Neighbors complaining about noise
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Neighbors complaining about noise

So a few months ago it was brought to my attention that my neighbor 2 houses away can hear me when I'm mixing. Admittedly, I like my music loud but I didn't think it was loud enough to be travelling through my walls, through an entire other house and into his backyard over 50 feet away.

I apologized and have taken steps to reduce the noise travel including playing my music quieter, lowering my subwoofer to 50% instead of 100% (I assume he's hearing the bass the most since it shakes my house as well) and even ordering an Auralex Subdude for my subwoofer, though it's been months and Amazon still hasn't shipped it.

Without spending a lot of money soundproofing my room/house and compromising my own enjoyment by turning the volume down more than it is (right now I can have a conversation with others while it's playing, as in it's not very loud at all), is there any advice anyone could give? Also if someone could supply me with a link to a place that actually HAS Auralex Subdudes to ship, that would be much appreciated since Amazon has dropped the ball on this one.

NOTE: I've checked my city's sound violation laws and I'm well within compliance of them. I also only mix between 12 PM and 4 PM so I don't disturb people while they're eating dinner or sleeping.

Tech Guru

If you're mixing where you can hold a conversation at a normal volume, I would call bullshit on their noise complaint. 50' is a LOT of space for sound to travel.

That said, if you're having to yell or talk louder than normal, you're playing too loud. Bass goes straight through walls, there's not much you can do about that. If your bass is shaking your house, IMO, it's way too loud. I don't see a reason to mix that loud unless you're mixing for a party or something.

If you aren't violating sound violations, I honestly wouldn't worry too much about it.

Have you ever actually tested how far the sound travels? Like play a mix at the normal level then walk out and see?

anything audible past your property boundary is too loud. i blame excessive bass
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

DJTT Mapping Ninja Moderator Stewe's Avatar

I got luck to have good neighbors

My neighbours enjoy listening to my music!

Because they have too.
    Traktor Kontrol S2 :: Midi Fighter Classic :: Akai APC40 :: 17" Acer
    Check out our new "D.O.D - What Time?" Remix! : http://snd.sc/1bvF1xf

I live in a block of flats and can mix happily at 4am with no complaints. My property is blessed with concrete walls and floors
    For Sale: Handmade Custom DJ Cables - RCA / TRS / XLR!
    Gear: 2x Reloop Contour, Zomo MC-1000, Reloop RMX-40 :: Reloop Terminal Mix 4 :: Korg nanoKONTROL :: Traktor 2.6.1
    Latest Mix: June Progressive House (Soundcloud)

Quote Originally Posted by SlvrDragon50 View Post
    If you're mixing where you can hold a conversation at a normal volume, I would call bullshit on their noise complaint. 50' is a LOT of space for sound to travel.

That said, if you're having to yell or talk louder than normal, you're playing too loud. Bass goes straight through walls, there's not much you can do about that. If your bass is shaking your house, IMO, it's way too loud. I don't see a reason to mix that loud unless you're mixing for a party or something.

If you aren't violating sound violations, I honestly wouldn't worry too much about it.
    I prefer to mix play my music pretty loud because I'm passionate about it and headphones aren't as enjoyable to me. I have an oddly-shaped room that has phenomenal acoustics when music is played loudly, at least that's my excuse to play it loud.

My house was also built in 1910 and has no insulation and it also built above the ground, so I imagine both of those contribute to bass travel. Even with the bass turned up all the way and my volume at my preferred level, it doesn't shake the floor in the front of the house, only my room and the adjacent room.

I'm positive I'm not violating sound laws, but I still want to be courteous and at least try to accommodate my neighbors a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by guiltyblade View Post
    Have you ever actually tested how far the sound travels? Like play a mix at the normal level then walk out and see?
    Yes. I've turned it up to my preferred level, opened the sliding door to my room and walked to the wall in my backyard (approximately 40 feet). At that distance I could hear it, but not enough to where I think it would be bothering neighbors. At that distance I definitely can't hear bass either.

I'm not even using a crazy monitor setup either, just these: http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Z-230.../dp/B0002SQ2P2

Tech Guru

I wouldn't bother you have to pay serious money to actually soundproof something, if you rent insider moving if you own your own place call up your local studio and ask for advise on studio sound proofing.

Either that or turn down your stereo mate

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast