technics 1210 mk2's, Pioneer CDJ 500, Allen & Heath DB4, NI F1's (x2), Reloop Contour Controller Edition, Sennheiser HD25 1-II or Allen & Heath XD2-53's depending on my mood...

Mixcloud : xs2man - Latest Mix: Latest Mix 13-10-2016

Quote Originally Posted by xs2man View Post
    Technics SL1210's + either Pioneer DJM-T1 or Trakto Z2. Opens your possibilities up.

You can learn to practice on software and hardware. You get audio interfaces built in to the mixer.

You get to play mp3's/WAV and Vinyl

You get the best tactile feel in the business.

You have a pretty professional set-up, which you wont need to upgrade when you get better. Just add to.

Buy your stuff second hand, and if you don't feel it's for you, you can sell it on, and make back pretty much most (if not all) of your money.

Can be had for the same cost as a high end controller.

You can post on here, with absolute arrogance, KNOWING you are a REAL DJ because you have the 1210's...
    Cool, where should I get this Pioneer from? any cheapish companies which sell it, preferably UK based?

Tech Guru

The DJM T1 has been discontinued now, so you might struggle to find it. It's a lot of money for a beginner setup.. (£1k+)
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by makar1 View Post
    The DJM T1 has been discontinued now, so you might struggle to find it. It's a lot of money for a beginner setup.. (£1k+)
    Really? You can find them new all over the place. Quick google search in UK shows them up and most of the big DJ gear retailers for around £569.

Anyway, there are a couple on Ebay in the UK, so probably expect around £350-400 to pick one up. The Z2 may be a little more expensive second hand, probably starting around £400.

I have a set of good condition 1210's for sale for £400 (+£30 delivery, comes with coffin case that will hold decks + mixer). This is around what you would expect to pay for such a set, so even if you don't get from me, that would be approximate cost.

So you would be looking at around £800 all in for 2 decks and a mixer, that will still control all your digital music files, as well as play vinyl. Be modular, and therefore easily expandable, and will unlikely depreciate much in value over the next year or so, so you should be able to get back pretty much what you paid should you find you don't like it or whatever.

Of course, you could go for a cheaper controller. Something around £300-£500 price range. Would be okay, but will only let you work digitally. Would most likely be an all in one unit, unlikely to be of such a high quality, and assuming you buy new, will depreciate in value. Then, as you get better, you will want to upgrade again, which will mean a whole new set-up, rather than just adding to it and expanding your existing set-up.

Personally, if you can stretch your budget to a more modular, higher spec set-up, that wont loose you too much money in the long term, I would rather do that than spend a little less money now, and loose more money in the future.

Of course, you could always go for something REALLY cheap to start you off, so you won't loose so much money. Buy a Pioneer wego for £250 to see if you like it, and you will never loose any more than £250. Probably worth £125+ second hand, so will only loose £125 to find out if you will even like being a DJ.

Or buy it second hand, and loose almost nothing to try it. Then upgrade to a more modular set-up.
    Technics 1210 mk2's, Pioneer CDJ 500, Allen & Heath DB4, NI F1's (x2), Reloop Contour Controller Edition, Sennheiser HD25 1-II or Allen & Heath XD2-53's depending on my mood...

Tech Guru

Decks.co.uk, ChemicalRecords, DV247, Juno, Thomann are all out of stock. What are these big retailers again?
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8

Tech Mentor

DJKit, Phase One, DjSuperstore, Djtech direct, pegasus sound and light.

Tech Guru

So just a handful of small retailers, makes sense that they have stock as most don't turn up on any web searches.