Should I keep it or return it?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default Should I keep it or return it?

Ok So I just recently purchased what I thought to be a new, but older model Maschine Mikro. Well long story short the controller itself was new but the maschine and komplete discs were already registered under another user. I contacted NI about it and they said there is nothing they can do and I should just return it.

Now, my question is this: since I got the controller for only 150, do you think I should return it or keep it? I know it can be used with other software aside from Maschine like ableton, reason, etc. So if you were in my situation would you send it back or keep it? Will I be able to be productive with it in Ableton or another sofware?

Thanks in advance for the advice

Where did you get it from?
    2 x CDJ 850 | Kontrol S4 | A&H Xone XD-53's | A&H Xone K2 | Kontrol X1 | Kontrol F1 | DJM 900nxs

Tech Wizard

I bought it on amazon

Tech Guru

Return it. 150 for the mikro is too much without software.

Return it, no doubt.

This has been my biggest gripe about native instruments and all of their products, you can own their hardware but their overall attitude when it comes to their software is "oh someone screwed you on a license - tough shit".
    Mean while on the internet their shit is some of the most pirated - solid business model.

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by diezdiazgiant View Post
    Return it, no doubt.

This has been my biggest gripe about native instruments and all of their products, you can own their hardware but their overall attitude when it comes to their software is "oh someone screwed you on a license - tough shit".
    Mean while on the internet their shit is some of the most pirated - solid business model.
    Exactly, honestly I've been thinking about pirating it just based on how little they were willing to do for me. I was trying to do the right thing but its not exactly hard to get masculine without a license.

That being said I think I'll return it and just get my money back. Is maschine really worth the price tag brand new from NI? Or can anyone recommend a good starting point for someone looking into starting production? Maybe a launch pad and ableton combo?

Thanks for the help

Don't pirate, not on morality, but shit is loaded with malware and buggy. Not worth it.

Just return it.

The joys of software - you don't really own anything any more, you're just "licensing" it. One of the reasons I'm pretty selective about buying software, it's completely obsolete in a few years. At least a hardware drum machine like my MPC in twenty years will still be what it is now, my maschine - good luck finding an installation disc let alone a computer compatible with it.

Trade off eh?

Oh and yes I still feel it's worth it brand new. I wouldn't want it to be my only piece to write with but it's an excellent "wild card", it can fill a lot of roles; it's deep, expedient and easy to learn the basics.

Tech Mentor

did you get it off a vendor on amazon or a private seller? odd its already registered. leads me to believe a private seller getting rid of it quick. did they maybe forget to unlock the registration so you could use it?

Tech Guru

Send a message before you buy next time. Make sure the software has been unregistered. Maybe the previous owner will unregister the serial from their account if you ask them to.

If you want to produce, get a keyboard.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast