DJM-2000NXS Walkthrough - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Maybe someone can help me with some of my questions regarding the DJM 2000. Currently I owe a VCI-100 SE and use it with Traktor and my Audio 4 DJ. I was offered 2 CDJ 2000 and a DJM 2000 for 2200€ (which is about 2900$). Is that a good deal or not?

If I buy it there are a couple of questions on my mind. Im not quite sure if i will keep the CDJ's because my goal was to use the DJM 2000 with two X1's (doesn't matter if mk1 or mk2 at the moment). How does the cablework come together? Do I need to use the Mixer externally or internally in Traktor? Im a littlebit confused right now on the cabling and the result. I also wanted to use the touchpad for Hotcue triggering. In my eyes there should be no problem in that setup, right?

The last concern is wether or not I am able to get rid of my Audio 4 DJ. The DJM has an audio interface and makes the a4 obsolete but I am not 100% sure. You see I am really lacking some knowledge about this topic so it would be very nice if someone helps me out here.

I always liked my VCI-100 and enjoyed playing on it but it is a littlebit "packed". It would be so much easier for me to have the 4 channels without switching all the time. I was always a fan of "one knob one feature" instead of using shift all the time.

Thanks in advance

Quote Originally Posted by MaxPower View Post
    Maybe someone can help me with some of my questions regarding the DJM 2000. Currently I owe a VCI-100 SE and use it with Traktor and my Audio 4 DJ. I was offered 2 CDJ 2000 and a DJM 2000 for 2200€ (which is about 2900$). Is that a good deal or not?

If I buy it there are a couple of questions on my mind. Im not quite sure if i will keep the CDJ's because my goal was to use the DJM 2000 with two X1's (doesn't matter if mk1 or mk2 at the moment). How does the cablework come together? Do I need to use the Mixer externally or internally in Traktor? Im a littlebit confused right now on the cabling and the result. I also wanted to use the touchpad for Hotcue triggering. In my eyes there should be no problem in that setup, right?

The last concern is wether or not I am able to get rid of my Audio 4 DJ. The DJM has an audio interface and makes the a4 obsolete but I am not 100% sure. You see I am really lacking some knowledge about this topic so it would be very nice if someone helps me out here.

I always liked my VCI-100 and enjoyed playing on it but it is a littlebit "packed". It would be so much easier for me to have the 4 channels without switching all the time. I was always a fan of "one knob one feature" instead of using shift all the time.

Thanks in advance
    Youre getting 2 CDJ-2000s for $450 apiece. Buy that, and when you sell it again, you'll make money.

The mixer has a sound card build in, as long as you dont need timecodes, you dont need any external sound hardware. It also mixes externally through its sound card. You also might be able to minimize the amount of controllers you use if you get comfortable with the touchpad, not to mention being able to throw off Traktor entirely thanks to having a pair of CDJs.

If you dont need timecodes, you can get rid of the A4.

Quote Originally Posted by MaxPower View Post
    That's an awesome deal. How'd you pull that off?
    2 x CDJ 850 | Kontrol S4 | A&H Xone XD-53's | A&H Xone K2 | Kontrol X1 | Kontrol F1 | DJM 900nxs

I hope this is someone you know because otherwise it's a scam scam scam.

First off, that is a great deal; buy it or have your friend sell it to me. Second, a DJM-2000 is sheer overkill for mixing internally - you definitely want to set up traktor for external mixing if you're going to use it. I'm pretty sure most of the interface doubles as MIDI control so you ought to be able to still control whatever you want in Traktor with it. Third, using it with two X1s alone is very doable (you might need a USB hub for the X1s), but it will be a lot less fun in my opinion - I'd say hang on to the CDJs if you can afford to and play with them a while before selling them for X1s. You'll make money selling them if you decide to - you can practically buy 10 used X1s for what you can sell one of those for. And keeping them around gives you the option of going computerless.

I've checked out the DJM2000 but never played with one. It is an incredibly powerful mixer that can do a lot; it's too powerful in a way -- my fear with it would be forgetting a setting that I turned on in a screen that I have to navigate back to to turn it off.
    "Art is what you can get away with." - Marshall McLuhan

Tech Wizard

Thanks a million for the replies. First of all I don't know the guy. Im a little scared to fall for a scam after all your input on being a great deal. The first offer was 2750€ (around 3615$). I managed to get him down to 2200€, got a copy of his ID and he offered to sign a contract. So I feel on the right way but you got me thinking. My idea was to get only a Mixer so I found that offer. With that price I would be able (I hope) to resell the CDJ's for around 2000€ and that for get the DJM for only 200€. Don't know if Im able to spend over 2000€ right now. I would love to keep the CDJ's but that would mean starve for a couple of months. On the other hand Im not sure to get another great deal like that...

What are your thoughts on my problem and what would that Set-Up (DJM2000 and 2 X1's) lack in your eyes. I hope no one is angry on me for hijacking this thread.

Thanks again

Well if you don't have the money you shouldn't keep the CDJs; getting a mixer like that for 200€ is practically getting it for free. If you can afford to keep 1 CDJ try it out and see if you like it - better yet spend the money on a turntable But if you're happy with X1s, no reason to listen to anyone else about it - try out CDs or turntables when you feel like it, and can afford them. For me it's just not as dynamic controlling playback with buttons and knobs. I like X1s for controlling effects, looping, etc., and for a portable setup, but for a home setup with a decent mixer I much prefer controlling the music with vinyl. CDs wouldn't be my first choice but those particular players can do a lot of cool stuff - if I got them for that price I'd enjoy playing with them, and I prefer always having the option of playing without having to connect Traktor at all -- you won't be able to do that with an X1.

If you don't know the guy, have you actually seen the setup he's selling? Or met him? If this is all over internet it sounds a bit shady (and if it is over the net, the guy has some clue that he could easily get 1000€ more without even trying, so it makes me wonder why he's selling so low). If we're still posting about it, he's not selling this low to make it happen fast; he would have sold him already.
    "Art is what you can get away with." - Marshall McLuhan

Tech Wizard

You have a couple of good points, sir. Well he only send a couple of photos, I have his ID, we signed the buyingcontract and the Set Up is "on its way". Again: Im really scared to have fallen for a scam but I guess I will find out soon. No risk no fun. I never spend more on that hobby (hardware side) than on the VCI-100 (which was stupid cheap) and the Audio 4 (which was 50% of back then). I gave it a shot and hope to have that equipment by the weekend...

Of course I would love to keep the CDJ's because who knows when I'll be able to get a deal like that again. But money is low because I just finished University a couple of weeks ago and am searching for a job right now. So cutting my wallet isn't the best choice I guess. The other option is to keep the CDJ's and leave the X1's out as long as I save up the money to fill the gap of the paid CDJ's.

Anyway. Maybe I'll just use my VCI-100 SE to trigger loops and that other stuff I am used to. I used turnetables of a friend a couple of times and it's not for me. I'll keep you posted on the "ScamDeal". Wish me luck

fuck traktor, keep the CDJs

Tech Wizard

HAHA. Yeah. And fuck eating, fuck rent, fuck savings... I see your point and I really want to keep the CDJ's (If i'll get them ) but Im not quite sure to get rid of those savings for that. On the other hand... Im so torn right now. The head say "no, please be reasonable" and my stomach and heart scream "Hell yeah. you need that, you owe that to yourself. YOU WANT IT - SO KEEP IT"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast