What do you charge?

Default What do you charge?

Hey all -
    For an upcoming article, we're looking into charging for DJ gigs and how one goes about doing so. We're just about wrapped up, but we'd like to know what some of you guys charge at various tiers of performance. So, if you're comfortable, shout out what you typically charge, and perhaps a few words on where you're from.

Just verifying here - Flaxo is a DJTT intern and totally legit.

Tech Convert

I'm sure this isn't useful on any quantitative scale, but I refuse to charge for non-venue shows, and even then, I really don't want people's money so much as their attentions. I tend to take any money received and set it aside to cycle right back into CDR purchases for more promo discs.

Tech Mentor

I was about to say, "Oh god, this thread again." Glad spacecamp called it out!

I'm not a big-shot by any means. My normal rates for being in NC typically depend on the event, and how much equipment I have to bring and time I have to spend. For me bringing my basic PA and lighting rig anywhere and putting on a show, my starting rates are $300 for the first 3 hours, and $75 for each hour after that. Could probably get away with charging more depending on the circumstances, but this is honestly more of a hobby for me than anything else, so the money is secondary. Would be interested to hear some of the seasoned vets chime in on this one.
    Traktor Kontrol Z2 | 2x Stanton ST-150 Turntables | Traktor Kontrol F1 | MacBook

www.mixcloud.com/sunshineraleigh

Mobile. $100/hr 5 hours minimum for music and basic lighting. We charge extra for an emcee, video projector, and video screen.
    Used Record Shopper

Tech Mentor

When I play in clubs I charge £30 an hour for commercial nights. Well I charge £30 an hour for whatever event I do really where I only have to bring my laptop and controller.

I go by if I come away from the night feeling like it was a waste of time and I don't want to do it again, I have charged too little, and if I feel embarrassed when taking the money it mens I have charged too much.

I charge less if I can play the music I like

Usually don't like to say... Depends on the gig and the amount of gear I bring out.

I charge a flat rate per gig, but breaking it down, I usually end up averaging $50 to $100 an hour for private events or bar/club gigs. I do live in a destination wedding area, though, and charge anywhere from $1000- $2500 for weddings (including lighting packages and dancefloor).

... Although I have been known to fill in at my local bars for booze and food...

Intoxicated /adj./ When you feel sophisticated without being able to pronounce it.

facebook.com/DJJakeLake
    jakelake.info

Tech Mentor

At my "residency", a small Bar where i also used to work at as a bartender, i get 25$ per hour plus free booze, so its 125$ per night. I play a 4-5hr set there once per month. It's my first gigs as a paid DJ so i mostly do it for the experience i gain and with the money i get i can cover the expenses for my new tunes that i would buy anyway. And i also like the people working there and know many of the patrons, so yeah, i also do it as kind of a favor.
    Macbook Pro, TP 2.6, 2* Kontrol X1, A&H xone:92, NI Maschine, 2* KRK Rokit 5s, Sennheiser HD 25-II
    http://www.mixcloud.com/_volpe/