iTunes Library and Traktor Collection
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default iTunes Library and Traktor Collection

I'm really struggling to understand the relationship between Traktor's Collection, and an iTunes Library.

I understand that Traktor will read the iTunes Library, and build a collection based on that. But what happens when I add new tracks to my iTunes library? How does Traktor know to add ONLY the newly added tracks to the collection?

I currently have all my tracks on an external HD, and they are separated into 18 different Genre folders. I'm beginning to think this is NOT a good idea...

AND - if a Traktor Collection is built on an iTunes Library, where will the Traktor info (cue points, BPM, etc...) be stored?

I've read the Collection section in the Traktor manual a couple of times, and must admit, I'm bloody puzzled by it. I don't like the idea of building a Traktor Collection based on my iTunes Library (>7k tunes) more than once. That's gonna take TIME.

I've set up some iTunes Smart Playlists that are pretty damn cool - will I be able to play from those Smart Playlists within Traktor AND be able to save stuff like loops/remix sets and cuepoints to the collection?

I'm starting to wish I got into Traktor a LONG time ago...
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

What I usually do when I want to update an iTunes smart playlist imported into Traktor, is to delete the playlist from the Traktor playlist section and re-import the iTunes' smart playlist again.

this will include all the new songs that have been added since the last time you had imported it.

I always use the "Analysis Lock" in Traktor after prepping the tracks' beatgrid and cue points so it cannot be overwritten, unless you force it.

When importing the smart playlist again, any track that you have prepped (cuepoints and beatgrid) will be "ready-to-go", meaning it will still contain your cuepoints and beatgrid, etc..

Traktor really needs to improve their iTunes integration on the next iterations. I hear Serato has a better integration (I can't vouch as I have never really dove deep into Serato) and Traktor needs to step up.

Cheers papo. That makes some sense - Smart Playlists in iTunes are dynamic, they'll change as you add songs to your iTunes Library, but the Smart Playlist that is imported into Traktor is NOT dynamic (it is a snapshot of the Smart Playlist as it looks at the date of import).

So whenever the iTunes Smart Playlist is updated (any time you add tunes to the iTunes library), you'll need to delete and re-import all the Smart Playlists into Traktor?

Does Analysis Lock ensure that any saved loops/remix sets are stored too?

Sounds a little convoluted, but hey, it is what it is..

But I'm still getting my head around keeping my iTunes library up-to-date!
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy

Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    Cheers papo. That makes some sense - Smart Playlists in iTunes are dynamic, they'll change as you add songs to your iTunes Library, but the Smart Playlist that is imported into Traktor is NOT dynamic (it is a snapshot of the Smart Playlist as it looks at the date of import).

So whenever the iTunes Smart Playlist is updated (any time you add tunes to the iTunes library), you'll need to delete and re-import all the Smart Playlists into Traktor?
    Exactly. Once you import into Traktor, it is no longer a smart playlist, but just a playlist. No longer has anything to do with iTunes.

Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    Does Analysis Lock ensure that any saved loops/remix sets are stored too?

Sounds a little convoluted, but hey, it is what it is..

But I'm still getting my head around keeping my iTunes library up-to-date!
    If you have Traktor save your loops as you create them, they are stored in your Main traktor collection. Deleting a playlist, does not delete them from your collection. So, your loops and remix sets should stay intact.

It is convoluted, mainly because Traktor's has piss-poor iTunes integration. I have a feeling Traktor Pro 3, whenever announced/released, will have lots better iTunes integration. At least, I HOPE so.. (This is simply my thoughts. No sources here. )

There is an app called Trainspotter, that you look into to. I believe they have a PC version available.

This app was created to help "SYNC" your Traktor library with your iTunes library. The developer is also a user on this forum. I prefer to use the method explained above, but it is an alternative you can look into.

It sounds like I'll just need to get organised. Something I'm pretty good at anyway...

I'll just have to set up Smart Playlists for each month (based on import date/sort date (thanks for helping me out on that, too!)), and update my iTunes Library, and re-import all playlists at the end of each month.

Time to get organised!

you guys sound like you are having nightmares getting these two HULKS to live together?!?!
    I have to honestly say, im at a loss here and im going to go home tonight and check on a couple settings i have in my Traktor Pro 2.6
    and post them
    because i am having absolutely NO problems with iTunes and Traktor living well together
    and understanding any changes in iTunes that Traktor needs to know about.

Im at work for the next few hours so ill have to get back to this one. WOW

**understanding cue points, loops, etc***
    no idea why yours isnt seeing or keeping that info.
    Once i have the song imported to traktor playlist (doesnt matter if traktor scanned a folder or i dragged it into a custom playlist in traktor)
    all the settings to that specific track are saved and reload as such
    even if i go down to my iTunes folder inside the traktor "TREE"
    and load the song into the deck from there
    It still sees loop points, tags, info, comments, everything.

Ill be back later on this one

Nice one! The more the merrier! ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by antifmradio View Post
    you guys sound like you are having nightmares getting these two HULKS to live together?!?!
    No nightmares on my side. Just a workflow on how to update Traktor playlists once new songs are added to your iTunes smart playlists.

do you use smart playlists in iTunes for Traktor?

no i dont use smart playlists

also of course you cant update a traktor playlist when you add new music to an itunes playlist

they are two different lists which have nothing to do with eachother lol.

The only thing that traktor can do is update its collection by automatically scanning the folders you tell it to
    which would be the folders where you commonly download new tracks into.

Is that the problem you are having?
    You add new music to your computer and traktor is not seeing it to add it to the appropriate playlist you have altered in itunes?
    If thats it... keep searching....tell us when you find that golden goose.
    It doesnt work that way, and it wont work that way so far.

Now i dont use Smart Playlists. but i do create plalylists in iTunes to use in traktor.
    The way i do it is i do get a TON of music from different folders all loaded into a single playlist
    (playlist May 15th)
    in this playlist, the songs from from several different folders.
    Once i remove all the songs i DONT want in this playlist, i have a finished one.
    I find a folder that Traktor is set to scan in my computer
    and i drag ALL the songs from that itunes playlist into it
    (itunes then copies all those songs into that new folder which traktor watches)

then i go back to all those original folders i got the original files from, and i delete the folders.
    Thus doing two things
    A) removing any copies of the songs i dont need copies of any longer
    B) Reducing the amount of space used on my computer because now i am only keeping the songs i want to keep in use for Traktor

Now when i open Traktor, it is already set to scan that folder (along with other folders)
    for any new music or changes to the music it knows.
    Traktor is also then set to ask me to ANALYZE the songs it just found.

Now that traktor is done, iTunes is closed, and all those exta songs with their folders have been deleted,
    traktor is ready with a TON of new beats.

At this point, i go to my TRACK COLLECTION (top of the traktor tree on the left)
    and i organize the list to show the most recent imported songs first, decending.

Using the PREVIEW track area, i can then preview the songs, and drag them to the appropriate playlist i have setup in traktor.

I know thats a bit much but it just seems like you are going a LONG way around a small hit guys

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast