Reusing samples, synths, in production
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Reusing samples, synths, in production

So here's a problem that I've encountered as a producer: If I find a particular synth setting that I've made and like, or if I find a particular sample that I like, is it acceptable to use it in more than one song?

Here's an explanation of that question. Let's say I made a really tight setting in a soft synth. For the sake of the discussion, let's also say that it's a lead, sawtooth sound, that is predominant in the song. Now, if I make a song using this setting, is it acceptable to use that same setting again in a future production? (Assuming, of course, that the new production does not have a similar melody.)

Now, I'm not looking for an answer that is "who cares if it acceptable or not? do what you want." Because- obviously- I know that I can do what I want. All I'm saying is don't you think it would be a bit boring if you bought a CD and all of the songs used the same synth sound?

I guess this problem digs deeper into something I've been wondering about for a while. Guitar players, realistically, use the same (or very similar) sound on all of their recordings. However, if an EDM producer did this, it probably wouldn't be accepted very well.

It almost seems to be that producers are obligated to come up with new sounds on every release. I understand that's part of the job, but going back to my guitar comparison, the sound of a guitar isn't dramatically changed on every album a band makes.

Sorry for being long winded. I'm just interested in what people have to say.
    LamboxMusic.com
    Newest release: A Pimp's Overture in B-Flat Minor
    Check out my free "Robo Rhythm" EP: Here

Soundcloud - Facebook - Twitter

ATB reused the same synth sound on many songs on "Movin' Melodies". The "Sandstorm" synths have been used several times over, including reused by Darude, for no other reason than it made a hit so duplicate it.

And relating it to guitar bands, if you take a listen to any release by Linkin Park, and then listen to the next CD, you will notice that most of there songs have the exact same chord changes in them, not to mention they fall in almost exactly the same order compared to the prior release. Many bands do this.

I would say do what works, and using the same sounds over again has worked for a lot of producers.

13" MacBook Pro 2.7 i7 w/dual Raid0 OWC SSDs - S4 - Ableton Live 8- Lemur- iPad 2

Tech Wizard

the problem is that a lot of EDM doesn't have complex melodical stuff. what make song interesting is the sound design part so obviously use the exact same patch is a bit missing the point i guess...
    but use different fx or resample and turn it into something else and you'll have totally different sounds !

Tech Guru

i think it's a good idea to save your good synth patches. it'll save you a bit of time if you have a bank of original patches to go back to once in awhile, that way you can focus on writing.

i have really terrible producing habbits that i'm trying to overcome, including not saving my synth patches.

Quote Originally Posted by DJPhaidon View Post
    will notice that most of there songs have the exact same chord changes in them, not to mention they fall in almost exactly the same order compared to the prior release.
    *cough* Pendulum *cough*

Quote Originally Posted by BentoSan View Post
    *cough* Pendulum *cough*
    lol was thinking about pendulum the whole time. i knew one of the dnb heads would come up with this sooner or later

the problem is that a lot of EDM doesn't have complex melodical stuff. what make song interesting is the sound design part so obviously use the exact same patch is a bit missing the point i guess...
    but use different fx or resample and turn it into something else and you'll have totally different sounds !
    i very much agree to this! what's important at the end is that the new song doesn't sound like a remix of the old one but like a totally new song.

with EDM i would even go so far to say, that since a dj will usually pick the tracks from alot of different artists, the main audience won't listen to all of your tracks and feel like they're all the same but they will listen to one of your tracks that the dj feels it's the best and they will love the synth if it's good.

ever since i got into buyin EDM online for my own sets i feel like EP-releases with like two tracks and some remixes on it are alot more interesting than LP-releases with alot of songs by one artist. it really makes you pick the best by whoever instead of picking the newest album by your favorite artist with 5 tracks on it that you don't like at all.

Quote Originally Posted by thanatos View Post
    Exactly. Chopin could get away with writing so much for piano because the music is complex in many other ways; if he had written all his Noctures with the melodic complexity of a Wolfgang Gartner track it would have been crap.

There should be at least one thing, usually more than one, original about each different track, whether that is the melody, lyrics, chords, synth sound, etc.
    Balls of Steel
    DJ/Producer
    SoundCloud | Twitter | Website

At the same time, I don't think it's fair to say that all EDM is lacking in melody. I also don't think it's fair to compare classical music to EDM. That's like saying guys that play soccer have no athletic ability because they don't use their hands. Kind of.

I don't want this to turn into one of those debates, tho.

ever since i got into buyin EDM online for my own sets i feel like EP-releases with like two tracks and some remixes on it are alot more interesting than LP-releases with alot of songs by one artist. it really makes you pick the best by whoever instead of picking the newest album by your favorite artist with 5 tracks on it that you don't like at all.
    I think that says a lot about society, too, in general. People aren't interested in hearing everything that you have to offer. They want to hear the best of your best and move on to something else.

Not to get all philosophical about it, I'm just sayin'.
    LamboxMusic.com
    Newest release: A Pimp's Overture in B-Flat Minor
    Check out my free "Robo Rhythm" EP: Here

Soundcloud - Facebook - Twitter

I don't mean to insult EDM or anything; I'm a big house and electro head. Deep, funky, electro, tech, minimal, whatever. I'm just saying that as far as musical features go, melody is not as prominent and important as it is in some other styles of music. With EDM, it's more about rhythm, tone color, texture, instrumentation, etc.; the melody is usually repetitive less complex. Of course, there are exceptions, but that's the general picture.

Again, this does not diminish the quality of music at all; it just makes it different. No hate!
    Balls of Steel
    DJ/Producer
    SoundCloud | Twitter | Website

Tech Mentor

I think it would be perfectly acceptable to reuse synth patches in songs. A lot of bands I listen to do this all the time, and it is one of the things that help define them as a group. Once you find your particular 'sound,' you stick with it if it works for you.

For example: Funker Vogt uses the same twangy/bouncy sounding synth in a lot of their tracks, and its one of those things that help define them.
    I'm not good at things, but I like to pretend I am.
    :Project-Segfault:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast