Echo Freeze effect on DJM
    Tech Wizard

Default Echo Freeze effect on DJM

Hi guys,

When I Dj with Traktor, I use the Echo Freeze effect a lot to let a song echo out. I was wondering, how would you do this on a DJM 800 or 900? Just apply the echo effect and pull the fader down? I don't own a DjM, but when I have to play in clubs, I would also like to use this effect.

I tried it once in a club on a DJM by applying echo and pulling the fader down, but I noticed the echo died out almost instantly.

Tech Guru

Have you tried echo, slow down, pause, fader down? That's what I usually do in Traktor cos I can't be arsed to map echo freeze on my controller. It's not quite the same, but does the trick for me.

Tech Guru

It does not drag as long on a DJM. Try echo at 75% dry wet and rate at either 1 or 1/2 beat. Turn the effect on and pull down the fader.
    SSL - DJM 800 - Technic 1200's - X1 - ITCH - NS6 - VCI-300

Tech Guru

The 50% mark on the Level/Depth dry wet knob seems to work best for me, as any further will cause a volume spike when you engage the effect. This is on the 900 though - I think the 800 behaves a little differently.
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

Tech Guru

^ I think you're right. I put the DW anywhere past the 50% but NOT past the 75% and let it rip. Yeah too much DW and it creates significant background
    SSL - DJM 800 - Technic 1200's - X1 - ITCH - NS6 - VCI-300

DJTT Mapping Ninja Moderator Stewe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DISaS73R View Post
    Have you tried echo, slow down, pause, fader down? That's what I usually do in Traktor cos I can't be arsed to map echo freeze on my controller. It's not quite the same, but does the trick for me.
    If you have trouble mapping this effect you can still use post fader to achieve same result with delay effect.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Stewe View Post
    If you have trouble mapping this effect you can still use post fader to achieve same result with delay effect.
    Cheers for the tip, but I haven't mapped it cos I'm too lazy and to be honest, I hardly ever use the effect.

Theres a post fader effect called "dub echo" or something like that (mines at a venue right now or else I'd go check), which is basically controlled by the filter knob. Hit that effect (its one of the six on the LEFT side of the mixer), turn the filter knob and pull down the fader. The effect will still be audible after the fader is pulled down as its a post fader effect.
    Maschine Routine with live musicians
    http://youtu.be/ubEQZSvocto
    fb: http://www.facebook.com/djizn

Tech Guru

The Dub Echo only lasts a fraction of a second rather than the tail you get from the Echo Beat effect.
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

DJTT Mapping Ninja Moderator Stewe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by makar1 View Post
    The Dub Echo only lasts a fraction of a second rather than the tail you get from the Echo Beat effect.
    Activate third button in single FX mode. Should give long tail in post fader.