taking over a set/gig
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default taking over a set/gig

hey guys, a question

how do u take over a party?the last dj is playing his last track on vinyl or somethin and u want to beatmatch on that. i hope u understand what i mean.
    how do i take over without a brake. i mean that would be nice too because u can play your own bpm and stuff, giving a break to the audiences ears.
    how do i do that?when i mix internaly.

thanx

If you want a continous and smooth transition, the thers only one thing to do. Bring out that old ear!

Otherwise just just start out with a track that has an intro with no beat, and mix that into the vinyl track.

Tech Wizard

There are no rules, you can do whatever you feel. Considering the atmosphere, the crowd etc..

I personally tend to leave the last record of the previous dj end then i just start, so people can cheer him, but this is in a club/rave situation. If you are in a bar or some kind of house party, i think avoiding the music stop is better.

I remember one time, i turned off the turntable of the previous dj at the end of the record (like the outro of the record) so it would slow down and make the transition and he was like mad at me, saying i had no respect for doing so... (lol ego... ). So just avoid stopping the previous records in the middle of it (in the end is ok i believe)!

Jack Bastard

Just mix it manually innit.

yeah

you can go two ways really, make a smooth transition by just beatmatching by ear, and the majority of the audience wont really know the difference and just keep dancing.

Or (and probably at a slightly higher level where the DJ will be a known 'name') you can have an obvious and deliberate break partly as suggested to let the other guys set finish and people clap him or whatever, but also to show a deliberate introduction and to show its the start of your set.

And most big name DJ's will have a piece of audio to play anyway that acts as their 'introduction' music before they play the actual first song. Could be just name drops and siren noises going or could be a totally out of genre sample like fanfairs, old songs or dramatic music before they actually get into their set. And if your REALLY clever you could remix the song so that it morphs into a beat and a dance song at the appropriate tempo to get you smoothly into your first actual song and into your set.

A very quick search on youtube managed to find two of fatboy slim opening different shows, with firstly what sounded like the voiceover intro of a TV show and secondly a very old romantic song from the 60's or something, before both times dropping into hos first tunes for that particular set, and also one of the Prodigy coming onto stage with lots of synth noises and big sirens before the bass drops and the beat kicks in.

I'm sure if you have a search you'll get loads more ideas.

k

Tech Wizard

Default well well.

em, ok so i should just watch out that i dont cut off his track.
    i think the easyest way to line in is with a melody or somethin similar, where there is no beatmatching.
    how about finding some fighting sounds (shooting, or just kicks and booms samples) and adding that up till the last song is "dead" and then droping a bomb there?
    anyone done that?

thanx guys

being a great help(as always)

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

You could easily just drop that bomb sample as the track ends, I've heard DJs get really picky about how their songs go out, depending on the DJ. I'd rather the floor keep going than my track end, but that's just me.

What you're talking about could be a lot of fun, and really cool for the crowd. I'd say give it a shot and see what happens.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Quote Originally Posted by shomili View Post
    em, ok so i should just watch out that i dont cut off his track.
    i think the easyest way to line in is with a melody or somethin similar, where there is no beatmatching.
    how about finding some fighting sounds (shooting, or just kicks and booms samples) and adding that up till the last song is "dead" and then droping a bomb there?
    anyone done that?

thanx guys

being a great help(as always)

yeah good idea. Although i would tend to avoid doing it over the end of his last track, just in case he is one of the more ego-fueled DJs who may take offense like described above.

But yeah, my preference personally would probably be to let his last song play out and let the music go silent for just a second, which ALWAYS gets everyones attention they always look up to see why its stopped, then drop your created track of a big bomb drop followed by a pile of karate and kung fu fighting noises etc (Hi-ya! ). Throw in a big deep synth pad noise and a couple of sirens, throw in a few name drops for whatever your DJ name is then transition into your first track. LOL to be really flash (and slightly cheesy! :P) try and time the big bomb drop with a dramatic change in the lighting on the dancefloor, either drop it down so its suddenly pretty dark with only a few scanners or moving heads spinning fast, or maybe drop it into a big colour chance, wash the whole place in a deep red or something :d

When i get a chance later i'll stick on a wee intro i done for a mashup/mini mix CD i made which is along similar lines, a big thunder clap followed by lots of cut up samples from various songs (mostly R&B/hiphop actually) then into the first tune which was Walk This Way on this CD.

Really, what your looking for is something thats individual and recognizable, showing that its now YOU on the decks. I suppose like the rest of your DJ persona its part of your branding, helping people to recognize you and hopefully building awareness of you as a DJ and your name, rather than just being some unknown face behind the decks.

k
    Last edited by kevinmcdonough; 09-10-2009 at 08:42 AM.

Tech Wizard

Default :O)

very interesting, i have a ton of ideas but only few of them are really sticky, like that fighting sounds, maybe eaven vietnam or somethin, last action hero shit i mean or some stuff totaly diferent..
    would be very nice to hear your intro, if u like please post it up...
    i think the best thing to do is listen to your guts, wont say ur balls....somethin in between those two, and then rock it thru that feeling. (not being cocky or anything, dont get me wrong i hate that kinda shi)
    that cant be wrong, i think thru that ur definitely are going to be recognised and people are going to have fun too, and thats what we all want!!!
    fun!!!
    and if something doesnt fit 100% it doesnt matter cause that way the whole stuff feels kinda organic, and "alive" dont u think?

the thing iv noticed thru my life till this very moment is that u will be accepted by people when u are certain(100%!!not 99%) about the shit that u do or say or PLAY
    100% belief that is going to work, that the shit your performing(saying playing doing) is PURE gold just flowing out.iv noticed that in that moment where i said to my self, "you are not better than anyone else" iv lost the presure of being good or great, and then i really rock!
    im very sure that u guys had this kinds of moments more or less frequently, but i believe that is the edge that separates a man from a choed, living on that edge believing that there is no chance that ur gonna fall. and that when u do, nobody is going to be complaining about it.
    talking kinda generaly about life and playing music, cause its in so many ways the same thing

hey

OK here's that wee intro I was talking about.....

k

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast