Vinyl listeners? hifi systems? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by SlvrDragon50 View Post

Those Pro-jects and Rega are nice, but they aren't going to be as good as the Technic.
    You're probably right if you're comparing an M5G but I would guess these belt drives do better than the Mk2 as far as speed stability goes (but in reality we're probably splitting hairs between them). I haven't compared specs though fwiw.
    "Art is what you can get away with." - Marshall McLuhan

If there's a "prettier" table than a technics 12 I don't want to know about it.

Even a single technics is a beautiful thing... Have that badboy front and centre.

You seen the film Shame? Mans got a nice set up with a technics at the centre that's the vibe IMO
    CLUB OF JACKS - RELEASES >>TRAXSOURCE
    Club of Jacks are a London based House & Garage production / DJ duo with releases on a number of underground labels including Plastik People Recordings, Blockhead Recordings, Hi Energy!, Pocket Jacks Trax, Soul Revolution Records and their own Club of Jacks imprint.

Tech Guru

Nah. I'm talking MK2 djproben. The mk2 and M5G are pretty much the same mechanically.

The SL1200 has 0.01% wow and flutter while the Project Carbon has 0.1%.

Good little read:
    http://www.kabusa.com/myth2.htm

the project debut carbon with a Red pickup is the same price new as a used 1200 and its really good for listening, also good looking as furniture!
    when i worked in a hifi store i sold loads of them, more popular than cd players.

Quote Originally Posted by SlvrDragon50 View Post
    Nah. I'm talking MK2 djproben. The mk2 and M5G are pretty much the same mechanically.

The SL1200 has 0.01% wow and flutter while the Project Carbon has 0.1%.

Good little read:
    http://www.kabusa.com/myth2.htm
    Interesting info, but there's a huge difference in pitch stability between the M5G and MK2 (at least the ones I've owned). "Huge" as measured in Traktor using timecode btw, I don't mean you can hear the difference; as I said earlier this is basically splitting hairs. But I did not know that was still probably better than the Pro-Ject.
    "Art is what you can get away with." - Marshall McLuhan

Tech Guru

If there's a difference I would guess it's only because the M5G uses a digital fader and probably makes speed settings better? I have no clue.

Either way, I don't think it's worth buying a new set up unless you really don't like the look of the Technics. Patch's Technics are BEAUTIFUL.

I've always been a fan of function over form anyways.

Another thing to note: The M5G does have better tonearm wiring than the MK2. It's something you definitely want to replace.

I still misssssss Vinyl omfg

+1 for Pro-ject Debut. Great hi-fi table.

When listening and not DJing, things like .01 wow & flutter difference become obsolete to the everyday ear unless you have super-focused listening ability. The main difference in the Project/Technics argument above is the use of belt drive against direct drive.

As said earlier, the Technics is already a hi-fi table. You'd be better off spending money on the cartridge first, then amp+speakers before replacing the turntable.

Quote Originally Posted by MaxOne View Post
    If there's a "prettier" table than a technics 12 I don't want to know about it.

Even a single technics is a beautiful thing... Have that badboy front and centre.
    For me the Technics SL1200/1210 design is not that pretty a turntable. It is definitely iconic but to me it’s the AK47 of the turntable world. Rock solid, dependable but definitely not pretty. Some audiophile turntables are drop dead gorgeous in comparison.

But there is no arguing it is a superb piece of engineering so why swap unless you are going for something very special.

http://www.aplusrstore.com/product.php?id=1147&cid=197
    ^^pretty
    any other speaker options that look decent and sound good?

i think i'm going to keep the 1210s. (at least one of them...) i'll probably end up selling my mixer and just getting a pre-amp.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast