Djing for LONG periods of time
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Djing for LONG periods of time

Id like to get some input / tips from anyone here at DJTT . I booked a GIG djing an obstacle race , all ages event , obviously TOP40 and High Energy music with some MCing, but my question has anyone done something like this? It is a 12 hour event , if you have; what are your thoughts on approaching the music? I was probably going to do 3-4 hours of programming then just vary it up as the crowd will cycle in 2-4 hour waves.

I can imagine that the way you suggested will be the easiest, unless you have a massive library and feel like crate digging for 12 hours. It's gonna be a struggle to keep motivated for that long though!!

Although you could find some good tracks that you haven't played for years if you do go crate digging, I'm always doing this at some of my longer gigs (5+ hours) and always come across some gems that I love!
    Mobile DJ. 2 x Denon SC2900, Denon MC-6000 MK2, Wharfedale Titan 15a Powered Speakers, Titan A15 Subs, HP laptop. Shed load of lights!! Maschine Mikro MK2, Xone:K2.

2nd Generation Mobile DJ
    2G on Twitter | 2G on Facebook
    | RobDQuick On Soundcloud

Tech Mentor

i did an event a few years ago on New Years Eve, where I was DJing from 10pm to 5am. .....not as long as yours, but still a fair old slog.

I did the bulk of it live, but I also had a couple of pre-mixed half hour mixes that i popped in to the night to give me a couple of breaks.
    Cheers

IAN WILLIAMS

iTunes playlists in between when you are actually mixing? Alternatively if there is a net connection, load up something like Songza.

Or bite the bullet and mix for 12 hours. :P

Well, maybe the type of event and music demand a different strategy, but I approach sets of all lengths the same way: I have an idea for the track I want to open with and then just start playing - and don't stop until the fat lady sings
    The only annoying thing about long sets are the necessary toilet breaks, but everything else is so much more awesome than with short sets
    Last edited by 3heads; 06-04-2013 at 12:56 PM. Reason: a word got lost in type-lation....
    13,3" MacBookPro (Mid 2012) # 2x Technics 1210 # NI Audio 8 DJ # Ecler Nuo 2.0 # NI Traktor Kontrol X1 # Sennheiser HD-25
    http://soundcloud.com/vincent-lebaron/

DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

I'm with 3 heads on this one. Maybe have some rough playlists to gather some tunes you want to play in no particular order and don't be afraid of repeating the hits every now and then. Take it easy, it's a long run and nobody will be likely to care if you are pulling mad skills on the decks, remember the people are there for the race.
    Don't forget to avoid explicit lyrics as well, it's a family event

One last thing, try to have someone else come with you to watch over your stuff when you need to make a pee run and avoid attendees to go all wiki wiki on your gear.

A chair.

Even when I'm expected to mix for like 6 hours, I'll make sure I've got some sort of chair or stool to rest on between tracks, especially if it's Top 40 stuff where there's a lot of waiting around for the tracks to play out.
    For Sale: Handmade Custom DJ Cables - RCA / TRS / XLR!
    Gear: 2x Reloop Contour, Zomo MC-1000, Reloop RMX-40 :: Reloop Terminal Mix 4 :: Korg nanoKONTROL :: Traktor 2.6.1
    Latest Mix: June Progressive House (Soundcloud)

12 hour gig? if they paid decent. hire 2 other dj's ... any which way it's all about programming. separate the gig into time slots and make playlist according to that time slot so you have some direction in your set.

You could always just play 12 hours worth of Daft Punk - Get Lucky remixes and get yourself into the Guinness Book of Records
    For Sale: Handmade Custom DJ Cables - RCA / TRS / XLR!
    Gear: 2x Reloop Contour, Zomo MC-1000, Reloop RMX-40 :: Reloop Terminal Mix 4 :: Korg nanoKONTROL :: Traktor 2.6.1
    Latest Mix: June Progressive House (Soundcloud)

Record a few mixes, and play them as breaks as others have said. A few 20 minute mixes should get you through your 12 hour shift. Give your ears a break every 2-3 hours.
    2 x gemini PT 1000 . Gemini PS-525 . X1
    NI Audio 6 . Traktor Scratch pro 2
    2007 Macbook Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by The Mighty FV View Post
    manners don't cost a thing dude - never forget that, it'll help you in all walks of life.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast