Suggestions for recording sets from mixer.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Suggestions for recording sets from mixer.

So I'm looking for something to record my sets from my mixer. I've used Traktor to record my sets when mixing internally, but want to look for something that I can use when not using laptop/controler/Traktor and using mixer/CDJs.

The Reloop Tape looks interesting, but I wish it recorded to WAV and not just MP3. My mixer has REC Out, so I'd like to use that and not rely on something that needed a microphone.

Any suggestions would be welcome.
    Traktor: Kontrol X1, Kontrol F1, DN-MC3000, DN-X1700
    Ableton: Launchpad, nanoKontrol2, LPK-25, BCR2000

An interesting option - and a RIDICULOUSLY cheap one - is Minidisc. You can pick up used Minidisc players on eBay for peanuts; just make sure you get one that supports ATRAC3.5 at minimum.
    For Sale: Handmade Custom DJ Cables - RCA / TRS / XLR!
    Gear: 2x Reloop Contour, Zomo MC-1000, Reloop RMX-40 :: Reloop Terminal Mix 4 :: Korg nanoKONTROL :: Traktor 2.6.1
    Latest Mix: June Progressive House (Soundcloud)

Quote Originally Posted by mdcdesign View Post
    An interesting option - and a RIDICULOUSLY cheap one - is Minidisc. You can pick up used Minidisc players on eBay for peanuts; just make sure you get one that supports ATRAC3.5 at minimum.
    Hmmmm...cheap is good. What is the max recording time you can do with those?

You can pick up a portable stereo digital recorder for pretty cheap. I'd go for that over the Reloop.
    A&H Xone:96 | Xone:K1 | 2 x 1210s | Traktor Pro 3 | Apple Macbook Pro (2015) 13" | Sennheiser HD7 DJ | Maschine Mikro Mk3
    read: http://djworx.com/author/dan-morse
    talk: http://facebook.com/bleeptechno
    listen: http://mixcloud.com/bleephudds

Quote Originally Posted by happydan View Post
    You can pick up a portable stereo digital recorder for pretty cheap. I'd go for that over the Reloop.
    Any particular recorder you can suggest?

Max on a minidisc is 80 minutes, which is okay if you're just doing hour sets. If you're doing all-night jobbies though, you're better off just taking your laptop tbh. Even the cheapo digital recorders are still like £50 Minidisc recorders are like £5-10 on eBay haha.
    Gear: 2x Reloop Contour, Zomo MC-1000, Reloop RMX-40 :: Reloop Terminal Mix 4 :: Korg nanoKONTROL :: Traktor 2.6.1

Ok.... so I've been looking at a Tascam DR-40. It has a pair of XLR/TRS combo inputs in addition to the 2 mics, so I could send audio right from mixer REC Out to the device...and have the option of also recording ambient audio at the same time on a separate track. It records in MP3 or WAV...which I like....but its like $150.

Any other options out there that are cheaper but still can accept input from mixer and not rely on Mics?

Quote Originally Posted by DirtyNerd View Post
    Ok.... so I've been looking at a Tascam DR-40. It has a pair of XLR/TRS combo inputs in addition to the 2 mics, so I could send audio right from mixer REC Out to the device...and have the option of also recording ambient audio at the same time on a separate track. It records in MP3 or WAV...which I like....but its like $150.

Any other options out there that are cheaper but still can accept input from mixer and not rely on Mics?
    Well anything with a Line Input really... Old DAT recorders, digital Dictaphones, personal voice recorders, etc etc. The two deciding factors are always going to be cost and quality though, and it's usually going to be a trade off between the two.

EDIT: An old Sony TCD-D7 will give you 120 minutes of raw, uncompressed PCM (48/44Khz) audio recorded to a single tape. Can sometimes pick them up for under £50 on eBay if you're lucky

Hell, even THIS could work: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/8GB-Digita...item2ebfade8a2

Supports WAV and MP3, but doesn't specify what the sampling rate is which could be an issue.

EDIT2: According to this link (http://tablet-pc.en.made-in-china.co...D-Display.html), it's 48/16 which is slightly better than CD quality (PCM 44/16). Looks like a bargain for £15!
    Last edited by mdcdesign; 06-02-2013 at 03:16 AM.

Jesus christ, what a ball ache people make these things.

Done.

http://www.zoom.co.jp/products/h2n/
    Pioneer DJM 700 / Traktor Kontrol X1 / 2 x Technics SL1200MK5 / Traktor Scratch Pro 2.6.7 / Ortofon Concorde Nightclub MK1
    Audio 8 DJ / Sennheiser HD 25-1 II / Magma Traveler / IsoAcoustics ISO-L8R155 / KRK RP6 G2 / Vinyl

Tech Guru

I'm not seeing a Line input on those super cheap recorders?
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast