Friend are too "old"....
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Friend are too "old"....

Hi folks,

Looking for some advice. Maybe some of you have been in this situation.

I'm 28 years old, married, no kids. Most of my friends are my age or older and also married, some have kids.

As I try to build up my following as a DJ and push to increase my promotion to land gigs, I have nobody to go out to venues and events with to meet other DJ's, promoters, and be present in the scene. I've managed to do it a little over the last few months by begging some friends to join me (including my wife) and I've made significant progress but I feel there is potential for a lot more, especially in nearby cities like Montreal and Toronto.

All my friends are "done with clubbing", or they have to be up at 5am the next morning for other adult commitments, or they've had a long day at the office and would rather just relax at home.

I've managed to meet a bunch of people in the scene but I wouldn't call any of them my friends. I can't go out and hang out with them all night as they have their own group of friends. Promoters are usually busy socializing anyway, they don't tend to hang out with one group.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Thanks

Tech Mentor

I know what you mean mate.

I know this sounds quite sad but just go by yourself... Make friends and then u have ppl to go out with.

I went out by myself once to check out this night, ended up talkin to the promoters and meeting some of the djs, they asked me who i came with and just said myself i wanted to check out the djs and the music.

Now im playing with the guys everymonth and made some great friends
    Technics 1210 mk2 Pair, Pioneer DJM600, Traktor Kontrol x1, NI Audio 6, NI Maschine Mikro MK2, MacBook 2009, iPad 2 with Traktor DJ, Pioneer HDJ-500, Shure M447's

Man I'm in the same position. Moved to a new city, friends are all popping out kids like it's going out of style, etc. Like city_boy said, just gotta swallow your pride and head out alone. I try to find out when nights are happening and make my way out for a couple hours. Gotta hustle!

Hey, can't PM you so replying here

What kinda music you play? I definitely can relate only in my case it's hard to find people who share my music tastes. Anyways, if you're ever in Toronto, feel free to hit me up man!

Where do you live?

I'm in the heart of downtown Toronto have been DJ'ing for 14 years and am also married, with a 9 month old baby. I still go out a lot, although I have to admit I'm not really into "the scene" that much. Some of that is because I DJ'd at a prominent after hours club here for 5 years, and just got my fix of it between that and basically being a "partier" for as long as I can remember.

In any case, I'm always interested in meeting new people, but I always describe the scene as "dead" around here.

Tech Mentor

I have ten years on you your not old, as to getting out and djing you may just have to create your own scene.

Find some partners and put on some events in bars etc and build it from there promoters are always happy to add smaller acts, groups if they are draw cards and you have to create that. When I use to do this full time I always tried to colbrate it's an older idea but build a sound system up with a physical sound system and djs do some free parties you may start getting paid for it.

I use to live in Whistler and I remember some wicked backwoods parties I am sure something like that is happening in your neck of the woods

Quote Originally Posted by city_boy07 View Post
    I know what you mean mate.

I know this sounds quite sad but just go by yourself... Make friends and then u have ppl to go out with.

I went out by myself once to check out this night, ended up talkin to the promoters and meeting some of the djs, they asked me who i came with and just said myself i wanted to check out the djs and the music.

Now im playing with the guys everymonth and made some great friends
    Sound advice that.

I got my first gig when I was working the doors at a club in Yorkshire. I didn't know anyone, but talking to staff, DJs and promoters and then one thing lead to another, so they say.

Talking to people is the easiest way to do things, or try and meet people through the forum (that's how city_boy07 and I know each other) and I also I don't think there is any shame in checking out things in your own... I'm 29, live alone and have no kids, and a lot of settled mates, but I love my life and the way I do things and wouldn't change anything :-)
    Pioneer CDJ 1000MK3 x 2/Pioneer RMX 1000/Traktor S8/Pioneer HDJ2000s/Pair KRK RP5 G2/MBP 13"/Traktor Scratch Pro/Push/Novation Launchkey 25/Trigger Finger Pro/1.5" iMac :-) http://www.facebook.com/DJThinAir

Thanks for the all the feedback guys, I appreciate the advice.

I'm located in Ottawa. My website will have my social media outlets if you guys want to hook up and stay in touch.

www.erniesega.com

Thanks

I wish you luck to find some friends around, it is probably different there than here in uk, city is stoke on trent, where I still got no friends in common interest, but hopefully when I start my studys there will be someone to meet.

Really nice advice here are given, I haven't been out for some time and should go someday out, but no much of a luck in here although I recently discovered some interesting places.

But the problem is there is nobody to go with me, I'm talking about techno clubs and so on, so I will go alone then. It is not easy when the music sometimes is being played very loud so I can't hear somebody speaking at such places as well.
    -Ableton suite- -Traktor- -Kontrol Z1- -Kontrol X1- -Oxygen 49- -BX8- -HD25II- -Buddha-

I'm was in exactly the same boat as the OP.

None of my mates are particularly into the music I am, they don't like paying "expensive" door prices and they're all pretty much boring c***s.

They might occasionally come out if I'm DJing but that's rare.

So I decided to go out by myself and haven't regretted a single second of it. I've made some genuine friends, met some crazy people and most importantly I've got bookings from doing this.

Even tonight, technically I'm going out by myself, but I now know most of the people going

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast