Rane Empath/EFX-1000 or DJM-800
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default Rane Empath/EFX-1000 or DJM-800

I'm not made of diamonds, and I recently sold my Denon Dn-X1500S, so now I'm on the hunt for my next mixer. I was pretty set on getting an used DJM-800, but now I'm thinking of getting a Rane Empath plus EFX-1000 (found great prices on all of these). DJM-800, to me, is pretty versatile, but I've heard amazing things about the sound quality of Rane products.

I mix trance and some electro house. Let me know what you guys think of either setup.

Thanks!

Banned

You will absolutely never be able to tell sound quality difference between these mixers unless MAYBE you're playing on a million-dollar funktion-one system... And even then I sincerely doubt it.

Differences in audio quality in top-tier mixers is one of the most overhyped concepts in gear. It's negligible.

Yeah. Just get the 800. The EFX 1000 is a bastard to master in all honesty.
    Pioneer DJM 700 / Traktor Kontrol X1 / 2 x Technics SL1200MK5 / Traktor Scratch Pro 2.6.7 / Ortofon Concorde Nightclub MK1
    Audio 8 DJ / Sennheiser HD 25-1 II / Magma Traveler / IsoAcoustics ISO-L8R155 / KRK RP6 G2 / Vinyl

Tech Wizard

I'm going to go for the 800 then. Thanks for the advice!

Tech Mentor

Used to have the 800, and the effects I found were pretty useless. Well, that's a bit of an exaggeration, but they, like most Pioneer fx, aren't exactly subtle. Everyone will know exactly when you are using them.

Might be worth getting a slightly lesser mixer, and a better fx unit, like the RMX1000.
    Technics 1210 mk2's, Pioneer CDJ 500, Allen & Heath DB4, NI F1's (x2), Reloop Contour Controller Edition, Sennheiser HD25 1-II or Allen & Heath XD2-53's depending on my mood...

Mixcloud : xs2man - Latest Mix: Latest Mix 13-10-2016

Tech Wizard

xs2man: what would you consider a slightly lesser mixer? I want an updated sound compared to what I had. Maybe a DJM-700? I like effects, but I'm more driven on getting a high sound quality mixer and effects as an option.

Thanks!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by xs2man View Post
    Used to have the 800, and the effects I found were pretty useless. Well, that's a bit of an exaggeration, but they, like most Pioneer fx, aren't exactly subtle. Everyone will know exactly when you are using them.

Might be worth getting a slightly lesser mixer, and a better fx unit, like the RMX1000.
    The Pio effects are kind of their own beast. I wouldn't say they're bad, but they aren't very intuitive. You really have to learn to use them.

Seriously though, are you really going to bring an RMX 1000 to every gig and hook it up for a set? Never get used to relying on gear that you won't always have live. The RMX-1000 is for if you're big enough to put it on your rider and have it set up for you.

If you're using Traktor, which it sounds like he is, just get a modular controller and use Traktor's effects.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaeros View Post
    xs2man: what would you consider a slightly lesser mixer? I want an updated sound compared to what I had. Maybe a DJM-700? I like effects, but I'm more driven on getting a high sound quality mixer and effects as an option.

Thanks!
    No, really dude... The Sound quality difference between the Denon Dn-X1500S and whatever you buy is going to be basically negligible unless you're playing on a PA high-end enough that the promoters wouldn't let you use your own mixer on anyways. If you're buying a new mixer, it should be for any reason other than that. If you're thinking your audio quality is bad, check the other factors, because i guarantee it's not the mixer.

Tech Wizard

I'm using a pair of CDJ-2000s. The sound seems cleaner on a 800 on up. I have not had any other experience on another mixer besides the Denon. I'm leaning towards the 800 to essentially get used to a "basic" setup.

Banned

Hmm.... Yeah I promise that's a placebo thing... Audio quality ranges only VERY slightly in most mixers.

Maybe it's the bitrate of the files you're playing?

Tech Wizard

I run 320kbps or WAV minimum. It could've been a placebo thing haha. Yet, I am mixerless so I gotta get something soon

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast