What Should A Demo CD Include
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default What Should A Demo CD Include

I am making my first demo CD and so far I have a link to my mixcloud, a demo mix, and contact info is their anything else that could be overlooking that i could put on it.
    Emachines E528 4GB of Ram Traktor Pro 2 | MF Classic | Numark Stereo IO | Numark Mixtrack |

Mixcloud

Tech Guru

Facebook and Twitter if you have them, possibly an extremely brief Bio, but not really necessary...really depends on the caliber venues you're targeting. One piece of advice, most people that listen to your demo aren't going to listen for more then 10 min, and usually a lot shorter, so make your point very early on with that in mind

I use printed cd's, custom artwork, unclude a tracklisting, sticker, business cards, and usually a flyer for whatever event Im playing at next.
    - Equipment - 2X Technics 1200, 2X Audio Technica ATLP1240, 2X XDJ700, 2X XDJ1000 MK2, Denon DNX-1100, Mixars DUO, DJM750 MK2, NI Audio 10, NI Aduio 4, Serato SL3, 4X Shure M44-7, 2X Ortofon Pro S, 2X Numark Groove Tool, Maschine MK3, Samson Carbon 49, Roland SE-02, Novation Launchcontrol, TouchOSC, Nocation Peak, Arturia MiniBrute, Korg Volca Kick, MicroKorg (Classic), NI Komplete Audio 6

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by hellnegative View Post
    I use printed cd's, custom artwork, unclude a tracklisting, sticker, business cards, and usually a flyer for whatever event Im playing at next.
    I don't want to make it look like im bashing this post, cause those are good tips on making your stuff look professional, but.........

All the promoters/owners of big time bars and small clubs/lounges that I've gotten to know, literally laugh and throw that stuff away. If we're talking big time clubs, then all that stuff is def a must have as part of your EPK. From my experience, if they are going to give an unknown a shot, it's not because you impressed them w/ professional looking stuff, it's gonna be because you walked up to them and had a face to face convo, you seem like you know what you're talking about, and they listen to your demo after and liked it. Again, just from my own personal experience, having professional looking stuff will obviously never hurt you, but it might not help any either...so make the decision if it's worth your effort.

Its worked for me at TAO, LAVO, The Bank, Marquee, and with Rave promoters around here. My website has a link to my pk. Either way Im happy playing on the radio every week.
    - Equipment - 2X Technics 1200, 2X Audio Technica ATLP1240, 2X XDJ700, 2X XDJ1000 MK2, Denon DNX-1100, Mixars DUO, DJM750 MK2, NI Audio 10, NI Aduio 4, Serato SL3, 4X Shure M44-7, 2X Ortofon Pro S, 2X Numark Groove Tool, Maschine MK3, Samson Carbon 49, Roland SE-02, Novation Launchcontrol, TouchOSC, Nocation Peak, Arturia MiniBrute, Korg Volca Kick, MicroKorg (Classic), NI Komplete Audio 6

Tech Guru

Its worked for me at TAO, LAVO, The Bank, Marquee, and with Rave promoters around here. My website has a link to my pk. Either way Im happy playing on the radio every week.
    Wuddafu!!!! Wanna hook me up whenever I go to Vegas lol.

Shoot me a demo.

For CD's I just pass out, I burn copies of my most recent mix on my computer, write on them in permanent marker, and make sure it has my soundcloud address on there. Sometimes I'll get fancy and put them in a nicer case, and then I'll include more information.

That being said, passing out CD's is such an important thing people don't do nearly enough. I've definitely received CD's and helped booked artists because I tossed it into my cars player and really enjoyed it, and otherwise I might have never heard of them. You never know who is going to get one of your CD's.

Some people go over the top with it. Split tracks with their mixes, get them professionally done. Which is awesome. But for someone starting out? Buy 100+ CD's. Burn your favorite recent mix. Pass that shit out with your name on it, and enjoy
    BREAKBEATS AND OTHER MUSICAL ADVENTURES
    Facebook - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Mixlr - Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by manchild View Post
    I don't want to make it look like im bashing this post, cause those are good tips on making your stuff look professional, but.........

All the promoters/owners of big time bars and small clubs/lounges that I've gotten to know, literally laugh and throw that stuff away. If we're talking big time clubs, then all that stuff is def a must have as part of your EPK. From my experience, if they are going to give an unknown a shot, it's not because you impressed them w/ professional looking stuff, it's gonna be because you walked up to them and had a face to face convo, you seem like you know what you're talking about, and they listen to your demo after and liked it. Again, just from my own personal experience, having professional looking stuff will obviously never hurt you, but it might not help any either...so make the decision if it's worth your effort.
    I agree to a certain point. I woulnd't go too out of my way to put together a demo CD. That's like spending hours working on a reume. You're wasting your time when you're more likely to get a response from the sheer "volume" not from any one effort.

Well if it worked for you, then it must work for anyone, without any exceptions

Quote Originally Posted by manchild View Post
    If we're talking big time clubs, then all that stuff is def a must have as part of your EPK.
    Totally agree. Here in LA an EPK is king over just a demo. And a lot of bands (not sure about DJs, but probably so) just host theirs online and can submit to directly to promoters/club owners via email link rather than spend money burning CDs that (as someone previously mentioned) often get tossed in the trash.

You can do your own EPK. I am in the process of building mine in Flash Catalyst. I am including my music, photos, links to my social media and website, press, lyrics, and bio.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast