OT: Graphic Design
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default OT: Graphic Design

I've always really liked to mess around with some basic graphic design ever since my parents bought a copy of Paint Shop Pro when I was in junior high. But I'm really no good at it.

Now, I'd like to be able to design some basic fliers and stuff. I'm a decent artist on paper, but when it comes to doing stuff on the computer I'm hopeless. As I mentioned before, I have Paint Shop Pro, but it's a real older version, so that's probably out.

I've been trying to use GIMP lately to do some stuff, but for whatever reason GIMP confuses the hell out of me.

So really what I'm asking is this: does any one know of some good websites with tutorials for beginners using GIMP? Thanks.

Edit: Not that I'll be able to do anything like this any time soon, but I'd really like to be able to design fliers like this at some point:

Last edited by Lambox; 09-08-2009 at 08:18 PM.
    LamboxMusic.com
    Newest release: A Pimp's Overture in B-Flat Minor
    Check out my free "Robo Rhythm" EP: Here

Soundcloud - Facebook - Twitter

Tech Guru

As the graphic designer heres the best tip i can ever give you...

USE PHOTOSHOP.

Once u've got that bit sorted, just rape tutorials. Heres the best photoshop tutorial website on the net imo (fucking brillient for doing fliers).

http://psd.tutsplus.com/

Heres another tip. Its ALL about attention to detail. SUBTLE detail. Ie gradients/outerglow/bevel/dropshadow etc. BUT!!! Make sure u use them subtlety. The way to test this is if its opbvious what effect your using. You should only be able to really tell theres an effect when you turn it on/off.

The best way to use effects is the layer effects in Photoshop. Once you've got it look up photoshop layer effects in google.

Also I would suggest aiming higher then that flier u posted. I mean its allrighht, but pretty tacky & generic IMO.

I would be down to learn how to use photoshop. There's just one problem. Photoshop is pricey (to say the least). I'm only doing this graphic design thing because I think it's fun and it's something new that I want to learn (I feel like if I'm a musician I should do other forms of art as well, yeah? ).

Basically what I'm trying to say is that I'm not serious enough about this to make that sort of investment, which ironically is the same thing I said before I started DJing and producing.

GIMP, on the other hand, is free, and fairly powerful IMO.

Thanks for the advice though, I'll still dig through that site. There has to be some information on there that would be useful to me anyway.

And I know, it's not the greatest flier in the world, but if I could do something like that, I'd be happy.
    LamboxMusic.com
    Newest release: A Pimp's Overture in B-Flat Minor
    Check out my free "Robo Rhythm" EP: Here

Soundcloud - Facebook - Twitter

Tech Guru

i just started teaching myself photoshop last year so i could design my promo art and fliers. I recommend checking out design blogs and tutorials, it will speed up the learning process big time. I wish I had thought of reading tutorials earlier because my progress has accelerated dramatically since then - and it would've saved me some embarassment lol.

here's a few links I found very helpful:

http://www.myinkblog.com/2009/07/14/...p-blend-modes/

http://psd.tutsplus.com/tutorials/te...-in-photoshop/

http://www.fudgegraphics.com/

there's lots more out there just use google to sniff em out. on a semi-related note I just got accepted into the design program I applied for today

Tech Wizard

if you wish to do good stuff, you need the best software anyways ... all adobe CS is dope.
    i use ILLUSTRATOR for all of my designs. vectors work better for me
    but anyways, good luck and show us your results!

Don't listen to them . I use photoshop its true, but I have gimp on my Linux machine and it is a more than capable program if you know what you're doing.
    SyblingQ - Electro House for dark alleys.

Tech Guru

GIMP is surely capable. I dont have tutorial recommendations, however there is a quite busy IRC channel in #gimp on freenode.

If you are on a mac, I can also recommend Pixelmator. Its fairly cheap, very polished and it can do a fair bit of what Photoshop can do, often a lot easier. They also have a vibrant community with tutorials and a very helpful forum.
    Traktor Pro 2.5.0, Mixxx 1.9.1, Massive, Ableton Live 8
    MBP 15" 8GB RAM OS 10.7.4, Audio Kontrol 1, Audio 2 DJ, Sennheiser HD-25 II
    DJTT VCI-100SE Arcade, Akai LDP8, M-Audio Pro Keystation 88, Novation Launchpad, iTM DJ
    ifnotwhynot.me | soundcloud.com | fairtilizer.com | digitaldj planet | digitaldj music

Photoshop is king. Been using it and the rest of the Adobe suite for over 7 years.

One tip about graphic design would be Don't over clutter your design and layout. Simpler is usually better, i see hundreds of club flyers, posters and designs on the web that is incredibly cluttered.

This includes fonts too, using more than 2 or 3 fonts usually means you're over doing it. Use one type face for your main title text and then an easy to read type face for the info. If they can't read what you're saying you're not going to achieve anything :P

Oh and go easy on the effects/filters.

Judging by the design you showed here you already know this stuff though
    The Prime Directive - Electro, Disco & House
    My SoundCloud account: www.soundcloud.com/the-prime-directive
    My Design & Animation Website: www.mintyfreshdesigns.co.uk

Tech Mentor

I find posters like the one above to be awful. I could go on a rant but it my criticism will probably go to waste.
    Macbook 2Ghz, 4Gb Ram, Presonus Firebox, X-Session Pro, Behringer BCR2000, Technics RPDJ-1200's.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by laurens View Post
    I find posters like the one above to be awful. I could go on a rant but it my criticism will probably go to waste.
    I agree 100%.

IMO you can strike a balance of fresh & clean design with the Kandy Rayve aesthetic that stands out hard & isnt cheesy (and thus stands out more IMO).

Heres a few examples:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast