exporting to mp3
    Tech Mentor

Default exporting to mp3

what low quality settings can i use so it doesn't sound bad, but it discourages people from stealing it.
    2x numark TT's, djm350, and vinyls/records and that's all i use man.

if it's a demo you are putting out, I would think about 128kbps. will sound good, but you can tell the difference between a 320kbps file.

this will probably not discourage people from "stealing" it. however, if the song is good, it will encourage some to buy the higher quality file.

Tech Mentor

here is the 128kbps loop i put together http://soundcloud.com/supermannnn/un...09-low-quality

except for my newer version, i fixed the claps not in sync. and im working on changing those claps to something that can give it a 1990 taste.

Don't worry about anything being stolen. You'll get more satisfaction from people liking your music than you will get upset from someone stealing it.

It's also very unlikely that, should anyone steal it, you EVER find out they used it anyway.

There's nothing wrong with your loop - but it's not massively different to something that can be found on a sample CD...
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    Don't worry about anything being stolen. You'll get more satisfaction from people liking your music than you will get upset from someone stealing it.

It's also very unlikely that, should anyone steal it, you EVER find out they used it anyway.

There's nothing wrong with your loop - but it's not massively different to something that can be found on a sample CD...
    haha patch you done it again. you gave me a whole new way of understanding things. yes that one loop i'm using is pretty known. but even then my focus should be on the satisfaction from people liking my music, not being upset if someone steals it, that wont stop me from doing what i have to do. make beats for my ears.

i like your perspective. +1

Nice one!

And the truth is - so what if someone steals one of your loops? YOU'RE the only person that can make YOUR loops. Just make another one!

Imitation is the highest form of flattery.

In the immortal words of Souls of Mischief:

Quote Originally Posted by Souls
    They bite our flows but we make up new ones
    If you're really dope, why ain't ya signed yet?

But I get
    My loot from Jive/Zomba
    I'ma bomb ya
    You will see
    From now to infinity
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy

Tech Convert

Well the 320 kbps version would definitely be better..the quality will be good..these days 128 kbps versions are almost out of the market. People are preferring more quality sound.

for a demo you could use a watermark. every 30-40 seconds or whatever put in a short blast of white noise or something to discourage people from using it, but won't stop them listening.

When people put watermarks on their work I don't listen to any more of their tracks.

Nothing more discouraging than hearing a watermark 20 seconds into a nice track.

You have to pay your dues - and if that means *risking* someone stealing your work, then so be it. Having your work stolen arguably gives you more credibility.

If you dont want kats to steal it then only post clips bruv.
    - Equipment - 2X Technics 1200, 2X Audio Technica ATLP1240, 2X XDJ700, 2X XDJ1000 MK2, Denon DNX-1100, Mixars DUO, DJM750 MK2, NI Audio 10, NI Aduio 4, Serato SL3, 4X Shure M44-7, 2X Ortofon Pro S, 2X Numark Groove Tool, Maschine MK3, Samson Carbon 49, Roland SE-02, Novation Launchcontrol, TouchOSC, Nocation Peak, Arturia MiniBrute, Korg Volca Kick, MicroKorg (Classic), NI Komplete Audio 6