Choosing Proper Equipment - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

If you want to play at a club they provide equipment for you...

anyways saw you have $1500 to spend and it looks like your settled on the DDM-4000 that's fine to learn on. just remember industry standard is a DJM mixer or Rane mixer

1. ddm-4000 or a cheap 4 channel mixer and throw an Innofader in it $350

2. pair of Technics 1200 mk2 $800

3. Rane SL2 $400 "Can be used with serato and has core audio drivers as well as asio drivers. and can be adapted to work with traktor with a mod 1 sound card for both software and it's industry standard

4. X1 $160 (optional)

total is about $1700 maybe you can find used or somewhere that has this stuff on sale. you can wait to get the x1 later and just use your keyboard.

It's nice that you have a decent budget to get serious with your hobby. Most guys start this on a tight budget of like $500 or less and they have to be creative in building their rig but eventually will go with the industry standard whatever it may be for the time.
    If you can mix on DVS it's easier to just jump on cdj's. It's usually vinyl guys can switch to cdj's but cdj guys have problems working with WAX . Good luck man btw if DJing doesn't work out... you can always resale that gear at the price you bought it for Can't really say that about the cheaper gear.

Tech Guru

I don't think you really need an innofader if you aren't scratching.

Technics aren't for everyone. I also can't see why you would ever be forced to work with DVS instead of CDJ. DVS may be cheaper than CDJ, but I still think CDJ is the way to go. You're going to see more CDJ usage than DVS.

i would buy a used soundcard (like the NI AUDIO 2 for around $79 and Traktor for $89). get used to the software and learn the keyboard commands.

after 30 days, if you love DJing, step it up to the next level.

Tech Guru

The Audio 2 comes with full Traktor Pro now
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

If you're just playing at home... do you need a full 4 channel mixer right away? That would be one of the things I'd really think about first. I'd go with a solid 2 channel mixer with good in's/out's to add an FX unit later on. There are a lot of really solid 2 channel mixers out there (without FX) that are going to give a lot better sound quality than the DDM-4000. (I liked that mixer before I ever used a nice one, but then I used a nice one and you can hear the difference in sound quality if you have a decent system). Personally I'd look for a Rane TTM-56 or Rane TTM-56s and you're going to have a hell of a solid mixer with good ins and outs.

Something to think about right now as well is the Pioneer CDJ-850's are on an 8 payment plan through http://www.americanmusical.com/ which brings it down to a little over $112 per CDJ per month. That's something to think about. Getting a set of used 1200's isn't bad either, and you can find deals on them, or standard rate is roughly $400 a pop, which is still less than solid CDJ's.

I like Serato, so I'll always lean toward that if you want to get a computer involved with your setup. I've seen SL1 boxes go from $150-$300 on Craigslist, and it's pretty reasonable.

If you do go with the CDJ-850's, same as with the 900's or 2000's, with either Traktor or Serato you can use them in HID mode or whatnot, and so it makes setup a breeze.

A lot to think about on how you want to spend your cash.
    BREAKBEATS AND OTHER MUSICAL ADVENTURES
    Facebook - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Mixlr - Twitter

Tech Wizard

essential question is traktor or serato in my opinion!!! just get a used s4 and see if you like it....

Quote Originally Posted by SlvrDragon50 View Post
    I don't think you really need an innofader if you aren't scratching.

Technics aren't for everyone. I also can't see why you would ever be forced to work with DVS instead of CDJ. DVS may be cheaper than CDJ, but I still think CDJ is the way to go. You're going to see more CDJ usage than DVS.

i've been in many situations where I had to use DVS instead of CDJ in HID mode... like when your the opener and the headliner uses turntables. You don't wanna be that guy that makes them change out the equipment. but then again this is Traktor forums where guys will bring there s4 and plug into 1 channel of a DJM2000.... do what yall like

Tech Wizard

DVS much nicer for scratching.....

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123