dubfire mixing technique
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default dubfire mixing technique

Hey guys,

i would like to know how a dj like dubfire or other techno djs like hawtin etc. mix? do they use loops only? how do they arrange things so that they sound well together? which transitions between tracks du they use?

i can not really find much about techno mixing techniques. so it would be great to hear some secrets etc.

thanks!

I feel like this is relevant: http://forum.djtechtools.com/showthr...l=1#post622763

applies to dubfire too.

neither of them are really doing anything overly complicated. it's mostly pretty standard mixing on 2-3 decks, a tiny bit of looping, lots of delay, with the occasionally extra hihats or claps added in on maschine.

the type of techno they both play lately is rather boring imo, especially considering the type of sound hawtin used to put out.
    Last edited by Xonetacular; 06-02-2013 at 05:35 PM.

I'll be seeing Dubfire with Sasha in a few weeks. Hopefully he doesn't bore me to death.
    Cheers!
    | 13" rMBP | KORG ZERO4 | NOVATION TWITCH | 2 X CDJ-200 | KONTROL X1 |

Tech Guru

^Pretty much this. Dubfire tends to spam Delay T3, it seems that he just can't get enough of it.

Sharam is the better DJ of the two...In my opinion...
    Weapons, not food, not homes, not shoes
    Not need, just feed the war cannibal animal

dubfire puts me to sleep... hawtin maybe even worse anymore... want good techno? clr. droid behavior. and the likes of that sound...

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by LanceBlaise View Post
    dubfire puts me to sleep... hawtin maybe even worse anymore... want good techno? clr. droid behavior. and the likes of that sound...
    ANY producer/dj/artist can put me to sleep on some headphones or a hifi system.... We will agree to disagree... Hawtin in a club.. in front of you... is hot shit. But thats my opinion

Quote Originally Posted by balakoth View Post
    Hawtin in a club.. in front of you... is hot shit. But thats my opinion
    I can see where you're coming from and I thought the same thing before I saw a lot of other better techno DJs and producers putting forward much more fresh and interesting sounds.

Same goes for Adam Beyer and most of the people pushing that polished boring Drumcode sound.

I mean I guess it's all good in comparison to cheesy 'big room' festival type music but compared to lots of other techno it puts me to sleep.
    Last edited by Xonetacular; 06-02-2013 at 06:57 PM.

Tech Convert

Basically he usually runs 2-3 tracks at a time, borrowing hats from one and bass/mid from another, and to the third he applies tape delay/delay T3 for that pitch changing flutter you hear. It's the "classic hawtin effect". He uses Maschine to overlay hats or samples, which he then again also applies delays too. He uses another technique of running the same track in two decks simultaneously, to apply effects to one of the decks while keeping the song flowing.

I disagree with people here who find his sets boring, of course they're entitled to their opinion however I find them really entertaining. If you see him live it's almost extraterrestrial.

Now, Chris Liebing is a mad genius when it comes to his live sets. He is almost always running four decks at a time. Check out his video titled 'How I play'.

DJTT Mapping Ninja Moderator Stewe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DISaS73R View Post
    ^Pretty much this. Dubfire tends to spam Delay T3, it seems that he just can't get enough of it.
    He's using Ramp delay. Agreed he overuse it.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast