Vinyl listeners? hifi systems?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Vinyl listeners? hifi systems?

Hi all,

My vinyl collection is starting to get a bit bigger and I am (more) actively collecting records. Outside of "DJ music," I do listen to lots of music. Right now i have a NAS drive with my iTunes library and use my Technics 1210/DJM 900 to listen to records. Unfortunately, I may be getting rid of the TTs and mixer (still weighing my options) and would like to replace them with a good "listening turntable" and speakers. For sound, I use the 5" pioneer DJ speakers/monitors.

tl;dr: any recommendations for a good "for-listening turntable" and speaker? I would like something that is...uh...pretty. lol seems shallow and half stupid, but these pieces would probably front and center in my living room.

Tech Guru

Just stick with your Technics.

I bought a pair of Technics for this reason.

Technics were originally marketed as Hifi tables, but DJs picked them up. Speakerwise, that's a bit more complex...

Just buy a hifi cartridge in place of your dj cartridge. I just bought an Ortofon Omega for 30 bucks since the needle can be upgraded to their top of the line MM cartridge stylus (OM-40). Otherwise, Shure M97XE and Audio Technica AT-95 are good bets too. Denon has some nice ones as well.

Awesome site that I'm using to rebuild my Technics:
    http://www.kabusa.com/frameset.htm?/

Never sell your technics, unless you have more than 1 set

agree with what silverdragon said, unless you are going to spend some cash.
    i would get better speakers/amp before upgrading your technics table.

I don't dj on vinyl. I used to, but i rather have the record collection i share with my old man just for listening purposes.
    At home we were always about 1)good music and 2) good sound, so much that we more often than not gave up on vacations just to buy new gear :P
    We're currently using a kuzma TT&tonearm +grado cartridge to a rotel pre->krell amp to a pair of old b&w matrix 801, and a pair of diy mahogany floorstanders built with Accuton drivers as 2nd speakers
    Quote Originally Posted by donstone View Post
    I only use VINYL flooring. Rugs are for cheaters.
    Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    If you can't find an Abba song that you like, you are a liar of the highest order.

Best thing you can do is search for "turntable" on eBay and spend a good few hours looking through the 35k-odd listings you'll find. Find a few you like the LOOK of, then check reviews on them. Then read up on cartridges, and pick one you think will suit the genres of music you listen to most.

EDIT: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Tu...item3cd1d0bf37
    Last edited by mdcdesign; 05-20-2013 at 08:23 AM.
    For Sale: Handmade Custom DJ Cables - RCA / TRS / XLR!
    Gear: 2x Reloop Contour, Zomo MC-1000, Reloop RMX-40 :: Reloop Terminal Mix 4 :: Korg nanoKONTROL :: Traktor 2.6.1
    Latest Mix: June Progressive House (Soundcloud)

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by mdcdesign View Post
    Best thing you can do is search for "turntable" on eBay and spend a good few hours looking through the 35k-odd listings you'll find. Find a few you like the LOOK of, then check reviews on them. Then read up on cartridges, and pick one you think will suit the genres of music you listen to most.

EDIT: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Tu...item3cd1d0bf37
    I just don't see a purpose in trying to hunt down a vintage table. You're gonna have to spend like 500+ dollars to get a table that'll compare to the Technics. The wow and flutter of the SL1200 is just insane for its cost not to mention the tonearm.

He's after a "pretty" one though.
    For Sale: Handmade Custom DJ Cables - RCA / TRS / XLR!
    Gear: 2x Reloop Contour, Zomo MC-1000, Reloop RMX-40 :: Reloop Terminal Mix 4 :: Korg nanoKONTROL :: Traktor 2.6.1
    Latest Mix: June Progressive House (Soundcloud)

Take a look at Pro-Ject Debut turntables; they have a few under $400 brand new that are quite nice looking and have great reviews. And they come in different colors as well. If you have a few more bucks to blow take a look at Rega.
    "Art is what you can get away with." - Marshall McLuhan

Tech Guru

You can buy a plinth that will sit around the Technic.

http://www.soundhifi.com/sl1200/index.htm#other
    http://www.kabusa.com/m1200.htm bottom of page

Those Pro-jects and Rega are nice, but they aren't going to be as good as the Technic.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast