Richie Hawtin using Abelton Push - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Tech Wizard

word!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Xonetacular View Post
    Hawtin seems to love integrating new technology just for the sake of it whether or not it actually adds much of anything to make it look like he is doing a lot more than just mixing a couple tracks, which is usually what he's doing.

Don't get me wrong he's a great DJ but he seems to have a lot of people fooled who drool over photos of him DJing with lots of gear and somehow everyone thinks he's always microlooping 3-4 decks and always coming up with original patterns on the fly. If you actually watch/listen to his sets he does very little of that. It's all part of his brand image of being at the forefront of technology and cutting edge. I mean the dude is worth 8.5 million and has a clothing line, he knows how to market himself.
    Thank you for confirming my doubts.
    Quote Originally Posted by donstone View Post
    I only use VINYL flooring. Rugs are for cheaters.
    Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    If you can't find an Abba song that you like, you are a liar of the highest order.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Timbo21 View Post
    Didn't his mate say recently that he mapped his gear so that he can do the same thing different ways, which obviously looks like he's doing additional stuff, rather than reaching for the same pots & pads.

Dj'ing is so much about showmanship and marketing more than ever these days, and having an array of nice coloured flashing pads is all part of that

I'm not actually convinced all the latest DJ trickery adds a whole lot more than what was going on when it was just vinyl. I thought, and still do, there was something so exciting about having the limitations of 2 decks. If you've looked at the grooves of a record under a microscope at a cut you will see the squiggly, higgeldy-piggeldy grooves going all over the place, so it seems so improbable to play that on some turntables and get them in sync.

Listening back to some really great vinyl only mixes. What Hawtin is doing is clever, etc, but it's not a lot more aurally exciting than some of the great vinyl mixes, with great tracks, mixing, and cuts I've heard. It's probably better to watch.

Agree to disagree.

I saw a video of him using the Push on stage. He was mainly using the sequencer to generate beats on the fly rather than using it to launch clips. I think he was using both Traktor and Ableton Live on stage from the photos.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234