Recording on the fly: Digitial Recorders?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Recording on the fly: Digitial Recorders?

Just wondering what people have found for a solution for recording sets live. Right now it's one of my bigger issues and I just don't end up recording any of my live sets.

I mix externally with an SL1 box, so I don't have the ability to just record in the SSL software. Usually when I'm at home I just run a cable from the mixer's record out to the input on my computer, and have Ableton going and recording at the same time. Honestly I want to get an SL4 in the future, but it's not something I'm looking at right away.

Running a lot of software programs is not something I really want to push live at a gig though. I'd much rather just have a small portable digital recorder to hook up to the record out on the mixer, and not have it eating up computer resources at all. It's just something I'm probably a bit overly worried about, but the last thing I want is latency when playing live, or any random spikes.

Does anyone have any suggestions for portable digital recorders that they have used?

I've been looking around, but it seems almost all portable recorders have the live / drum / guitar musician in mind, and not just a simple recording tool. I mean hell, I could use a walkman, but figure digital would be the way to go.

Any advice would be great
    BREAKBEATS AND OTHER MUSICAL ADVENTURES
    Facebook - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Mixlr - Twitter

Good topic and question. I wonder if there's a quality smart phone / tablet app that'll do the job.
    Used Record Shopper

I use a Zoom H4n everywhere. It records at very high quality and has two XLR / 1/4" inputs on the bottom.

Tech Guru

Tascam make a range of recorders at different price points, similar to the Zoom H4n.
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

Quote Originally Posted by botstein View Post
    I use a Zoom H4n everywhere. It records at very high quality and has two XLR / 1/4" inputs on the bottom.
    In my experience, Zoom kit is reasonably priced and very reliable.

We have just gotten a Tascam unit in at work but I haven't tried it yet. I'm not a huge Tascam fan in general and the unit feels a bit flakey. I have also had HORRENDOUS problems with tascam drivers (not that it would necessarily be an issue in this application).

I am looking at getting something similar myself and leaning towards: http://bluemic.com/mikey_digital/ Clearly you need to use an iphone or ipad so if you don't use one this is a no go. BTW this mic has the line in too. Here's a video review from the lads over at digitaldjtips:

Beats By Dre is like audio flu for your balls.

Tech Guru

There seem to be complaints about the Mikey from all sorts of users over on Amazon.
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8

There's all kinds of complaints about Traktor on here too
    Beats By Dre is like audio flu for your balls.

Tech Guru

Which is probably why the OP wants a reliable hardware solution, and the Mikey doesn't look too reliable from the reviews.

Quote Originally Posted by Bassline Brine View Post
    Just wondering what people have found for a solution for recording sets live. Right now it's one of my bigger issues and I just don't end up recording any of my live sets.

I mix externally with an SL1 box, so I don't have the ability to just record in the SSL software. Usually when I'm at home I just run a cable from the mixer's record out to the input on my computer, and have Ableton going and recording at the same time. Honestly I want to get an SL4 in the future, but it's not something I'm looking at right away.

Running a lot of software programs is not something I really want to push live at a gig though. I'd much rather just have a small portable digital recorder to hook up to the record out on the mixer, and not have it eating up computer resources at all. It's just something I'm probably a bit overly worried about, but the last thing I want is latency when playing live, or any random spikes.

Does anyone have any suggestions for portable digital recorders that they have used?

I've been looking around, but it seems almost all portable recorders have the live / drum / guitar musician in mind, and not just a simple recording tool. I mean hell, I could use a walkman, but figure digital would be the way to go.

Any advice would be great

Zoom H1 is an affordable option but build quality is not great (mainly plastic) on the other hand the H4N is an amazing quality digital recorder used by many professional film makers so that's defiantly an option as well

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast