DJing for Filipinos?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default DJing for Filipinos?

Hey DJTT,

I'm getting ready for a birthday party gig on Sunday whose audience is comprised of basically all older-aged filipinos (and some teenage filipinos around my age). As a filipino myself, I'm wondering if anyone out there has DJ'd for filipinos specifically before. Like, is there a specific genre the older filipinos enjoy or definitely do not enjoy? From my knowledge, the older filipinos only enjoy 80s music and line dancing while the teenagers only like the popular stuff, which will make for an interesting gig. Any thoughts and comments are welcome.

NI Kontrol S2 l TP2 l Allen and Heath Xone: K2 l NI Kontrol F1 l l Oxygen 49 l Macbook Pro 13" l Odyssey L-Stand l AIAIAI TMA-1 cans l Ableton l FL Studio

3 questions pops up

1. how old do you mean? late 30's 40's 50's 60's? and possibly older?

2. are they traditionally inclined?

3. are there gonna be little kids (14 and under?) or however old little kids are to you.

they're no different from your average "mature" adults in the western world if thats what you're asking. in my experience though, the ladies like to "chat with other ladies, and guys like to drink with other guys" as long as you keep the kids entertained with games and stuff in the early hours, you should be good (these were the traditional crowd). as for teens play the stuff that you like (you did mention that you're the same age as the teens). teenagers mostly like top 40's and the popular stuff on the internet.

and one more thing, be sure to have KARAOKE ready when the guys get tipsy. it sure helped me get them to not fiddle around with my stuff haha. oh im flip too btw cheers!

You pretty much have it figured out. The Filipino crowds I've played for required some ballroom swing and cha cha. You may want to have an extra Mic jack and a plug for an iPod. It was unexpected. Dude brought in a high end Shure Wireless Mic and an iPod with instrumentals so his daughter can sing.
    Last edited by HighTopFade; 06-06-2013 at 10:55 PM.
    Used Record Shopper

Quote Originally Posted by HighTopFade View Post
    You may want to have an extra Mic jack and a plug for an iPod. It was unexpected. Dude brought in a high end Shure Wireless Mic and an iPod with instrumentals so his daughter can sing.
    In my experience, the Filipino's I have met, love karaoke. Seriously.

dubstep?

Quote Originally Posted by MRG12EG View Post
    dubstep?
    Based on my son and his friends' tastes in music, not so much. They're more into hiphip, r&B, and more mainstream top 40. Of course every area is different.
    Used Record Shopper

Thanks for the responses, guys. I've so far had no problem compiling all of my top 40 stuff for the younger ones and teens. I'm pretty sure I have a little mainstream dubstep in there for them too. However, I'm still working on getting cha cha, swing, tango, etc. for the older filipinos. And i've decided karaoke is a must hahah. Definitely overlooked that.
    NI Kontrol S2 l TP2 l Allen and Heath Xone: K2 l NI Kontrol F1 l l Oxygen 49 l Macbook Pro 13" l Odyssey L-Stand l AIAIAI TMA-1 cans l Ableton l FL Studio

Quote Originally Posted by MRG12EG View Post
    dubstep?
    lol
    Quote Originally Posted by donstone View Post
    I only use VINYL flooring. Rugs are for cheaters.
    Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    If you can't find an Abba song that you like, you are a liar of the highest order.

have to agree with what you said, old people like the music for their era and the young ones anything that's new that can make them dance.

dude, im married to a filipina, so ive actually been to a tonnes of parties...
    these songs get the old folks dancing
    Aly Us - Follow Me
    Earth Wind and Fire - September
    Michael Jackson- PYT
    Billy Ray Cyrus- Achy Breaky HEart
    Electric Slide
    Knock 3 times
    Venga Boyz- SHa Na Na Na

Good Luck

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast