Choosing Proper Equipment - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by makar1 View Post
    How much would a pair of Technics have cost brand new a decade ago?
    That's my point though, people didn't go out - with no experience of DJing - and buy a pair of Technics 1200s. They started mixing on whatever they could get for the least money possible; because they couldn't afford to waste money on something they weren't even sure if they were any good at.
    For Sale: Handmade Custom DJ Cables - RCA / TRS / XLR!
    Gear: 2x Reloop Contour, Zomo MC-1000, Reloop RMX-40 :: Reloop Terminal Mix 4 :: Korg nanoKONTROL :: Traktor 2.6.1
    Latest Mix: June Progressive House (Soundcloud)

Tech Guru

Just saying that nothing has changed. People without experience went out and spent tons of money back in the day, just as they do today.
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

Tech Guru

It really seems to me like you have no idea what all these things do. Do you want to use Traktor or CDJs at clubs? How many decks do you want to use? What genre do you want to mix?
    Also, you shouldn't do this to become a club DJ quickly. First you need to see if you like it and as you get better, start looking for gigs. It'd be a shame to spend $1500 on a set up and resell it for half of its original price a year later. And don't forget a decent pair of headphones is essential.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by mdcdesign View Post
    That's my point though, people didn't go out - with no experience of DJing - and buy a pair of Technics 1200s. They started mixing on whatever they could get for the least money possible; because they couldn't afford to waste money on something they weren't even sure if they were any good at.
    The problem is that the modern equivalent of that is buying a shitty controller... And they almost always end up hitting the sync button, ignoring the mixer, and getting distracted by flashy bullshit like Madeon's pretend-finger drumming, or spamming midifighter effects, instead of learning the actual process of DJing.

I'm a Traktor performance-heavy DJ. I constantly make fun of CDJ DJs who just transition between tracks... and even I would still prefer a kid spent a grand on CDJs than start using Traktor on whatever midi controller they can afford.

Trust me, I started DJing when the very first hercules controllers started coming out, and I got distracted by ean golden's stupid shenanigans, when I should have been learning to DJ. Now I wish I'd just started out with a pairoof CDJs and a mixer until i was ready to do performance-DJing.

Quote Originally Posted by octostout View Post
    The problem is that the modern equivalent of that is buying a shitty controller... And they almost always end up hitting the sync button, ignoring the mixer, and getting distracted by flashy bullshit like Madeon's pretend-finger drumming, or spamming midifighter effects, instead of learning the actual process of DJing.

I'm a Traktor guy who uses a pair of midifighters and turntables... and I'd still prefer a kid spent a grand on CDJs than start using Traktor on whatever midi controller they can afford.
    The trouble is, there's a lot of people who buy stuff on credit just assuming they'll get gigs in clubs and be able to pay it off. So you end up with two end scenarios out of that: useless DJs who manage to blag themselves into a club based on the gear that they own, which is bad for the industry, and people who realise DJing isn't for them, and can't afford to pay the loan back, which is bad for the economy.

Buying a cheap controller (especially a second hand one) is a MUCH lower risk to everyone involved.
    Gear: 2x Reloop Contour, Zomo MC-1000, Reloop RMX-40 :: Reloop Terminal Mix 4 :: Korg nanoKONTROL :: Traktor 2.6.1

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by octostout View Post

I'm a Traktor performance-heavy DJ. I constantly make fun of CDJ DJs who just transition between tracks... and even I would still prefer a kid spent a grand on CDJs than start using Traktor on whatever midi controller they can afford.

Trust me, I started DJing when the very first hercules controllers started coming out, and I got distracted by ean golden's stupid shenanigans, when I should have been learning to DJ. Now I wish I'd just started out with a pairoof CDJs and a mixer until i was ready to do performance-DJing.
    +100

I think also years back, having to make a good sized investment in decks and a mixer also almost forced you to learn properly because of the investment one had made. The instant gratification generation wants to spend as little as possible, hit a few buttons and call it a day. Kinda sucks, but there's a huge market of them.
    SSL - DJM 800 - Technic 1200's - X1 - ITCH - NS6 - VCI-300

Quote Originally Posted by makar1 View Post
    Mixer, CDJs, and an X1 make the most sense if you plan on doing gigs at clubs. You'll need a sound card too (ideally a timecode one) so that should bring you up to the budget limit.
    +1. If i know there is a mixer available i would just stash my lappy, x1's and audio 6 into my udg bag and good to go.
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Quote Originally Posted by Jester View Post
    +1. If i know there is a mixer available i would just stash my lappy, x1's and audio 6 into my udg bag and good to go.
    *decent mixer

In two of the three venues I worked tonight, the DJs had brought their own mixers because they either didn't like the brand of the house mixer (one guy brought a DJM-800 because the venue had a Xone:62), or the general condition of the equipment was sub-par.

Whatever setup you decide to go with (modular controllers, CDJs, or all-in-ones), make sure you have enough gear of your OWN for a complete setup, just in case the equipment in the venue isn't up to scratch.

I'd save a few quid for some decent tunes too
    Beats By Dre is like audio flu for your balls.

Quote Originally Posted by smittten View Post
    I'd save a few quid for some decent tunes too
    You know, that's like 50% of my argument when explaining to people why going out and buying THE MOST EXPENSIVE GEAR isn't always the best way... I tell them; buy the cheapest setup that SUITS what you do - without making compromises with regards to needed features/comfort - and you've got X amount of cash left over to spend on music

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast