help choosing a multi format cd player
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default help choosing a multi format cd player

Hello all,
    I need help choosing LOW PRICED a multi format cd player (a pair, actually.) I use Traktor 2 Pro, and I'd like to be able to use midi, so I'm looking at the following models:

1) Gemini cdj-700
    2) American Audio Radius 3000
    3) Stanton CMP.800
    4) Numark NDX900

I am staying away from high end/high price (Pio/Denon) for 2 reasons: this is just a hobby for me now, and trying to save money.

Does anyone have any experiences (good/bad) with any of these players? Have you used them with T2Pro?
    Also, if you have any other players in this same street price range (300-400 each) that you could recommend, let me know. Any help would be appreciated.

PS: I'm using a denon dnx1500s, but will prob. upgrade to a dnx1600, plus I also have an Audio10 somewhere, so having a built-in soundcard is not a requirement for me. Thanks

Tech Guru

Have you considered simple platter controllers too?
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

Tech Guru

If you're using Traktor, why not just use the Denon SC2000?

Some people here claimed that the Gemini had shoddy quality issues, and it was a bit laggy. Reviews I've read on the AA Radius 3000 and Stanton CMP.800 look awesome though. I'm really interested in this thread as well.

You might as well just start off with Pioneer CDJ400's. They're in the same price range as all the CDJ's you listed and are by far a better build quality, and also support MIDI.

It might seem like a lot of money to pay for the more expensive stuff when you're just learning, but you'll end up saving money in the long run because you won't have to repair and/or upgrade your gear as frequently. And if you find you don't have enough time to use your gear anymore, the more expensive equipment has a way higher resell value.

Tossing the Reloop RMP's into the mix.

Avoid the Pio 350s and 400s, they're an utter, utter joke.

EDIT: To answer the inevitable "why" from all the Pioneer fans; 5 inch jogwheel. Why bother buying CDJs (if you're going to use them with Traktor anyway) with tiny jogwheels? Might as well just use a Contour or a PL-1.
    For Sale: Handmade Custom DJ Cables - RCA / TRS / XLR!
    Gear: 2x Reloop Contour, Zomo MC-1000, Reloop RMX-40 :: Reloop Terminal Mix 4 :: Korg nanoKONTROL :: Traktor 2.6.1
    Latest Mix: June Progressive House (Soundcloud)

Tech Guru

Have you used RMPs before? The CDJ 400 jog wheels will work better in Traktor than any MIDI jogs due to having HID support.
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8

I have now, yeah. The CDJ400 apparently has really poor resolution with Traktor, even using HID.. from what I've heard, it's not a limitation of the protocol (or NI's implantation of it) but the hardware itself.
    For Sale: Handmade Custom DJ Cables - RCA / TRS / XLR!
    Gear: 2x Reloop Contour, Zomo MC-1000, Reloop RMX-40 :: Reloop Terminal Mix 4 :: Korg nanoKONTROL :: Traktor 2.6.1
    Latest Mix: June Progressive House (Soundcloud)

Tech Guru

Never read any complaints about them; I remember someone saying recently that the performance was decent. Advanced HID is a very recent addition to Traktor though.

Tech Guru

Still can't get Reloop RMP3s in the US mdcdesign :P

I'm assuming he's in the US anyways. eBay has finally sold out of the contour interfaces too. Shame, I was about to buy one.

Tech Wizard

Hi all,
    Thanks for the replies. To clarify, I am in the US, used to do mobile for MANY years, but now it's strictly hobby (hence the need to keep costs down, since I can't recoup the costs). Thought about ddj-sx and remapping to Traktor (or possibly waiting to see if Pio would make a ddj-tx for Traktor) but like the ability/flexibility to use cds/timecode too.

Thanks again for the suggesions/recommendations. Keep em coming! I'd like to make an informed decision.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast