DJing for 13 year old girls
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default DJing for 13 year old girls

Yeah I'm serious; I agreed to DJ a bat mitzvah. I've been told that the girl is into "all that techno stuff that's popular now"; I assume they didn't mean Seth Troxler or DVS1.... Honestly short of Harlem Shake and Gangnam Style I really haven't paid much attention to top 40 dance music in several years. I'm sure I have enough stuff to keep people happy but I don't want to be caught empty-handed when it comes to requests. Of course you can never predict what people will request but what's the easiest way to make sure I have the goods that 13-year old girls will be most likely to ask for? Any essential compilations for pure popular stuff that I should look into? Or suggestions of stuff I should not miss?
    "Art is what you can get away with." - Marshall McLuhan

just make sure you've got the top 40 for the oast couple of months and you'll be good
    Parts
    Technics 1210//CDJ400//DDM4000//X1//Audio 10//MBP 15" Mid 2012

It's hard to say what the "right" music is. I've been doing mobile DJ'ing for 8 years of my 14 year career and for at least the first 4 years, I worked diligently to build up my library to have 9 out of 10 requests that people ask for.

The really difficult thing is that shows like "Glee" have re-popularized old songs like "Sweet Caroline" by Neil Diamond, so getting the last few decades may not cut it.

Here's a funny anecdote: I DJ'd for a university graduation recently and a girl asked me for "oldies", when I asked what she considered "oldies" she said Backstreet Boys lol.

If you were in Toronto I'd share my entire library with you.

I'd be willing to send you an excel spreadsheet of my playlist if that'll help. I've already done that for a few people here.

Just remember, 13 will get ya 20....

find out if your venue has a fast wifi connection and bring a second piece of equipment to run iTunes/Juno/beat port dls on and your pretty much set for requests. can have anything you need within a few transitions. also at events like that putting a line out to the hosts of the event to get a list of music that WILL BE REQUESTED isent a bad idea so you can have it all in its own folder. any wedding i have ever played i always find out what the couples first dance will be as well as the mother/son father/daughter dances and several others. also make sure anything you get is radio-edit version. if you playing a venue for 13 year olds mom and pop will not re-book you EVER if you play tracks that drop the F-bomb pretty much at all.

Quote Originally Posted by tokenasianguy View Post
    I'd be willing to send you an excel spreadsheet of my playlist if that'll help. I've already done that for a few people here.
    That would be fantastic if you could! Like the Neil Diamond thing, there are probably a lot of surprises that I wouldn't think of so I appreciate the help.
    Quote Originally Posted by William Gibson View Post
    Just remember, 13 will get ya 20....
    Hahahah man no worries there I think even 30 is too young for me these days. I might be checking out some of their moms though...
    "Art is what you can get away with." - Marshall McLuhan

If you can have wifi and itunes to hand you should be able to download and play most requests
    CLUB OF JACKS - RELEASES >>TRAXSOURCE
    Club of Jacks are a London based House & Garage production / DJ duo with releases on a number of underground labels including Plastik People Recordings, Blockhead Recordings, Hi Energy!, Pocket Jacks Trax, Soul Revolution Records and their own Club of Jacks imprint.

Quote Originally Posted by djproben View Post
    Yeah I'm serious; I agreed to DJ a bat mitzvah. I've been told that the girl is into "all that techno stuff that's popular now"; I assume they didn't mean Seth Troxler or DVS1....

If kids come up to you and ask you to play techno, please drop some stuff like DVS1 and Audio Injection and report back, for science. Never too young to get em started, they might eat it up.

4rlz they might like cheesy crap like Krewella thats popular on youtube. I have no idea what 13 year olds listen to but I wouldn't doubt it. Honestly quite a bit of the cheesier vocal stuff that gets into the beatport top 100 sounds like it would go over well with middle schoolers. Find a way to get a wifi connection or be able to tether your phone maybe?

I provided my sound system and some lasers and lights for a mate of mines 10yr olds birthday party a few weeks ago. 1 direction, Britney spears, bruno mars and all the associated wank was the order of the day. He also played the Auto tuned remix of charles ramsey giving an interview. I shit you not! The beautiful innocence of a child had no idea what it was, other than the fact it sounded fun. Also climbing tree's makes you a boss to kids, especially if you can get to the fifth branch.

A+H DB4, Technics 1210's x2, F1, X1MK2 x2, MaschineMk2, Akai LPK 25, MF3D, XDJ-1000 x2.

this on repeat

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast