New DIY Project
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New DIY Project

Default New DIY Project

So here's my new little idea for a controller

Will be using spare parts from Contours and Jockey 3s (button pads, LED rings, knobs etc) and a Teensy 3.0, with either a pair of PCM2706s linked through an internal hub or an I2S --> DAC combination running off two of the Teensy pins.

Basically, the idea is to create a nice compact controller with balanced (XLR) and unbalanced (RCA) outputs and 6.35mm and 3.5mm headphone out. Total size will be roughly 20x50, so basically the size of a 4U 19" rack unit, and about an 4cm thick.

Thoughts, opinions?
    For Sale: Handmade Custom DJ Cables - RCA / TRS / XLR!
    Gear: 2x Reloop Contour, Zomo MC-1000, Reloop RMX-40 :: Reloop Terminal Mix 4 :: Korg nanoKONTROL :: Traktor 2.6.1
    Latest Mix: June Progressive House (Soundcloud)

I really like that! I only use a crossfader for scratching, when mixing its all volume faders, so I really like that layout. The volume faders are a little short for my liking, but that seems to be standard for controllers. Doesn't look crowded either, I think this is a nice concept.
    2 x gemini PT 1000 . Gemini PS-525 . X1
    NI Audio 6 . Traktor Scratch pro 2
    2007 Macbook Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by The Mighty FV View Post
    manners don't cost a thing dude - never forget that, it'll help you in all walks of life.

Quote Originally Posted by dripstep View Post
    I really like that! I only use a crossfader for scratching, when mixing its all volume faders, so I really like that layout. The volume faders are a little short for my liking, but that seems to be standard for controllers. Doesn't look crowded either, I think this is a nice concept.
    Cheers mate I'm got a similar feeling about the line faders, so may have to re-jigger things when I do the CAD designs for the faceplate etc. I may drop the gain controls in order to lengthen the faders a bit. Ideally I'd like to have 60mm faders as, like you, for mixing I ONLY use the line faders, no crossfader whatsoever.

All of the faders/encoders will be top quality 12/14-bit jobbies, the encoders all with a depress action as well for quick resets/toggles.

I may add a phase meter strip (with little square pitchbend buttons, like the ones either side of the cuepoint pads) either above/below each section as well, which may give me the additional room I need for the faders.
    For Sale: Handmade Custom DJ Cables - RCA / TRS / XLR!
    Gear: 2x Reloop Contour, Zomo MC-1000, Reloop RMX-40 :: Reloop Terminal Mix 4 :: Korg nanoKONTROL :: Traktor 2.6.1
    Latest Mix: June Progressive House (Soundcloud)

Tech Guru

Seems like a lot of effort for a homemade Twitch clone.
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

Makar, that's kinda the point of diy controllers. They aren't cheaper, take a lot of work and time. Sure, you could buy a twitch, but why not make a custom controller if you're so inclined? Before you joined here, this forum was filled with diy projects. Its nice to see a resurgence of new controllers.
    2007 Macbook Pro
    manners don't cost a thing dude - never forget that, it'll help you in all walks of life.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by dripstep View Post
    Makar, that's kinda the point of diy controllers. They aren't cheaper, take a lot of work and time. Sure, you could buy a twitch, but why not make a custom controller if you're so inclined?
    +1 to this. I like seeing people's DIY projects even if they aren't really "practical" per se.
    I play house music!
    http://tortango.com/

The only thing practical about a diy controller is being able to lay it out and build it however you want to.

For sure going to follow this thread. MDC, do you have those controllers to bastardize yet, or do you still have to get them?
    2007 Macbook Pro

What about controls for scrubbing/seeking? Layered under CUE/CUP perhaps?

Edit: I'm retarded. I see it now.
    Cheers!
    | 13" rMBP | KORG ZERO4 | NOVATION TWITCH | 2 X CDJ-200 | KONTROL X1 |

DJTT Mapping Ninja Moderator Stewe's Avatar

Pretty cool! Hope to see some progress on this soon.

BTW could be wrong sub forum to post your project.

I just noticed, no filter knobs. Don't need them, or an oversight?
    2007 Macbook Pro

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast