Can anyone reccommend a good DJ decks for a beginner?
Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Default Can anyone reccommend a good DJ decks for a beginner?

Looking to start djing but not sure where to start with dj equipment, any help would be great!

I would start with deciding which software you want to use first. Try out trial versions of Traktor, Serato DJ, Virtual DJ, etc.
    Then start looking at which controller, or CDJs and mixer, or Digital Vinyl System (turntables and mixer) you might want to control the software.

Do some searching and reading to narrow down your preferences. Similar questions have already been answered many times on this forum and many other DJ related sites on the web.

If possible, once you've done your homework, go to a local music store and try out some different equipment to see what you might prefer.

I started on a Novation Twitch controller, got a b stock version for £200. But do what VanGogo says its good advice.

You want to research these things because when I bought the Novation Twitch I felt limited in being able to beatmatch (as I wanted to practice) my fault though. Plus, the twitch can be mapped as an effects controller so when I got DVS I could use it with Traktor.

Get a mix track pro and download vdj Serato DJ and traktor Le. Mess around with each so you can get a taste of each program.
    I'm a fan of all things art. Music, film, photography, acting, dancing. Expression is powerful.
    www.twitter.com/mtlgrrr
    www.soundcloud.com/mtlgrrr
    www.facebook.com/mtlgrrr

Quote Originally Posted by VanGogo View Post
    I would start with deciding which software you want to use first. Try out trial versions of Traktor, Serato DJ, Virtual DJ, etc.
    Then start looking at which controller, or CDJs and mixer, or Digital Vinyl System (turntables and mixer) you might want to control the software.

Do some searching and reading to narrow down your preferences. Similar questions have already been answered many times on this forum and many other DJ related sites on the web.

If possible, once you've done your homework, go to a local music store and try out some different equipment to see what you might prefer.
    This, but also decide what your budget is going to be, and work around this. Your budget will limit what you can buy, so use it wisely.

I'd also advocate the idea of trying to find a mate who has some kit you can have a try on and see what you think to it. As always, just have as much fun as you can and enjoy the journey!
    Pioneer CDJ 1000MK3 x 2/Pioneer RMX 1000/Traktor S8/Pioneer HDJ2000s/Pair KRK RP5 G2/MBP 13"/Traktor Scratch Pro/Push/Novation Launchkey 25/Trigger Finger Pro/1.5" iMac :-) http://www.facebook.com/DJThinAir

Not sure why everyone jumps to deciding on a piece of software. There's also the possibility of playing from vinyl or cdjs as well.
    2 x CDJ 850 | Kontrol S4 | A&H Xone XD-53's | A&H Xone K2 | Kontrol X1 | Kontrol F1 | DJM 900nxs

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by firebr4nd View Post
    Not sure why everyone jumps to deciding on a piece of software. There's also the possibility of playing from vinyl or cdjs as well.
    5692-crying-while-laughing.jpg
    Kontrol S4Senn HD 25-1Kontrol F1

Quote Originally Posted by firebr4nd View Post
    sure but remember, that this is djtechtools. and as you might have already experienced the forums are mostly dedicated to digital djing.
    I'm just a girl, standing in front of a boy, asking him to love her.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Paris View Post
    sure but remember, that this is djtechtools. and as you might have already experienced the forums are mostly dedicated to digital djing.
    This is true, it's just that you don't truly know your preferred method of DJing until you've tried em all. I think playing around with all the different types of gear is recommended before you drop some cash, as someone already suggested before.
    2 x CDJ 850 | Kontrol S4 | A&H Xone XD-53's | A&H Xone K2 | Kontrol X1 | Kontrol F1 | DJM 900nxs

Tech Wizard

Firstly learn the basics using virtual dj, After that, you can buy Vestax Spin / Typhoon. they are one of the best controllers for beginners. You will have to change from Virtual DJ to Traktor after buying a controller if u really wanna be a good DJ. It needs lots of practising so good luck.

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast