Question on subs with KRK 8s.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Question on subs with KRK 8s.

Hopefully this diverts some of the hate going on in the "tired of DJing" thread...

So I have been Learning to DJ for a little over 6 months now. I really never intended to do this is front of a large crowd or do any giging but the inevitable happened. Some of my friends came over a few nights ago while I was mixing and they heard a few songs that I was doing some simple AB mixing with. My 2 best friends throw a small house party (15-20 people) at least once a week. They want me to come over and start mixing some tunes. They reassured me my mixes sounded good enough for a bunch of drunk Dub guys.... I still dont think so.

Anyways, Since I never intended on playing out I have been happy with my rokit 8s to jam out in the man room at my house. So I hopped online and did a bunch of searching on using the rokit 8s to DJ with. As usual on the internet, 50% of people say its ok and 50% say you are stupid. Im going to be in a basement that is about 60'x 40'. Considering such said party is thrown once a week in a residential area, we like the music to bump but not so much so that that we piss everyone off. This all being said, with what I have read, the 8s should do plenty fine in this size room at this volume level. Just enough to rock the 60x 40 room and loud enough to get some noise resonating up the stairs into the kitchen and family room / rest of the party area.

(Sorry for the long winded paragraphs before the question)

Considering we are all into bass music, would it make sense at all to have a nice sub to go along with the 8s that might be a little over kill for the size of the rokit 8s? I was thinking about purchasing a QSC KW181 sub. If I ever decided to play bigger stuff I really want to get a set of QSC KW181 and a set of QSC k12s. I have heard these a few times at my local shop and at 1 party and really like how they sound.

Would it be COMPLETELY idiotic to run a KW181 with a set of rokit 8s at a very small house party? I can do slightly idiotic just not completely idiotic...

Yes, I know I could Rent some speakers as well. I just cant help think about cranking that sub at home when the wife and kids leave for a few hours. So im not considering it 100% for such said parties.

Thanks in advance guys.

Tech Guru

Gain control on the back.......you're all set. I say do it up

I mean it's slightly idiotic to DJ with any sort of nearfield monitors if there are going to be people dancing. A few people sitting around at home isn't really a big deal. 15-20 people might be fine or it might not. It's starting to push it and much more than that and you start to run a very good chance of blowing your speakers if you aren't already.

They are called nearfield monitors for a reason. They are meant to project sound to one or two people in an otherwise quiet room like 4' away from the speakers not fill up an entire room with sound over people yelling and dancing.

I had to learn the hard way when I first started djing that 8" powered monitors are not adequate for a small house party. It was in a much smaller space (like 15'x25') but maybe double the amount of people and I blew both of them after about an hour and a half.

Yes I would also say that buying a $1500 18" subwoofer to go with a pair of $300 8" powered monitors for house parties is pretty ridiculous. You could buy a proper complete PA system with a subwoofer for about that much if you go with another brand.

See this was the big debate on the internet. Everyone was saying that the rokits are more bookshelf speakers than nearfield monitors. I kind of understand this logic. Who would need the rokit 8s for just 4' sound radius? Again, I dont know much so im just regurgitating what I have read and it makes a little sense in my uneducated mind.

Like I said, Im not looking to throw a concert with these little speakers. Just mix some music loud enough for people to really dance too and feel.

Tech Guru

Rokits are designed to be production studio monitors. Meaning they are meant to be used by production engineers, in a studio, and carefully placed in relationship to the listener. They have a flat response curve, and reproduce a wide range of frequencies. They are great to practice fine tuning your blending as a DJ, cause they are very clear. They weren't designed to project sound far distances. They were never designed to be used for parties, but you might be the best person to judge wether or not they might work in your particular situation. The sub you are looking at is a good sub, designed for live audio, def will overpower the rokits easily, but w/ gain control you can find the right match for the night. If you were looking to buy the sub anyway, but were worried it would be too much for your party.......then I would say you can always dial it down.

Quote Originally Posted by William Gibson View Post
    See this was the big debate on the internet. Everyone was saying that the rokits are more bookshelf speakers than nearfield monitors. I kind of understand this logic. Who would need the rokit 8s for just 4' sound radius? Again, I dont know much so im just regurgitating what I have read and it makes a little sense in my uneducated mind.

Like I said, Im not looking to throw a concert with these little speakers. Just mix some music loud enough for people to really dance too and feel.
    They are monitors meant for producing. You need speakers and a sub. not monitors.

Crank the gain on the back of each speaker and for 15-20 people in a small room, they'll be fine. I use the same speakers in my DJ setup at home and they go plenty loud enough.

Quote Originally Posted by manchild View Post
    Rokits are designed to be production studio monitors. Meaning they are meant to be used by production engineers, in a studio, and carefully placed in relationship to the listener. They have a flat response curve, and reproduce a wide range of frequencies. They are great to practice fine tuning your blending as a DJ, cause they are very clear. They weren't designed to project sound far distances. They were never designed to be used for parties, but you might be the best person to judge wether or not they might work in your particular situation. The sub you are looking at is a good sub, designed for live audio, def will overpower the rokits easily, but w/ gain control you can find the right match for the night. If you were looking to buy the sub anyway, but were worried it would be too much for your party.......then I would say you can always dial it down.
    This is what Im thinking. I wanted the sub anyways so...

As far as the 8s go, the Room they are in right now is just a hair bit smaller than the room they will be in for such said party and they are PLENTY loud where they are. I realize you have to add the noise of people in the mix but as I said, it is usually 20 people tops and at any given time a few will be outside smoking, a few will be in the kitchen eating and drinking and the rest will be in the room with the speakers. I think the 8s should be plenty loud for a room with roughly 10 -15 people in it...

Quote Originally Posted by AllDay View Post
    They are monitors meant for producing. You need speakers and a sub. not monitors.
    Thanks for your opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by matrick View Post
    Crank the gain on the back of each speaker and for 15-20 people in a small room, they'll be fine. I use the same speakers in my DJ setup at home and they go plenty loud enough.
    I think so too.

Im going to cop the sub and see how it goes. If for some reason the 8s dont cut it for such a small space I will bite the bullet and crab a set of thumps for $700 bucks...

Thanks Guys.

Tech Mentor

Not sure what you budget is but I am using something like this for house parties small events

http://hkaudio.com/products.php?id=5

And keeping the krk 8 which I also have at home you can always run the sub off the HK system with the krk's.

Quote Originally Posted by William Gibson View Post
    Thanks for your opinion.
    Monitors are for near field listening. You need speakers that are meant to spread sound throughout the room, not be directional.

Its not an opinion dude, monitors are used for producing and for beatmatching songs in. Not for pumping a party. You will be disappointed with the lack of loud sound.

A sub is unimportant if your mids and highs can't break over people partying.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast